A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 13475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BelovedGoddess
« on: November 14, 2005 02:34:30 AM »

This is not a Stitch and botch, but who here has had problems with other's attitudes to their machines?

One time when we were moving I had packed my new sewing machine back up in it's box, with all the original packaging - I'm lucky I did.  I saw my brother-in-law carry it out to the truck and was speechless at how he packed it, he turned it sideways and dropped it down another item.  My husband told him to get it back out and to make sure it wasn't broken.  BIL's reply was "It's only a sewing machine, what are you worried about?"  My husband pointed to the computer that BIL had lovingly and carefully packed and said "That 'only a sewing machine' cost more than that computer!"  

Still have that machine but upgraded to an embroidery model, again people can't believe I paid so much for 'only a sewing machine".  But as I point out my sewing machine get used and I can save hundred$ on my childrens clothing each year, not to mention gifts and home furnishings.  Also I bring in extra money with the machine by sewing and embroidering for others.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerbilonwheels
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005 09:15:36 AM »

I got a new sewing machine for my birthday last year from my mother. I was really excited, because she was going to buy me a Bernina. At the Bernina dealer in Va, they'll give you a discount if you pay cash (ha ha, like a used car dealer), so my mother had the cash for my precious in her wallet ready to go buy it the next day. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, my mother's purse was stolen that evening, and she wasn't able to afford the Bernina anymore. I was so upset and all people would say is, "can't you get one for like $30 at Target? It's only a sewing machine." It's not only a sewing machine! That thing can embroider a raibow trout on a baseball hat adjusting the tension for the different fabrics on the hat by itself! It has a modem!
Grrr I got a super cute little machine by White (which is really good I might add), but my roommates (even though they know how much it cost) will just pile it up laying on fabric where it could possibly fall off the table, not concerned, because "it's only a sewing machine."
Oooo, I sound so grouchy. I'm not really. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shortestkitty
Wootage.

Ghost ride your whip.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005 02:29:32 PM »

I've definitely had people underestimate the cost and value of a good machine. Even when I was in fashion design school! Girls were constantly asking to use it, or take it to their rooms for "a few hours or so" to finish a project here and there. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to let them (people I wasn't even friends with) borrow my machine (which was around $850!!) I quickly began to just say "Oh, gosh. You know, I just have so many projects I really can't spare it for a moment!" rather than try to explain (delicately) that I can't loan my sophisticated piece of equipment to just anyone who wanted to reconstruct a tee shirt or whatever when there were free machines available 24/7 across the street. Granted, they were industrial machines (not much fun to sew with) but they did the job and I brought my machine because I knew I'd be comfortable with it.  Smiley

Don't even get me started on people who ask if they could get my machine (or one similar) at Wal-Mart, or if sewing as a hobby saves tons me of money. Sewing is very misunderstood these days, much like knitting  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look! Round windows!

Check out my Etsy shop for handpainted fashion goodness:
http://www.frompapertocloth.etsy.com

And yes, there's a blog: http://frompapertocloth.blogspot.com
evehel

"sometimes i just get SO mad"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005 12:38:52 AM »

so i have an old used sewing machine my mom bought me a few years ago
it's amazing

yes, it's "old". at least 30 years old
yes, that company doesn't exist anymore
yes, it only has two stitch types: straight and zig zag
yes the bobbin cover is loose and i have to hold it down with tape
yes i know that no one would pay more than $50 for it

but it's amazing and i've created so many really cool professional items on it.
i'm always offended when i try and have it repaired or have questions about basic things about it, that vendors always tell me it's junk, obsolete  and worthless and i should upgrade to a newer model.
i'm not unrealistic, i know that there are many awesome sewing machines out there.
but i'm attached to mine because my mom gave it to me and because it sews amazingly.
so NO, it's not just a sewing machine

i don't really know anyone else who sews, so i feel that no one really understands.

