A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Antonio crafters???  (Read 13166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rabbit_sun
« on: November 15, 2005 07:38:50 AM »

We moved here in March, and I pretty much hate it here.  Sad  I'm not one to go out and explore, because I don't know where to start, and sometimes I end up in scary places.
I'd like to find some cool, secret thrift stores that are full of crafty goodness.  Thrift Town is kind of jacked up on their prices, and it is kind of empty (the one on Nacogdoches).  I like to dig for treasure.  I've been to the Goodwills on Eisenhauer and Austin Hwy as well.  I live in NE SA... In Windcrest...
Also, is there a JoAnne's here? 
Any craft groups?  Any other military wives?  My husband is stationed at Randolph AFB...
I want to be on the crafty secrets of San Antonio...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No alarms and no surprises, please. -Radiohead
piratejane

We're all mad here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 10:49:02 PM »

I know it's been almost a month since you posted this but I just saw it and i thought I would try to be helpful. I haven't been living here very long either, I'm here for school. (UTSA) I know there are a few Joanne's here, as well as a few other places like Joanne's. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any good thriftstores either, ;et me know if you have.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Salome

Down too far to care.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005 12:32:07 PM »

Don't give up on San Antonio yet! Maybe it isn't much like where you came from, but it has great food, super nice people and fun times.

Head over to the King William area: THere is a pretty funky vintage clothing/thrift store on S. Alamo by the Blue Star.. I think it is called Jazz. There are lots of goodwills/salvation army's around: scope out the phone book.

There are quilt shops(N. New Braunfels in Alamo Heights), yarn stores (Yarn Barn on McCollough @ Olmos in Olmos Park), fabric stores (JoAnn Fabric & Handcock, look in the book). My suggestion is to go to the Yarn Barn and talk to the ladies in there-- They are professional crafters and will know all the secrets.

Making a new city your own is about establishing connections: make a friend at a craft store and she can let you in on all the great crafty things San Antonio has to offer. If you get discouraged, just grab a margarita!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You gotta do something besides kill drifters to get erections.
piratejane

We're all mad here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005 09:05:29 AM »

Hey thanks! I'll definately be going by the yarn barn sometime, I just started crocheting again..but i don't have much yarn... and now that it's christmas break I have a little more time to drive around and look for places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005 11:14:12 AM »

My sense of where anything is in this town in completely screwy, so you'll have to excuse me.

My favorite thrift store is the Texas Thrift and Dollar Only. It's located off Walzem road. It's wonderful, because half the store is a dollar store, and half is a thrift store. It's gigantic and most of the time barren of people.

It's also located next to the Flea Market Gigante. It used to be an old WalMart, but then buisness started to go flat. Not alot of people go to that area since the mall turned into a "bazaar". Well anyway, sometimes it's fun in there.

On top of that, there's a goodwill down the road and a Bargain Barn across the street next to the carpet place. And around the corner is my favorite chinese food place, China Harbor.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
rabbit_sun
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005 10:18:26 AM »

Hobaker:
I live right around the corner from the Thrift and Dollar, but it always looked closed.  Now, I know why.  I will definitely have to try it out, as its only a 10 minute trip (I live in Windcrest).
Awesome suggestion!
I don't knit, but I sew, so I am always on the lookout for some fun fabrics, vintage or otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No alarms and no surprises, please. -Radiohead
krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006 02:51:27 PM »

The only crafts store near my house here is Hobby Lobby.  Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006 05:33:22 PM »

I, too, missed this thread, but I live in New Braunfels, not too far away.

Most of the NB places are rather hit and miss, although the Senior Citizen center Thrift shop (Landa St near Walnut), though small, has an occasional goodie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nesatchr
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006 03:26:14 PM »

Me, I just joined.
By now, you probably know that Jo-Ann and Hobby Lobby cna both be found in the decrepit Crossroads mall at 10 and 410. The good hting about that is easy comparison shopping. For a fun crafty time, go to Nomadic Notions on Broadway in Alamo Heights. You can make jewelry there and borrow their tools. I love going there, but as I have two small children who would gleefully topple the drawers and drawers of tiny beads, I can only rarely go, when my husband can stay home. San Antonio does have a lot to offer, especially if you stay inside loop 410.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheShan
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006 09:32:46 PM »

OK... I'm a San Antonio native.
Thrift Town is TOTALLY hit or miss. That being said, I go there a few times a week.
They get donations daily, I think over 3,000 a day... so are constantly restocking.
Sometimes the prices are way high, but sometimes, I am like "bwahh haha hahahahaheehee"!!!!!
They will get a partial roll of upholstery fabric and price it for $5.99, and if you don't grab it right away.....(happened last week!)
Since you are in Wincrest, I am sorry to tell you you just missed the big Wincrest community garage sale, but alot of these neighborhood sales go on this side of town. I think Northern Hills has theirs in July or August, Hollywood Hills just had theirs. They will often have maps printed with the participating households marked.
JoAnn's on Perrin-Beitle is closest of their stores, then Brook Hollow, then Crossroads.
Hobby Lobby at the Forum, and Michael's in your area are close, but Michael's isn't a sewer's paradise.
WalMart has some fabric, and is open 24-7, I think there is a Salvation Army inside Loop 410 on West Avenue, but I can't remember where.
BTW, if you haven't already, sign up for JoAnn's sales flyer. There is usually a 40% off coupon on back......yeaaaaaaaah!
Also, remember to get on their email list..... sometimes you get online only coupons, sometimes in-store. And check the websites for JoAnn, and Hobby Lobby for printable coupons.
In the Sunday paper, Michael's often has a flyer with a 40% off coupon.
Also in Sunday's paper, on the back page of the comic section, the bottom half of the page is the Hobby Lobby ad. SOMETIMES, like about every other week, there is a 40% off coupon.
Good luck.

BTW, get used to all the delish (and fattening) Tex-Mex food!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Erin Downing Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal the Talents They Wish They Had
The Dressmaker Book Trailer
Mosh Potatoes Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Certain Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...