A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 13793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2006 01:16:11 PM »

Personally, I will always love my workhorse of a 1970's Kenmore.  Mine has all the cams for fancy embroidered stitches, and it might not be extra special, but as with cars, they knew how to build things back then.  None of that replacing metal with plastic, fiberglass or any other less-satisfactory materials.  And you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on one, either.  You just have to keep your eye out at the second hand stores and you might even get lucky and get yourself a little desk along with it! 

I'm sure I'm totally ignorant about new machines.  My mother has a lovely machine that I've used once or twice, and I know it wasn't inexpensive and I know she loves it, but my Kenmore is the one I learned on, my Mom's old machine, and she keeps threatening to take it back because as nice as her new one is, she says there are still things that the old one does better.  Well, she can't have it! 

It doesn't work at the moment, because it came with a desk, so it never had a portable case that I know of, and my mother kept the desk when she gave it to me, and it was sitting downstairs on the floor, and my husband kicked it over.  I told him to be careful, and he made the grunting that is his version of "it's just a..." and then I looked at it.  When it fell over, it broke BOTH THE SPINDLES off FLUSH with the top of the machine.  I could have spit sewing needles at that man.  Hmph. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2006 08:49:33 AM »

so, my machine got fixed yesterday...  i'm so happy!  i've never felt like the old saying "they just don't make things like they used to" was so true before.
now my singer 328K is all clean and happy and ready to go!
yippee!

ps. i have to say, for those in the philly area, mazzola's sewing machine repair was a lifesaver.  he's going to retire this year, so if your machine needs a cleaning or a tune-up, i'd get him while you can...  he says there's no one else around that does any sewing machine repair.  and i'm inclined to believe it's a dying art... i mean, with all our gizmo's lately, who gets things repaired?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2006 08:56:55 AM »

And think about sewing machines nowadays.  They're all computerized.  How is your average, been-around-for-years machine repairman going to fix it?  That's my major issue with computerized machines.  It seems to me that they must cost an arm and a leg to repair.  Ugh.  Give me a mechanical, boat-anchor of a machine anyday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2006 09:15:53 AM »

I have three sewing machines.  One is a fancy one that I paid about 400.00 for.  What is funny is that I find myself gong back to my grandma's (both of them)  old singers...People ask me all the time.. can i borrow a machine?  The answer is always no.  I would feel bad if something happened to one of them while someone else was using them and I couldn't get them fixed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2006 12:20:12 PM »

Give me a mechanical, boat-anchor of a machine anyday!
precisely!

at SnB the other night (during our special anti-superbowl SnB) i mentioned how bummed i was that my machine was not in working order and one of the girls (who only knits, never sews) said "well, can't you just get a new one?  i mean, they're only like $150."

and i almost spit out my tea in shock!  i mean, here's a CRAFTY person, one of US who was making this gross underestimation! 

so i said, rather civilly IMO, which was hard, "well, it was my grandmothers, it's an early '60s era singer, it's powder coated steel and i looooove it".

btw, when i was researching which model # mine is and precisely what year it was from, i feel in love with a couple other older models...  now i can't wait to buy a house so i can have a whole room of sewing and crafting, with space for multiple machines... ahhh, some day...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A_Patchwork_Orange
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2006 02:01:22 PM »

How is your average, been-around-for-years machine repairman going to fix it?

Dealers for the major sewing machine companies have MANDATORY repair instruction on a yearly (some biannual) basis.  Most of the "old timers" really do know what they are doing with the new machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerbilonwheels
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2006 09:21:38 PM »

So I was talking to one of the sewing center guys at my Joann's this past summer, because my brother needs a newsewing machine that will work for leather. The man said that the only thing he could think of other than an industrial leather machine ($$$$) would be an OLD sewing machine because the motors are more powerful than the motors in newer ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2006 11:19:45 PM »

Personally, I will always love my workhorse of a 1970's Kenmore.  Mine has all the cams for fancy embroidered stitches.

i have one of those!  my cat messed up the tension system, so i need to get it repaired, but i haven't had the patience to disconnect it from the desk it's in to haul it to a shop.  instead i bought a super cheap sewing machine.... it works, but it's soooo touchy.  i miss my kenmore!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelovedGoddess
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2006 06:21:12 AM »

It's not such a big deal if I break mine-- it has a 10 year warranty. 

Yeah but a 10 year warranty on what?  Have you read the fine print?

My car had a 5 year warranty on it, 2 out of 3 major things that went wrong with it weren't covered by warranty. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Punker Chic
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2006 12:34:34 PM »

I know what you people mean.... my sister was sewing on my beloved forty-stich Singer (named Cassie, by the way... that's not creepy, right?) and the needle was too loose. I told her, and she said 'Whatever! Now let me sew!' Well, she didn't tighten it. it fell out and got pushed down into the bobbin. Along with her finger. So she's yelling 'Riley! Come unpin me from your stupid machine!' I come, seeing her finger and purse on the needle like a shishkabob. I couldn't unpin her because the needle was jammed into the bobbin, so we had to take her to the emergency room like that. Great, right? I had to replace the bobbin holder, it was cracked in half, and the bobbin box was all bloody. She always gets me in the middle of the night, though, because it's in my room and she wants to use it. I awake in the middle of the night to her sewing a lot. But she always makes sure the needle is as tight as it gets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Trick To Making Your Eye Shadow Pop
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
Three Beauty Tips For Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
A Trick For Slimming Your Face With Make-Up, from Katia Beauchamp
Beauty Essentials For Men, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...