A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Antonio crafters???  (Read 13052 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hobaker
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007 06:36:31 PM »

Hi there!  My husband and I may be moving to San Antonio this summer (in the hot, hot, heat).

Could you all suggest good neighborhoods to look in?  We are looking to buy something in the lower 100k.  We want a fun neighborhood, not suburbia.  Does that exist affordably in San Antonio?  We are a young couple with no kids.  We are big on using public transportation and biking to get where we need to go, so I guess downtown would be a good place to start.

I'm sorry this is so off topic of thrift stores.  Maybe it's on topic for being new to the area? Embarrassed  Thanks for any suggestions!

Maybe somewhere off broadway....?

I know there's a buttload of kitchy little shops and thrift stores around there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007 07:37:34 AM »

I know the OP said she didn't knit, but I thought I'd put this up here for anyone who does. I found a yarn shop right by my house called Yarnivore. I've only been in once, (last week) but the women there are CRAZY nice. I had my youngest with me in a sling and they were all "Sit down here to feed her, let us get you a book, etc." They have some couches there so you can just sit and knit, and one of them took me on a little tactile tour of all the yarns in the shop. I think it's a little more expensive than the internet (the ball of Noro Kureyon I bought was $9) but it's good Karma to support small, women-owned businesses. :-)
The website is http://www.yarnivoresa.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2007 09:27:21 AM »

I love that place! I bought a bunch of roving there. It just felt soooo yummy! The lady is really nice too. Her whole family is actually. It is a little pricey for someone like me who may not make as much use of all her wonderful stuff, but the way it's organized makes you want to jump in like it's a pile of leaves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Mouth
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007 07:18:47 PM »

Jane Dough-I suggest downtown as well.  Off Broadway is good (I can speak from 1st hand experience).  If you need more suggestions PM me.  I have lived (and live) in several cool neighborhoods....stay away from the 'burbs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2007 02:09:35 PM »

Ok this is thread necromancy only because I am new to craftster-
Estate sales ladies! (and gentlemen if there are any).

We don't have monster culture centers like Austin or Dallas but what we have is a huge community or retired military- retired military who were officers, traveling the world and bringing home goodies from every country they stopped in. In the 30's it was China, in the 40's Korea, the 50's all over Europe, the 60's Japan.

I've picket up some incredible finds- ten yards of gorgeous chocolate colored taffeta from Germany, uncut, with it's original recipt dated 1946, for $5.  A Japanese 50's era pencil skirt in gold brocade for $1 that fit like it was made for me. A commercial blind hem stitch machine, working, for $50. The remnants of a real 1940's silk parachute for $2. All here in boring old SA.

I've seen beautiful Japanse woodcuts go for $20 each, persian rugs for under $1000. Vintage photos are often priced 10/ $1 or similar, books are often $1 hardback & 25 cents paperback.

My favorite thrift stores are on West Avenue & Jackson-Keller inside loop 410, there's a Salvation Army, Junior League & the Youth Alternatives in a 4 block stretch. Personally I prefer doing business with these over thrift Town as TT is a business, the others are charities. (Youth Alternatives is a runaway shelter).

Too bad I missed the get together-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007 12:59:58 AM »

We can have another. Besides, it sounds up SALauri's alley and mine too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007 02:59:07 PM »

Speaking of a meet-up, I got this Email today:

Charity Knit-a-thon
Help Yarnivore help Child Protective Services!

On Sunday August 26th, from 11am to 5pm, Yarnivore will host an all day knit-a-thon to benefit the Rainbow Room and CPS. Things you can knit or crochet for the Rainbow Room include (but are not limited to):
Socks for babies through adults
Blankets for babies through adults
Premie and baby clothing
Childrens clothing
Washcloths   
Cold weather items for homeless children
Bring a donation of school supplies or personal hygiene items and receive a coupon for 10% off your next purchase.

I am all about discount yarn, people. The website is www.yarnivoresa.com
This is a really nice, non-snooty yarn shop, and a good cause! They have comfy couches, too.
I'm going to use my stash yarn so I have an excuse to use the 10% off coupon I get, but they will give you 15% off any yarn you purchase for the knit-a-thon. 
I plan on being there, anybody else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007 03:56:45 PM »

But I don't KNOW HOW to knit!!!  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

But the Walmart flyer that came today showed great sales on school supplies such as spiral notebooks and crayons; I may stock up and bring them by Yarnivore just to contribute what I can. I'd like to see this place after all of ya'll's raving about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007 10:03:06 AM »

if you go, I'll teach you how to knit.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
McJulie-O
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007 11:34:53 AM »

if you go, I'll teach you how to knit.  Smiley

This may be my chance!!! I haven't tried knitting since about 5th grade (which was a long LOOOOOOONG time ago)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a One-Pot Almond Crumble Cookie
Joy the Baker Learns How to Make Blackberry Jam
How to Make the Perfect Caramel Apples
A Better Way to Eat an Ice Cream Cone
How to Make Easy and Delicious Walnut Fudge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...