A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to keep your finger oils off your work?  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiandmoi
« on: November 17, 2005 10:06:22 AM »

Does anyone have a good way to keep your hand oils off your work other than washing your hands all the time? I usually knit with washable yarns so it usually isn't a problem since the FOs can go through the machine. But I want to make some things with silk or cashmere yarns which are not washable, and I would like them to start their life free of hand oils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005 08:08:20 PM »

I don't think you need to worry about this.  As long as your hands are clean (ie no food or anything on them) when you start knitting each time, there's nothing to worry about.  In fact, many people use special lotions while knitting (there are some made specifically for knitters). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005 10:54:25 AM »

I knit for hours at a time. So after a while my nice clean dry hands become my nice oily sticky hands. Handling the wool doesn't dry out my hands, it makes them oily and sticky. I might try some premoisturizing them with a lanolin based lotion since that would be wool safe. Has anyone tried Gloves in a Bottle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005 04:32:40 PM »

maybe you have an allergy or something? i've never known anyone to have a problem to where it interferes with their work...

do you mean sweaty or actually oily??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005 05:03:19 PM »

I don't know if it is oily or sweaty. But my hands get sticky and dirt is attracted to that stickiness. I don't think it is sweaty because it is more in my fingers and inbetween my fingers than my palms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HappyMadison87
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005 06:23:56 PM »

Even if you knit for hours at a time, could you maybe take a five minute break periodically to wash/rinse your hands and let them cool off? Or perhaps wearing latex gloves or something? I sort of have that problem when working with wire jewellery, and my hands start to slip. Really the only thing that works is regular washing or just wiping the sweat/oil off with a paper towel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
How to Cast Actors for a Play
How to Deal with Difficult Actors
How to Be a Theatre Director
How to Direct a Play
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...