A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sizing on 'vintage' patterns  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2003 01:18:21 PM »

hey guys  Smiley

i have this really lovely 'vintage' butterick pattern

i'm going to make it in denim, but i'm not sure about the sizing. it seems smaller than the usual butterick patterns...

any thoughts? has anyone used any retro patterns before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
action_kitty
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003 03:37:25 PM »

I think you are right that the sizing is different- I would either start with a few sizes larger and/or do a trial run with some real cheap fabric. I have never used a vintage pattern, but have been interested and done some reading up on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
washu
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003 04:39:34 PM »

What a great pattern! I love it.

I have made garments over vintage patterns in the past. The instructions and sizing are both weird.

The pattern may have a size chart on it. If so, you'll see that women were a lot smaller in the 40s.  Smiley What is now called a "12" was a "16." So you're right; it is smaller. Patterns pre 1960 or so vary by about 2 sizes and patterns in the 60s and 70s vary by about one size.  Sometime in the 80s they switched to the sizing system we have now.

Anyway, the real trick is to measure the pattern itself at the bust, waist, hips, and everywhere else that it could be important. Subtract out the seam allowances and then you'll know if it'll fit or not. This looks pretty tailored, so there likely isn't too much design ease, but measurements should range from 1 to 6 inches larger than your actual size.

Starting with a pattern the right size is nice, but it's not necessary. If the pattern's not right, you can use it to draft a new pattern in your right size. If it's close to your size, you can add and subtract at the appropriate places pretty easily. In fact I do this with every pattern. Like ready-made, the pre-printed sizes don't match me, and I figure that making your own clothes gives you a wonderful opportunity to make the darn thing fit right.

My first advice to friends about sewing is to throw out the pattern guide and my next is to not cut the pattern out on their lines--use your lines.

Okay, enough santimonious pontification. Stopping now.

Oh, no I'm not, actually. I'm still going!  Grin I just wanted to say that jackets are difficult and I'd make sure I was familiar with their construction in general before diving into a vintage one. Okay, done now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003 11:35:40 PM »

hehe i know what you mean! customers are always asking me, "what are vogue sizes like? what are new look sizes like?" and i always say, "well, the size chart's in the back of the catalogue, what are your measurements...?"

it's hard to get thru to people that pattern sizes are nothing to do with r-t-w, isn't it? they almost get offended!

but thanks for the tips guys. just thought i should add, that this isn't a 'true' vintage pattern, i only got it about a year ago! it's one of those 'retro' patterns, yet they seem to have stuck to the old sizing too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-George Bernard Shaw
knittykat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004 12:50:05 PM »

I'm a fan of sewing both vintage and modern patterns, and there is no way to get around measuring.  If you're sensitive about your 'number' be prepared for a shock.  I wear a size 8 dress in regular clothes, a 12 or 14 in modern sewing patterns, and a 16 in vintage patterns.  Lucky for me, my dear grandma had a big cache of vintage patterns and my lovely auntie happened to be a size 16!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
supadupaflychic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004 08:10:08 AM »

I actually made one of the suits pictured for an actress to wear in a play.  I followed the size chart and had no problems with fit.  Butterick updates the vintage reissues to comply with the pattern industry standard sizing guidelines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004 09:26:26 AM »

Butterick updates the vintage reissues to comply with the pattern industry standard sizing guidelines.

cool thanks for the input!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Erin Downing Offers Advice to Writers
Novelist Joe Monninger Has Some Advice for Writers
Author Susan Piver Discusses the Wisdom of a Broken Heart
Where Marcelo Gleiser Wants to Be In the World
The Story Behind Eternal On the Water
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...