A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 13939 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005 11:33:37 AM »

AHHH!.
I could not believe that some people lived without sewing machines! I grew up taking sewing lessons and we ALWAYS had the machine out and my grandma's would make us stuff. I didnt know that not everyone had a sewing machine until I was in grade nine and was making all my clothes. Everyone seemed impressed and I was confused!.

just the other day the boyfriend said "I can't beleive you asked for a sewing machine for christmas"
(he was refering to the price)
I, of course, freaked out and ranted on and on and on about how it will last me for far more years than anything else I was going to ask for and explained all of it's usefulness.
(I know he will just have to see it in action making him comfy pj's before he understands this)

That's funny. I have a lot of artists in the family, so we always had mostly family-made paintings and stuff. I clearly rmember being in KMart or somewhere with my mom at about age 9 and seeing the section with wall decor and saying "People BUY paintings?? Why don't they just ask their Grandma to make one?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
gerbilonwheels
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005 04:56:11 PM »

Awww all this talk of old machines makes me nostalgic. I learned to sew on an old machine (my great grandmother's) that I had to pedal to make it sew. It's built into the table. It's so hardcore! I miss her, but I appreciate not getting quite the workout from sewing with my machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggerng
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005 09:10:01 PM »

I've known how to sew since I was this tall, and I've always used my mom's old Kenmore.  When I got married a year and a half ago. she bought me my very own Huskystar for a bridal shower present (everybody at the shower agreed that it was by far the best present I got, cause they all know me so well.)  It has a ton more features on it than hers did, is more heavy-duty, yadda yadda yadda.  There are moments when I'm working on something and I will just miss hers to death, though, cause I was sooo used to it, and I think even after almost 2 years using my own (better) one, there are some things that her old machine just works better for.  Maybe it's homesickness, or maybe they just don't make things like they used to.  Sigh. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
http://viridian.etsy.com
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005 03:45:50 PM »

Not 2 hours after I made a post about my nan's old sewing machine, I got a message from my mum asking if I wanted it.. as they were going to ..

Get this..

THROW  IT AWAY!

MINEEEEEEEE!  ALL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gerbilonwheels
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005 05:50:19 PM »

Not 2 hours after I made a post about my nan's old sewing machine, I got a message from my mum asking if I wanted it.. as they were going to ..

Get this..

THROW IT AWAY!

MINEEEEEEEE!  ALL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

Awww, Fluffy! I'm so happy for you. We better see photos of all the awesome things you make with it on Craftster soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005 10:45:37 AM »

This isn't a "My sewing machine" ranty thing, but it's my mums and the thing scares me so bad.

First of all, it's antique. One of those ancient ones from, get this, the 1890s. My mum bought it for seventy five bucks at a yard sale and uses it all the time. Me? I'm a clutz. I'm a Taurus (I HATE going into china shops, lol) so, yeh. So I don't want to touch it in case it shatters apart. (I know it won't, logically, but jeeze, I break the unbreakable sometimes.)

Secondly, it's EVIL. It tried to eat me when my mum was trying to teach me to sew on it. It did! I had to run away and hide. Now, sometimes, for some reason, the needle will drop suddenly when I'm around... Scares the hell out of me. It's, like, the Amityville sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
Altair

Tree-hugging Dirt-Worshipper

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005 08:54:30 PM »

My mom has a Husqvarna, and that sucker does damn near everything but embroider by itself and make coffee.  My boyfriend couldn't understand why I never wanted to touch it. 

Him:  "Why don't you want to use it?"

Me:  "I'll totally break it if I touch it."

Him:  "So?  It's only a sewing machine.  Just buy her another if you break it."

Me:  0_o  "Are you freaking insane?!  That sucker cost more than I make in six months!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hello, little light in the sky.  Please don't probe me."
My Wists

Open to personal swaps...PM me!
Nikki Knacks

Great scott! 1.21 Jiggawatts!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005 11:37:04 PM »

My grandmother has one of the old petal pusher sewing machines built into the table..flips over like a hide away and everything. I begged for it. Yet she continues to refuse it to me. She says I can have it when she dies.. I don't want to have it remind me of her after she dies! I want it now so I can use it! It's sitting, right now, in a hay loft in the barn gathering dust, rust, and god knows what else!

A few years ago she bought me a sewing machine. I was delighted yet I still continued to ask for the one in the barn. She asks"Why when you have a brand new one? I spent 160$ on it at the vacuum and sewing center!"
I say(insolent child of 22, at the time, that i was)"But I want that one"<all whiney>

Soon after receiving my  new machine my fiance and I had a falling out. I took some "time off" from us. I took nothing but my clothes and my daughter. He packed my stuff away, my new sewing machine included, and sent it to my grandma's. Where it was placed(like everything else) in the barn hayloft. After restarting my life I slowly began to collect my things from the barn. A year ago i came upon a dusty hay covered box with my name on it. I bring it home and open it to find a mix of clothes, shoes, knick knacks, crafting supplies, and one upside-down sewing machine with a mangled quilt square still hanging from the bent needle. Embarrassed

It is now my new fasionable bedroom door stop Grin

Gives me a reason to continue to beg for the old one. Or a new one..at this point i just want anything that sews faster than my two hands..lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maybe I'm normal and it's everyone else that crazy....
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005 05:43:54 AM »

I just put a bid on my next "new" sewing machine.  Fingers crossed no-one puts another bid on in the next 20 hours.  It's an antique singer machine in need of some tlc and a new table.  Hopefully I can beg an old singer treadle stand from my Grandmother. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilliesnremains
IT'S MIDDLE FINGER GIRL!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005 02:50:22 PM »

old time singer sewing machines are the best ever.

i have a singer sewing machine that was made in 1953, and my mom has one that was made in 1944, before they stopped making them during the war.

both machines can sew anything! and yes, all they do is one straight stich, backwards and forwards, but they really do sew anything. i made a belt bag out of heavy cotton duck cloth yesturday, and the machine sewed thru 3 layers of the stuff with only a slight bit reluctance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lenore
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Terry Cloth Bath Mitts for Kids
How to Make a True Family Tree Board
How to Make a Superhero Cape
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...