A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 13472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2006 01:51:19 PM »

i wish mymom has taught me stuff like that. I do not even now how to adjust the tension and stuff correctly Sad I have my own machine but I do not know what to do wit it since I am not with my mom anymore and I don't have the money to have the tension set for me Sad Sad Sad Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2006 02:45:32 PM »

my momma has two sewing machines and a serger.
She has all the supplies anyone could want.
You oculd start a store with her stuff, and there's good reason, because she was going to, but her business partner moved, and all the stuff..sat. waiting for me. ;-)
I've always been the weird, craft obsessed person of the house.
my mom used to make me dresses, she was an AWESOME smocker, when she had the time.
it always inspired me. She has a great sewing machine with like, 100 or so stitched on it, and I have been using that one, making messes, and being otherwise generally bad for a while, not creating anything really worth much, but getting some pretty nice skillz.
anyways, about a year ago, I was sewing something, don't remember what, and I jerked on the lever to bring the foot down just *a little* too hard.
That baby was plastic and just broke off neatly into my hand.
I did it so well there wasn't even any little part of the lever sticking out of the machine.
My mother was NOT happy [it still hasn't been fixed, due to crazy lives and being removed to distant lands for hurricane Katrina evacuation] and, with an unhappy demeanor, told me I was only allowed to use the other sewing machine: a JCPenney machine that has four different zig zag stitches, and regular, with a few different stitch tensions.
I love it. it's the kind built into a carrying case, so I bring it places and use it.
Has anyone ever noticed that, after a while, you know exactly what your machine can and can't handle, what it will do and won't do, and how you can keep it from choking up?
mine's like that. it's like my baby.
I don't like people to touch it, even my mother, and it's technically her sewing machine.
when I get to be in college, I am so carrying this thing off to my dorm room and making myself clothes. totally worth it, and I echo all of the sentiments about saved money.
That, and shopping at thrift stores is going to set me up with the coolest wardrobe ever. :pumps fist: yes!
[and, when I was little, I would steal little snips of fabric from my mom's drawers of different fabrics, and get a needle and some white thread and sew up little "dolls". I still have one. it's terrible, but so funny. the look on my mom's face when she opened her fabric drawer and found her fabric all chopped up in weird piece was priceless.]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2006 02:33:11 PM »

i have my grandmother's old janome from (i think) the late 70s. it's baby pink!!

i wuv it. but when people come they always ask me why i don't just get a new one and i say, "dude. it's a JANOME. it'll still work fine 100 years from now!"

and they just look puzzled because it's "just a sewing machine"...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
piratejane

We're all mad here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2006 02:52:45 PM »

I just saw this thread and it made me laugh because I just realized a few days ago that me and my mom have some how accumulates 4 sewing machines.
1. The Original. Was my moms, was passed on to me when my parents bought a new spiffy one.
2. The New One. My mom got sick of me always having that one ^ at my apartment all the time, so my dad and I got her a new one. It's purdy.
3. When my great grandmother died we inhereted an old singer, the kind that was on the wooden tables that flipped under, I think it even had the big metal footpedal.
3. Last but not least. My great aunt just moved to be nearer to her husbands family, but it's also a much smaller house and she doesnt do as much sewing. So guess who got the machine? It's amazing, it has a computer and it's complicated. It intimidates me, I like my old simple machine.

So I figure at this rate, in the next few years me and my mom will have enough machines to start a store or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2006 03:21:33 PM »

My boyfriend bought me a new PFAFF a couple of months ago. My old machine (also PFAFF) was 17 years old and  lately I've had to have it serviced more than once a year due to wear, still the shop wanted to give me approximately $400 in exchange for the old one, but I simply couldn't part with it.
So now I have two great PFAFF and I can finally find it in myself to let my daughters (13 and 17) borrow the older machine from time to time. They're not getting anywhere near the new one Smiley
The thing is, when people hear I have two machines, they want to buy my old one for like $60-70. If you had ought that same machine in the shop, same age and same use, you still would have to pay almost $700 for it, but..."It's only a sewing machine" Tongue

We still haven't told my parents in law about the $1300 purchase. They would certainly not understand it. Then again, we haven't told them about my boyfriends new camera either Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2006 01:40:49 PM »

This thread made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me want to drive home from work in the middle of the day to hug Edna and assure her that no one will make "just a sewing machine" remarks about her.