ok...i'll stop now...i just heard myself:  "no one understands me and my sewing machine!!" 
i feel a little ridiculous!....hahahaaa   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005 04:09:46 AM »

my first machine was a basic bottom of the range job but it did everything I needed at the time - it even sewed a tent.  When I got the machine I wasn't even interested in sewing, it stayed in it's box for a year.  Then the bug hit and I decided to do a fashion course.  I needed the fancy extra stitches so needed to upgrade but kept my good old faithful.  Until I lent it to a neighbour, who then moved  Angry

Mum bought that machine for my 18th birthday, a machine was our standard 18th gift.  My older sister got the same machine as me, it seized up through lack of use.  Because I had taken to sewing by the time my younger sister hit 18, mum bought her a better machine - supposed to be top of the range - no one could get the thing to work properly, it was a piece of crap.  Not that my younger sister was interested anyway. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005 12:08:35 PM »

A while ago I mentioned to my parents (ever so casual) that I could really do with a sewing machine so I could start making my own clothes.  My sister has had.. driving lessons.. new clothes.. her room re-decorated (twice in 2 years) and has been living rent free (despite having a job) for her entire life.

I had the consideration to move out at 16 and have been supporting myself since then.

My dad had a suprise for me.  A sewing machine!
What was it?

One of those small, crappy paperweight things that don't even hold the thread steady.  I tried sewing a small bag on it and the needle came out.  It cost $40, tops.

Why?  "Well it's only a sewing machine!"  Not only that, but they want to know when I'm going to start making clothes on it (WTF).

Fume.  I'm currently saving up to buy my own, looking to spend around $200 on a jemina one in the local craft shop as a christmas present to myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005 12:28:26 PM »

My Grandma just gave me her ancient Singer. It's at least as old as me and I am THRILLED. I brought it home on the plane as carefully as if it was golden goose eggs. I can't wait to break it out this weekend! I am about to teach myself to sew so I am totally new, but I've seen what my grandma could do with that old machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Chelsea
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005 06:27:18 PM »

I have my great-grandma's Singer machine from the 50's (twice my age, I guess?) and I love it to death.  I know I couldn't afford to have one I really want right now, so this is perfect.  I still haven't learned how to use it yet.  I'm wanting to find a free sewing class (or at least an inexpensive one) after the holidays.

I used to be guilty of the "it's just a sewing machine" thing when I was little. My mom bought one when I was 6 or 7. Then I wanted to learn when I was 16 or 17 and she said she had to get the machine fixed up first - which I thought meant it needed to be fixed, when she really meant it needed to be cleaned and oiled.  I wondered why she couldn't just get a new one.  It was old anyway  Wink  hehe.

But last week we had a spider on our ceiling and my husband stepped on the case of my great-grandma's maching to reach the spider w/ the flyswatter.  WTF!?  I don't think he realized what it was though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss brianne

I'm addicted to Craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005 06:35:29 PM »

AHHH!.
I could not believe that some people lived without sewing machines! I grew up taking sewing lessons and we ALWAYS had the machine out and my grandma's would make us stuff. I didnt know that not everyone had a sewing machine until I was in grade nine and was making all my clothes. Everyone seemed impressed and I was confused!.

just the other day the boyfriend said "I can't beleive you asked for a sewing machine for christmas"
(he was refering to the price)
I, of course, freaked out and ranted on and on and on about how it will last me for far more years than anything else I was going to ask for and explained all of it's usefulness.
(I know he will just have to see it in action making him comfy pj's before he understands this)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005 10:49:41 AM »

Sewing machines can easily become little goldmines.  Just think about how much money you can save on kids clothes.. clothes for yourself.. presents for other people.. CHRISTMAS!

I'd love to have a go on an old Singer sewing machine.  I'm fairly sure my nan has one which she isn't going to be using again (her eyesight is mostly gone now) so I might ask for it and give it a good home.  After having a tetanus shot of course, I dread to think how old the needles on it are!

Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Indian Chai
The Traditional Chinese Tofu Making Process
How Tofu is Made
How Chinese Vinegar is Brewed
What is the Origin of Vinegar
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...