A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: San Antonio crafters???  (Read 12504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheShan
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006 09:39:05 PM »

OOPS!
I forgot to mention the Creative Sewing Center, which is at Blanco and West Avenue. It is a Bernina specialty store. They also offer classes, and beginner's classes with NEISD Community Education.
Also, on Walzem, just by the Milan beauty school, there is a sewing store that specializes in Vikings. They don't sell fabric, I don't think, but they do hold classes.

OK
best of luck.

OHHH one more thing, there is supposed to be some quilting guild or something that meets on a certain Thursday of the month at St Matthew's Methodist Church on Bitters (between Nacogdoches and Broadway.)
Haven't been, but it is an evening thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006 04:32:10 PM »

OK... I'm a San Antonio native.
Thrift Town is TOTALLY hit or miss. That being said, I go there a few times a week.
They get donations daily, I think over 3,000 a day... so are constantly restocking.
Sometimes the prices are way high, but sometimes, I am like "bwahh haha hahahahaheehee"!!!!!
They will get a partial roll of upholstery fabric and price it for $5.99, and if you don't grab it right away.....(happened last week!)
Since you are in Wincrest, I am sorry to tell you you just missed the big Wincrest community garage sale, but alot of these neighborhood sales go on this side of town. I think Northern Hills has theirs in July or August, Hollywood Hills just had theirs. They will often have maps printed with the participating households marked.
JoAnn's on Perrin-Beitle is closest of their stores, then Brook Hollow, then Crossroads.
Hobby Lobby at the Forum, and Michael's in your area are close, but Michael's isn't a sewer's paradise.
WalMart has some fabric, and is open 24-7, I think there is a Salvation Army inside Loop 410 on West Avenue, but I can't remember where.
BTW, if you haven't already, sign up for JoAnn's sales flyer. There is usually a 40% off coupon on back......yeaaaaaaaah!
Also, remember to get on their email list..... sometimes you get online only coupons, sometimes in-store. And check the websites for JoAnn, and Hobby Lobby for printable coupons.
In the Sunday paper, Michael's often has a flyer with a 40% off coupon.
Also in Sunday's paper, on the back page of the comic section, the bottom half of the page is the Hobby Lobby ad. SOMETIMES, like about every other week, there is a 40% off coupon.
Good luck.

BTW, get used to all the delish (and fattening) Tex-Mex food!!!!

I agree; you've gotta give mucho props to Thrift Town. I'm totally in love with the vintage clothes in the far back by the book area and the jewellry counter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
gwenluvy
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006 10:03:34 PM »

Thrift Town is my favorite thrift store in town for clothes. Sometimes they have neat knicknacks too. Last time I went I found a tiny plastic tiki, a stone tiki about the size of a large fist, and a cool owl statue.

The Goodwill on Blanco and 410 usually has really cool nicknacks too. Our last trip yielded a large porcelain koi, a red foo dog statue, and a neat little antique moonshine jug. They get clothing, housewares, and furniture closeouts from Target a lot here, too. I'd avoid the furniture from target, though, as they price it pretty much the same as it was in the store.

Both of these places have sewing tables (the folding kind, most of the time with the machine still in it) almost every time I go.

Maybe they're just not your style- I have a very eclectic house, full of what some people might call crap, lol... but I love everything we have here, especially when it's been sitting there the whole time and people who have been here a million times finally notice it Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
minniemeggie
minnie the great

minnie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006 09:14:23 PM »

i agree thrift town is a good hit when youre lucky.  im orginally from san fransisco, so moving here was a big shocker...  i used to live on the corner of haight, so the coolness of my thrift finds and fabric choices severlly decreased.  downtown is a good place to find all those cool shops and boutiques.  but if you ever get the chance to spend a long day in austin.  hit it up there, the selection is a lot better then any place ive found here
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006 12:29:50 PM »

i agree thrift town is a good hit when youre lucky.  im orginally from san fransisco, so moving here was a big shocker...  i used to live on the corner of haight, so the coolness of my thrift finds and fabric choices severlly decreased.  downtown is a good place to find all those cool shops and boutiques.  but if you ever get the chance to spend a long day in austin.  hit it up there, the selection is a lot better then any place ive found here
The thing about thrift-hunting in Austin is to hit the stores in the upper-class areas. Seriously. Old rich lady-swag like you wouldn't believe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheesy
gwenluvy
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006 01:42:08 PM »

I'm going thrifting today! *happy dance*

I miss having my own car and going every week...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
McJulie-O
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006 02:22:12 PM »

The thing about thrift-hunting in Austin is to hit the stores in the upper-class areas. Seriously. Old rich lady-swag like you wouldn't believe.

Like, can you give some examples? I don't really know Austin very well and I LOATHE driving there, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated.....pretty please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006 05:59:05 PM »

I normally just go to Texas Thrift Stores (5319 N. IH-35), it's also got a salvation army attached to it.
Like, can you give some examples? I don't really know Austin very well and I LOATHE driving there, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated.....pretty please?

I normally just go to Texas Thrift Stores (5319 N. IH-35), it's also got a salvation army attached to it.

and then there's Next to New(5308 Burnet), on Burnet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheesy
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006 06:14:56 PM »

Wow, I haven't been to any of those! I need to get off my ass! I usually don't have to go too far, since my house is like a craft store anyway though.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
McJulie-O
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006 06:46:38 PM »

Wow, I haven't been to any of those! I need to get off my ass! I usually don't have to go too far, since my house is like a craft store anyway though.  Cheesy

I hear you, sister! Now, if only I could FIND everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Modernize Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
How to Make Bagels
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Stuffing Recipe with Sausage, Apple and Cranberry
Hot Dog Grilling Guide
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...