A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
754 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gifts for hurricaine kids!  (Read 1204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Flareon
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005 10:10:35 AM »

How about this:

What if we organize a craft fundraiser?  We can all craft items to "sell" to fellow craftsters, with all proceeds going to hurricane victims. 

Picture a scenario:

We all craft various things and post pictures with a description on a gallery specifically reserved for that purpose. 

Then anyone who is interested in buying an item PMs the crafter of that item with a reasonable amount they would pay. 

The crafter chooses to decline or accept the offer (and in cases of multiple offers takes the higher one) and after which the buyer would mail the crafter a check payable to the Red Cross

The crafter receives the check, confirms the amount, and in turn mails it to the Red Cross.  The crafter then mails the item to the buyer within 3 days. 

It's a bit tricky sending the check twice, but that's the only feasible way to confirm that a donation has been made.  There are receipts of donations from the Red Cross, but those take up to 8 weeks to be delivered.  But by doing it this way, both the donator and the crafter can be sure that the correct amount will be donated to the correct recipient. 

Anyone have other suggestions? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hertrigger
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Vacation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005 10:25:00 AM »

How about this:

What if we organize a craft fundraiser?  We can all craft items to "sell" to fellow craftsters, with all proceeds going to hurricane victims. 

Picture a scenario:

We all craft various things and post pictures with a description on a gallery specifically reserved for that purpose. 

Then anyone who is interested in buying an item PMs the crafter of that item with a reasonable amount they would pay. 

The crafter chooses to decline or accept the offer (and in cases of multiple offers takes the higher one) and after which the buyer would mail the crafter a check payable to the Red Cross

The crafter receives the check, confirms the amount, and in turn mails it to the Red Cross.  The crafter then mails the item to the buyer within 3 days. 

It's a bit tricky sending the check twice, but that's the only feasible way to confirm that a donation has been made.  There are receipts of donations from the Red Cross, but those take up to 8 weeks to be delivered.  But by doing it this way, both the donator and the crafter can be sure that the correct amount will be donated to the correct recipient. 

Anyone have other suggestions? 

we could actually set one up as an etsy shop or something, have ONE person in charge of it all..

a craftster would want to participate, and then will contact that person in charge and give pictures and a description and set it up on an etsy shop.
when someone buys, use your method

just a thought, dont know if it would work

etsy doesnt seem to have too much buisness
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- thepromoshop.etsy.c om

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005 12:02:07 PM »

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea, and yeah you could use the etsy shop, or just have the checks sent to one person who would then inturn mail all the checks in one big envelope to the red cross, and do it through a gallery where anyone can post pictures of their crafts then someone PM's them wanting to buy it, they say yes or no, if yes the buyer then sends the check to the organizer, who then tells the seller to go ahead and ship the item to such and such address.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"underwater, I wrote drowning"
hertrigger

Vacation

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005 12:34:32 PM »

yes i agree, and i think that it should be one person organzing.. because then that one person could maybe put it ALL together, and get a really big money order, or just a check to send them, instead of every once in a while everyone sending a check here and there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005 12:51:55 PM »

With that we would have to trust one person to cash all the checks, and then write a check of their own, or purchase a money order and send it to the Red Cross. I am sure the Red Cross wouldnt mind depositing a bunch of individual checks, and the one person who collected them all could send them at the same time in a large envelope with a note or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hertrigger

Vacation

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005 12:53:44 PM »

With that we would have to trust one person to cash all the checks, and then write a check of their own, or purchase a money order and send it to the Red Cross. I am sure the Red Cross wouldnt mind depositing a bunch of individual checks, and the one person who collected them all could send them at the same time in a large envelope with a note or something.

yes, i agree with both ideas. about 99.9% of all craftsters are trust worthy. so i dont think that any of those would be a problem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005 12:55:18 PM »

Oh, and I just thought this, we could have a hurricane aid auction, and have one person post all the crafts on ebay and use paypal to recieve payment, the auction could last one day only, and all of us could spread the word in all the communities we belong to(I am assuming we belong to others than just craftster.) about the day of the auction and then contact all the people who submitted crafts with the address to ship too. I would love the idea of having a one day only auction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005 12:56:43 PM »

yes, i agree with both ideas. about 99.9% of all craftsters are trust worthy. so i dont think that any of those would be a problem

Agreed, and perhaps we should get some more feedback on what the best method is, perhaps a vote by all the people who are willing to craft?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hertrigger

Vacation

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005 01:07:01 PM »

i was actually thinking about ebay being a better bet.. ive been lurking around the "hows your etsy shop doing" and people havent been selling much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005 02:00:19 PM »

Yeah, they dont seem to have much traffic. And we could add a common word to all list titles, such as AID, or something along those lines, so if someone just wanted to specifically buy something for this fundraiser they could see all the listings in one search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eric Puchner Talks About Model Home
Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man Book Trailer
Meet Author Stef Penney
Ian Falconer Talks About Olivia Goes to Venice
Gwyn Cready Talks About Aching for Always
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...