A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for some easy baby blankets to make.  (Read 2928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2004 08:37:02 AM »

I have searched the web endlessly looking for some easy baby blankets to crochet I need to make 3 for friends by Aug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004 10:29:24 AM »

How experienced a crochet-er are you?  When you say easy, I would suggest finding some yarn you like, decide on a size, and just start double crocheting away.  Variegated yarns make patterns of their own, and you could alternate rows (as many as you want) with complimentary solid colors.  Or alternate solids with solids.  I'm a big fan of the ripple or wave style afghans, and I know there are patterns for baby sizes out there, or you can just start with a smaller length of initial chains.

How about one huge granny square?  Once started it should be pretty easy to just keep adding rows around beyond what the normal size would be.  Done in a nice fuzzy baby yarn I think it would look very nice, and making it should go pretty quickly.

This could also be a good excuse to experiment and make sort of sampler blankets with a variety of stitches---you'll get to learn and practice new things, won't get too bored or tired of doing any one of them, and the results will be completely unique.

Good luck---and don't forget to post pictures when you're done....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004 10:38:08 AM »

I'm not a beginner but not intermedate either. I've tried a few diff things but get tired of it fast. I have posted a few blankets I did for my kids.

The few granny square blankets I have made have come apart within a few months of use. Dont know what I did wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004 11:21:05 AM »

The few granny square blankets I have made have come apart within a few months of use. Dont know what I did wrong.

If the squares became disconnected then it was how you joined them.  If you made one huge granny square...can't help you there.

If you're between beginner and intermediate, I'd say stick with something fairly straightforward and use an interesting yarn.  One easy way to add a little interest is to put your hook into the the back portion of each stitch instead of through both (does that make sense?), which gives a sort of ribbed effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kris23_2000
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004 11:33:58 AM »

Have you tried any of the mile-a-minute crochet patterns.  They go really fast and you only need to bring a small amount of yarn with you for each row.  It makes it easy to crochet the blanket on the go ( i.e. waiting for appointments, lunch breaks etc.)

I love the mile a minute you will be amazed at how fast you can make a blanket.  Good luck! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carlins_mom

"Keep Smiling, they'll wonder what you're hiding"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004 03:41:19 PM »

Lion Brand Yarn makes a "Baby Homespun" it's a somewhat chunky yarn, yet soft and fuzzy.  It works up pretty quickly, just be sure to use a larger hook, like a size "N"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004 04:01:56 PM »

my grandma does baby blankets for everyone and she uses a brick stitch (i can send you the instructions if you'd like). she makes all hers 3ft by 3ft ( so there's no wrong way to wrap the baby).  really if you have a favorite stitch, or one that you'd like to try, you can use any of them to make a blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004 04:39:08 PM »

can you explain the brick stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004 06:26:07 PM »

looks like this:

might be called something different?

Brick Stitch

Multiple of 4 ch plus 6

Row 1: sk 3 ch, * 2 dc in next 2 ch, (1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next ch, sk 1 ch* (repeat from *) 3 dc in last 3 ch, ch 3, turn

Row 2: * (3 dc, ch 3, 1 sc) in each 3-ch sp* , 1 dc between last group of 3 dc and turning ch, ch 3, turn

Repeat from row 2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jakesmom31
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004 10:09:20 AM »

You can make this one bigger and add a shell edging when you are done.  Makes a very nice SOFT blanket--try Caron's Simply Soft.  Goes pretty fast as well.  I love this stitch.

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/13kids/preemie.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 10 Beauty & Fashion Trends For Your Year-End Parties
Skincare Tips and Tricks
A Quick Half Up Hairstyle!
Nicole Kidman Reveals Her Beauty Secrets
How to Soothe Sensitive Skin on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...