A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Antonio crafters???  (Read 12718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hobaker
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006 10:35:06 AM »

given when I saw the booth the lady who was running it had her two kids working in the back going "wrap, wrap, wrap, tie" as she was up front pitching it as a "dying art form" ($40 for a pendant that I just watched an eight year old make in under ten minutes...yeah.. dying..)

I'm not saying it doesn't take skill to wrap everything tight and neat, but hide the kids better.  My first attempt took about 40 minutes to wind the base coil, shape it, wrap the thread and finish the pendant. not neat, not even, but workable.  Practice would take care of the rest.

Mieka

That sounds like some kind of horrible breaking of the crafting child labor laws.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006 10:39:11 AM »

not illegal if they are *your* kids and it's not during the school year.  She may have just had them there keeping up stock, not 8+ hours a day 7 days a week (shrugs)

And given the choice "wrap gods eyes all weekend and I'll buy you a new playstation game with some of the profits" or "stay with your father and do extra summer homework" (got the impression the father didn't allow computer games or TV watching for fun) what would *you* choose.  I'd be wrapping gods eyes I think.  Unless the father type allows reading...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
hobaker
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006 10:43:53 AM »

So it's a good crafting investment to procreate?

'Bobby, go to mama's sewing box and get her the leopard print fringe...no, that's the....no......no, that's lace, sweetie...'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006 10:47:17 AM »

(wry smile) I wouldn't know... but if it is My brother Robin is sitting on a proverbial gold mine.  All four of his surviving kids craft... Adrian paints, Michael spins, weaves and works bobbin lace, Jerusha embrioders, and Kellian tats.  All of us sew.

What can I say it's in the genes...

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
darksidevegan
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006 12:43:26 PM »

I'm kind of new to the San Antonio ( I grew up in New Braunfels though) and I'm also kind of new to sewing, so I don't have any insite that others haven't stated already. I just check around at the local thrift stores or go to Michaels. If I find any great places I'll be sure to post them on here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.krisaki.wordpress.com
Bento. Fashion. Crafts.

buy clothing, purses, and accesories from me at
sweetheart.etys.com
SanAntonioLauri
Stop whining!

I dunno...I got nuthin'.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006 08:05:37 AM »

Hey guys-I'm brand new to Craftster, but I've been in SA for about exactly one year.  Native Texan though...

Anyway...does anyone here ever get together?  I would love to have a crafting group type thing that got together once in a while, even if it's just to sit in Starbucks and chat and/or work on a little something.  Or go thrifting together.  I also do some mixed media art, but from what I can find, there is nothing going on in this town about that.  And somehow I fell in with a whole big group of Scrapbookers, but I don't scrap! lol!  I'd  just like to make some friends who like what I like...ya know?

I do have some good news...because I spend sooooooooo much time at JoAnn's (lol!) they told me San Antonio is getting a Super JoAnn's!  The store employees don't know exactly when or where, but they think it'll be on the northside on 1604.  Thought I'd pass that along.

So...if anyone ever wants to meet up, please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my work and pictures on Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artsmith/

My Wists List:  http://www.wists.com/Lauri

Who wants an SA/New Braunfels/Austin meeting?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118732.0[/ur]

http://laurismith.blogspot.com
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006 08:18:19 AM »

Sounds fun! I'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
McJulie-O
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006 11:03:46 AM »

I do have some good news...because I spend sooooooooo much time at JoAnn's (lol!) they told me San Antonio is getting a Super JoAnn's!  The store employees don't know exactly when or where, but they think it'll be on the northside on 1604.  Thought I'd pass that along.

A Super Jo-Ann's!?Huh? Whooppee! I would certainly love that! I have gotten hooked on the Super J-A's in Ft Worth near my daughter's house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SanAntonioLauri
Stop whining!

I dunno...I got nuthin'.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006 02:12:22 PM »

I've never been to a Super JoAnn's but, I love regular JoAnn's, and if it's gonna be Super, I can only imagine how cool!  We can bust open the doors together on opening day!  lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my work and pictures on Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artsmith/

My Wists List:  http://www.wists.com/Lauri

Who wants an SA/New Braunfels/Austin meeting?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118732.0[/ur]

http://laurismith.blogspot.com
jane dough
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007 01:17:01 PM »

Hi there!  My husband and I may be moving to San Antonio this summer (in the hot, hot, heat).

Could you all suggest good neighborhoods to look in?  We are looking to buy something in the lower 100k.  We want a fun neighborhood, not suburbia.  Does that exist affordably in San Antonio?  We are a young couple with no kids.  We are big on using public transportation and biking to get where we need to go, so I guess downtown would be a good place to start.

I'm sorry this is so off topic of thrift stores.  Maybe it's on topic for being new to the area? Embarrassed  Thanks for any suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Pink Panther
How to Draw Pidgey
How to Use the Dodge and Burn Photoshop Tools
How to Draw Nino
How to Draw Ben 10 Alien Force Spidermonkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...