A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 14021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scrappygirl085
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2006 04:54:26 AM »

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore from, like, 1970 that I bought from a co-worker who's wife never used it for $50. I weighed a ton and is exactly like the machine my mother still owns today.  My motivation to sew was maternity clothes.  I couldn't bring myself to pay those prices in the stores, so I taught myself. 

Anyway, I didn't sew much for a long time -- Halloween costumes, curtains,  and repairs.  My husband surprised me with a pretty basic Simplicity machine he picked up a JoAnns on sale and I use it weekly. It has it's own place in the closet by the kitchen table.  It's nothing fancy, but I'm becoming more adventurous since Craftster (seriously).  My daughter needed a last-minute birthday gift for her friend and a few hours later I had a black/pink messenger bag ready to go!   

I would LOVE to have an embroidery machine, maybe down the road.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2006 09:18:36 AM »

Not EXACTLY the right thread for this, but I'm giddy, and this is close enough  Wink

I get my Grandma's sewing machine!  I'm not sure what model it is, but it's an old, green, metal Singer.  It wasn't working for her, so around Christmas time, she was going to get rid of it, because she got my aunt's (old, green New Home) instead.  Fortunately, my uncle thought of me, and before he tossed it asked me if I wanted it if it could be fixed.  This is the uncle with "connections":  he knows a guy who used to work for Singer fixing machines, and now does it free-lance for a song.  I said I'd love it, but I didn't want to spend more thand $35 fixing it.  I just found out yesterday he fixed it for $20!  So this afternoon I'm going to go pick up my new baby!  I'm freakin' giddy--can you tell?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2006 10:12:16 AM »

congratulations on your new "baby"  may you have many happy years with her.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2006 09:01:41 AM »

I get my Grandma's sewing machine!  I'm not sure what model it is, but it's an old, green, metal Singer. 

congrats!  i have my grandma's old singer.  i refer to it as my tank.  it's spurred quite a love-affair with old machines for me.  i thought it was so cool looking up the model number online to find the year.  i have a 328K, so i think it's from the 60's.  i love it, love it, love it.  i get kind of mean when people suggest i get a new one on its off days when i moan about it not working - they don't get that i'm more moaning about the not working part than the machine itself.  i'm convinced with a little TLC it has another 40 years in it. 

speaking of which, i was in a tizzy all weekend because i couldn't get the thread to grab the thread from the bobbin, and i'm in a making-crunch time right now with shows coming up... then i tried different fabric and voila!  no problems (well, some tension issues, but no real problems).  has anyone else had issues with a certain fabric and their machine?  i was trying to use old pillowcase fabric to line a tote bag...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Punker Chic
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2006 04:30:18 PM »

speaking of which, i was in a tizzy all weekend because i couldn't get the thread to grab the thread from the bobbin, and i'm in a making-crunch time right now with shows coming up... then i tried different fabric and voila!  no problems (well, some tension issues, but no real problems).  has anyone else had issues with a certain fabric and their machine?  i was trying to use old pillowcase fabric to line a tote bag...

Indeed so... Mine won't sew loose woven fabricts and taffeta (don't ask why I was sewing taffeta... I was, um, planning ahead  Wink ) She's a reletivly new Singer 40-stich that only cost about eighty dollars, woo-hoo! When I try to sew loose woven, it doesn't move forward at all and taffeta just gets all bunchy and awful and holey...  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2006 05:14:29 PM »

I was actually semi-nervous about my old Singer.  A friend, who is decidedly anti-old machine and VERY anti-Singer, told me that the old ones weren't good for the new fabrics, such as knits, fleeces, etc... because they weren't deisgned to do that.  And that I wouldn't be able to sew anything but very basic stuff.  Period. 

Well BLEH to her, because I sewed a fleece pillowcase yesterday with practically no trouble.  (And the trouble I had was because I was a moron, nothing to do with the machine.)

Plus, I get the joy of knowing I was right  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2006 05:00:10 AM »

For all those that say it's "only a machine" well, 2 words : Special Hell.

I lurve my cheap-as-free Singer. Sure, it doesn't do much, but it's exactly what I want. Sews denim and fleece and thin material equally well (I just have to double check my tension). I don't use it as much as I should, and can't afford to get it serviced like I should, but I treat her very carefully. My husband knows how much it cost, and how giddy I was when we picked it up (we really couldn't afford it, and I agonised, but we finally decided to get it!)