Ah, Edna.  My 1970 Kenmore 1755 wonder of a machine.  Inherited from Mom when she got the Husqvarna of her dreams.  Edna, who my mother will fly from Arkansas to Alaska to reclaim if I so much as THINK of giving away or selling.  (She told me as much about a month after she got the Husky.)

I flat-out adore this machine.  It was my dad's wedding present to my mom and has been in my life since before I was born.  I learned to sew on this machine!  She's been a workhorse and has sewn everything from wedding dresses to coveralls.

I used to think her avocado color was tacky and dated, but now I wouldn't dream of changing her stripes!

The Other Human asked me if I needed a new machine, since mine was in pieces.  (He'd never seen a cleaning, before.)  After he recovered from the scathing look I gave him, he pointed out that he was just trying to help -- he can't imagine me without my machine.  I guess they can be trained -- now he seems to be trying to figure out whether I'd use an embroidery machine.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006 10:45:04 AM by cinderly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
klemmydia
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2006 05:02:36 PM »

i have an old sewing machine in my house.
it's a shame, becuase it's the kind you flip over from the table, and that's what we're using it as.  a table. infuriating.. i want to use it..
but i have no clue how.
and my sister lost the instruction manual in her apartment.
it's going to be long gone. :/

i just went to inspect it for a moment, and it says 'white' on it. (i'm assuming the brand.) and it has a pedal. i think it does more then just backwards and forwards because there's a knob with different stitches on it.
maybe i'll take a picture if you're curious to see it.

i have no clue where icould take this to get it checked out, see if it's still in working condition. does anyone have any ideas of what i could do, to get it's "physical" done? i know it needs new oil? my sister said that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2006 05:08:52 PM »

White is a great brand!  They've been around forever.  I'd imagine you can order replacement manuals from White.

Look for a local Sew 'n Vac store for inspection/tune-up/repair.  If they can't help you, they can tell you who can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
klemmydia
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2006 05:27:04 PM »

ahh, thank you! you made me really excited to hear that. infact, i'm looking at their website now. i found the serial number and model, and ooh... this has gotten me so happy. n_n!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sew-enchanting
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2006 02:14:23 PM »

This is such a great thread!  And...amazingly...I thought I was the only one.  Wink

I've been sewing on my grandmother's Viscount, circa 1940's, since she died and left it to me in 1983.  I had only been sewing a couple of years, but when you're 13 and really into sewing - it was like having a gold mine dropped in my lap!

It has been the only sewing machine I ever owned until...last fall.  I made a deal with my sister.  I helped her finish an order she had for nursing pillows (she was under contract to make over 1200 of them!) and in return, no pay, but I got her "old" embroidery sewing machine.  It's about 10 years old, give or take, a Memory Craft, and I was like a kid in a candy shop when I first got it here in the house.

You mean...you don't need to switch cams to change stitches?  Cool!

You mean...oh my God, there are machines that make automatic buttonholes?  No changing stitches, no changing tension, no guessing at size...?

You mean...you don't have to persuade the machine to wind the bobbin?  It really does it all automatically?

You mean...wow, there's a little plate there that tells seam allowances?  Whoa.m  I don't need that little piece of tape there to tell me...

But you know what?  I like my Viscount.  The MC is still there, waiting for embroidery (and buttonholes...man, that's cool) - but nothing handles like my Viscount. 

~sigh~

lol - thanks  for a neat thread, and to know that there are others out there like me. 

Kris
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Separate the Portrait from the Background
How to Use Distortion to your Advantage
How to Light a Macro Shoot
Comparison Between Abstract and Pictorial Photography
How to Light a Portrait with Small Flash Units Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...