A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Antonio crafters???  (Read 13181 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheShan
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006 08:04:11 PM »

Find stuff?
HOW THE SAM DARN HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?

I wanna do the Austin stuff..... wahhhhhhhhhh!
Seriously, you just never know with thrift stores.
Oh yeah.... on the corner of Haight?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I SO want to go to San Francisco!
Everytime I watch the Myth Busters, and they hit a thrift store, I start up aying "must go there, cool cali crap, Adam and Jamie get cool crap there...."

So, my best friend (who is currently having big brush/large trash pick up in her neighborhood) was like "I have some craft stuff I am getting rid of, so either come look through it and find something you want. or I put it at the curb."
WHY IS SHE MY FRIEND?Huh? Gross abuse of crafting crap, ... 100 year penalty! Oh yeah, I took it... like a hussy. She had knitting stuff she had never used, it just had sat in her house(s) for like(ahem) TEN FREAKING YEARS.
OK, I know I am 35, so I shouldn't say "like" so much, but this was a serious judgement error/ crafting infraction in my mind. But the stuff did have a bottle of tacky glue, which I needed, and kept me out of Micheal's since some people were talking about the stocking up sale. BAD TEAPOTDONKEY!!! LOL

Seriously, thrifting, clearance sale-ing, I wish I had the time to garage sale! My friend's mother-in-law, and other people always think of her, since she hosts all the parties. They will find Wilton cake pans in garage sales all the time, for cheap. And, I am sure there are alot of crafter-burnout garage sales, if only I knew where to find the secret knitting needle graveyard.....
hmmmmmmmmmmm

So, what stores in downtown San Antonio... I hardly ever go downtown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006 10:35:31 PM »

Find stuff?
HOW THE SAM DARN HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?

I wanna do the Austin stuff..... wahhhhhhhhhh!
Seriously, you just never know with thrift stores.
Oh yeah.... on the corner of Haight?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I SO want to go to San Francisco!
Everytime I watch the Myth Busters, and they hit a thrift store, I start up aying "must go there, cool cali crap, Adam and Jamie get cool crap there...."

So, my best friend (who is currently having big brush/large trash pick up in her neighborhood) was like "I have some craft stuff I am getting rid of, so either come look through it and find something you want. or I put it at the curb."
WHY IS SHE MY FRIEND?Huh? Gross abuse of crafting crap, ... 100 year penalty! Oh yeah, I took it... like a hussy. She had knitting stuff she had never used, it just had sat in her house(s) for like(ahem) TEN FREAKING YEARS.
OK, I know I am 35, so I shouldn't say "like" so much, but this was a serious judgement error/ crafting infraction in my mind. But the stuff did have a bottle of tacky glue, which I needed, and kept me out of Micheal's since some people were talking about the stocking up sale. BAD TEAPOTDONKEY!!! LOL

Seriously, thrifting, clearance sale-ing, I wish I had the time to garage sale! My friend's mother-in-law, and other people always think of her, since she hosts all the parties. They will find Wilton cake pans in garage sales all the time, for cheap. And, I am sure there are alot of crafter-burnout garage sales, if only I knew where to find the secret knitting needle graveyard.....
hmmmmmmmmmmm

So, what stores in downtown San Antonio... I hardly ever go downtown.

There's a whole bunch of little boutiques EVERYWHERE downtown. The thing is they aren't in the main part, where all the bars and museums are. I'm not completely sure, but I have a hunch that there might be some some home-run thrift stores in the King William area. Alot of independent businesses pull up shop around that area.

Oh, and did anyone attend this past Folklife Festival? Mucho mucho craftiness going on there. I was working for a cooking sample thing and next to us was a whole bunch of little ladies selling beads and such. It was almost enough to ditch work and spend the entire time there salivating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
TheShan
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006 11:02:58 PM »

For the first time in years, I missed it.
And I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO going to pester the tatting and lacemaking ladies like all friggin day. Plus the spinner lady.
Funds were low, so was fun.
Sniff.
What type of beadmaking?
Glass? Clay?
Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Tell me you had a Lebanese shish kebab. Tell me how succulent and juicy it was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006 05:18:27 AM »

For the first time in years, I missed it.
And I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO going to pester the tatting and lacemaking ladies like all friggin day. Plus the spinner lady.
Funds were low, so was fun.
Sniff.
What type of beadmaking?
Glass? Clay?
Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Tell me you had a Lebanese shish kebab. Tell me how succulent and juicy it was.
It was mostly just abunch of little ladies stringing different types beads into necklaces. Not so much Folklife as 'buy my stuff.'

And no, I didn't get to try it! I was, like, right across the way too! I'd been eyeing it the entire festival, too. I'd just been too busy spending all my tokens on shaved ice during breaks.

I remember there was this one really cool jewllery vendor by the back entrance to the institute. She would curl wire and then bend it into a teardrop shape. Then she'd take multi-coloured metallic thread and use the wire as a loom. The colours were sooo pretty, too. I know she has a website, I just can't for the life of me remember it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheesy
McJulie-O
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006 05:28:26 AM »

Think, Hobaker, THINK! You can do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006 05:34:07 AM »

I found it!
These are exactly the type of earrings they were, but I'm not 100% on if they are by the same person.

http://www.mandalajewels.net/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheesy
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006 06:24:23 AM »

I've seen those... at a craft fair in Corpus... the fiddly part is the spring on a wire to weave the thread onto... somewhere I saw an article on making pendant very similar to these, but it was missing the pictures (1970's craft 'zine of some sort) once I saw one in person everything clicked though...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
McJulie-O
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006 07:05:10 AM »

I found it!
These are exactly the type of earrings they were, but I'm not 100% on if they are by the same person.

http://www.mandalajewels.net/

I KNEW you could do it! Pretty, pretty! I can see why you were distracted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006 08:32:09 AM »

I've seen those... at a craft fair in Corpus... the fiddly part is the spring on a wire to weave the thread onto... somewhere I saw an article on making pendant very similar to these, but it was missing the pictures (1970's craft 'zine of some sort) once I saw one in person everything clicked though...

Mieka

I think that they're actually really easy to make. Like a 'Why would I spend that much on the finished product when I'm just going to spend that much on materials making it my way?'-kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheesy
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006 10:31:23 AM »

I think that they're actually really easy to make. Like a 'Why would I spend that much on the finished product when I'm just going to spend that much on materials making it my way?'-kind of thing.

given when I saw the booth the lady who was running it had her two kids working in the back going "wrap, wrap, wrap, tie" as she was up front pitching it as a "dying art form" ($40 for a pendant that I just watched an eight year old make in under ten minutes...yeah.. dying..)

I'm not saying it doesn't take skill to wrap everything tight and neat, but hide the kids better.  My first attempt took about 40 minutes to wind the base coil, shape it, wrap the thread and finish the pendant. not neat, not even, but workable.  Practice would take care of the rest.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pop-Up Predators Book Trailer
Embrace the Struggle Book Trailer
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Karyl McBride
Dannii Minogue Talks About Her Autobiography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...