My hubby has used it, carefully! but no one else. Not even my mom. She has her own, and I know how often it gets used (never). Luckily, my MIL trusts me to use her serger, cuz that's my next purchase!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Elphabia
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2006 10:33:50 AM »

so i posted a page or two ago about my grandma's machine (which is now mine) and about how i think it's great and how special it is... (for a photo: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.needleworkgoodies.com/manuals/Singer338manual.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sewwhat.net/millie/H.sm_manualsCOPIES.htm&h=427&w=640&sz=62&tbnid=dgzLiTS7U43ZsM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsinger%2B328k%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)  then over the weekend, i guess i was giving it too much lovin', and i jammed it! 
oh no!  and just as  i had bought some new fabric at a great sale in center city!

but luckily i live in a great city, and a sewing machine repair man (who makes housecalls, no less) is going to look at it tomorrow.  i'm crossing my fingers (and hoping the office doesn't mind if i take a sickday on behalf of my ailing machine...)

I have that same machine and LOVE it!!!  Long story short, I was helping out a local toy manufacturer.  There was a big nightmare with on of the products and he was looking for local people to help him out with fixing them.  I found bodies for him, but no one had their own machines.  He sent me on a trip to find machines for everyone.  I found this beauty at a thrift store for $30.  The person I bought it for disappeared when it came time to do actual work, I was able to keep the machine.  It's an absolute work horse.  I have a newer (early 90's) singer my parent's bought for me for my 18th birthday, but prefer this one.  I actually have to take it in for service having problems with the tension, I'm thinking maybe the tension spring is worn out. I recently saw one on ebay going for over $70.  Cherish it, it's a wonderful machine and such wonderful memories for you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miz Spike
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2006 07:12:35 AM »

There is nothing better than a 328K!. I bought one 2nd hand in the late 60s and sewed on it for eons until the tension went haywire. It spent a month at a fixit shop and worked fine for 2 days. I then began the laborious process of recalibrating: stitch, change the settings, stitch more....That was 20 years ago and it works just fine. I have the original manual and cams, and quite a few accessory feet.

This year my brother decided he wanted to sew sails and was looking for a machine. I told him my Old Faithful, which is what the 328 K is known as in this house, was perfect but he wasn't gettting it. We combed several 2nd hand stores, finding an overpriced Pfaff, a Brother in a plastic housing, and getting quite discouraged. I spotted a 1950's sewing table and raced to it, thinking, a good straight stitch machine from the 40s or 50s would be there. It was a 328K for only $25. We bought it, took it home, and I cleaned it up. Works perfectly.

During the month the 328 K was gone in the 80s, I bought another machine ( my husband called it a medical necessity).This top of the line Kenmore had quirks, and I happily relegated it to a corner whenever I knew Old Faithful could do something better. The Kenmore became known as the Snarl-O-Matic.

A couple years ago I bought a2nd hand Bernina. The only place it needs oil is the one place Snarly's manual did not say to oil. I put a drop of oil there, and Snarly has worked perfectly ever since. So I gave it to a crafty niece, along with basic repair instructions.Oh, I was cruel. I made her thread it and oil it and almost take it apart and put it together again to my satisfaction. But she loves it and sews on it without a problem.

Miz Spike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2006 08:47:37 AM »

A couple years ago I bought a2nd hand Bernina. The only place it needs oil is the one place Snarly's manual did not say to oil. I put a drop of oil there, and Snarly has worked perfectly ever since. So I gave it to a crafty niece, along with basic repair instructions.Oh, I was cruel. I made her thread it and oil it and almost take it apart and put it together again to my satisfaction. But she loves it and sews on it without a problem.

Miz Spike

that isn't cruel.  Sometime in the future she's be thanking you for making her take apart and reassemble that machine when she has something go messy and snarly wrong.  She'll remember how  to fix it herself ( or at least be able to try basic stuff) before having to call for help.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Street Chic: Winter 2013 London Fashion Trends
Oscar Party Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Nina Dobrev Celebrate in Style
2013 Oscars Fashion
Star Crush: Chic, Stylish, Effortless Charlize Theron
Street Chic: Shoreditch, London Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...