A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 306,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 16122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

razorsharp

rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2006 04:24:42 PM »

Speaking of "just like knitting" I had to have the conversation with my boyfriend the other day about why he couldn't STEP on my vintage wood needles. (the cat knocked them out of my knitting basket and instead of picking them up he walked on them. I freaked) That particular set of needles was handed down to me from my Grandmother, who's father had made them for her directly after they immigrated here from Ireland because she had lost her only set in the move. They are hand carved. I could NEVER replace them. But "you can buy another pair at JoAnnes for like four dollars."

I don't sew myself, but my mother in law has a gorgeous bernina machine that I am only occasionally allowed to use under strict supervision when I want to make a liner for one of my knitted purses. I understand the attachment to any good peice of machinery, even if it's two sticks of wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

design. dye. knit. spin. sip.
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006 05:54:14 AM »

But "you can buy another pair at JoAnnes for like four dollars."

Hand him a block of wood and tell him to make you some more. 

I got my new sewing machine today, was at a secondhand store and there was a wooden box sitting on the counter with "singer" written on it.  Opened it to reveal a lovely old machine - according to the model number it's 1920's.  Hand cranked - just what I was after.  I don't know how to thread it but did test it by turning the wheel - looks like it will work when I find instructions on threading it.  Only had one problem with it, the sales people didn't click in one side properly and when I picked it up by the handle to put it on the car seat so I could carry it properly inside one side of the case popped up.  I tried to push it down but it wouldn't go down so I thought I'd use the key to unlock the other side, but it wouldn't turn all the way then got stuck and I tried to turn it back it ended up breaking the key  Shocked.  Eventually I managed to thump down the case then looked at the lock, remembered that the key looked flat like a screwdriver so I found a small enough screwdriver and it worked perfectly  Cheesy  I paid $95au for it, had been marked down from $150.  I knew if I didn't buy it I would probably never see one again.  It's funny because I suddenly thought to myself today that I had to go to that particular store - I have things that I want to donate but I didn't want to take the time to get them I knew I had to leave right away. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006 06:03:54 AM »

My Mom and I found a great OLD hand cranked singer in a  2nd hand shop for $10(!!) over Christmas. We got in line to pay for it and when I went to the back to pick it up, it was gone! The manager and I looked at the security tape and it was STOLEN while we were paying! A woman took the price tag off, showed it to the loading guys, and they loaded it up and she drove away, all while we were in line! Unbelievable!

I checked the one I have at home and it's a singer stylist. Anyone have any good tips on that model?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006 05:00:33 PM »

Shocked  What a shocker!

Go to the Singer website - they have manuals for their old sewing machines there, I was lucky while I was there, found a free download for the treadle version of my machine - everything else is the same.  I set it up and have found it sews beautifully. 

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

And if you email them here, TalkToUs@SingerCo.com with your model number they can tell you the birthdate of your machine.  My one was manufactured on 1 December 1920 at Clydeband, Scotland. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neko neko kitty
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2006 11:12:14 AM »

I have been begging my Mom for a sewing machine for years, particularly the Singer she has, but never uses, excpet when she pulls it out every other year to hem up a pair of pants. So finally one year they bought me one. I was so excited, but it turned out to be one of those $40 ones at Wal Mart. They wanted me to start sewing all the clothes I had been ranting about making, but it could barely handle making small stuff. So it never got used, I continued to beg for my Mom's until I finally gave up a couple years ago. Then this year for Christmas I asked for one, just to see the results. My parents didn't seem to get the "All I want for Christmas is a sewing machine" hint, but my friend knew about how badly I've been wanting one and his grandmother past away and he gave me her sewing machine, since it was doomed to be thrown away, unless he saved it. Unfortunatly I've gotten busy and haven't had time to use it yet  Cry But I love it, though it would have been nice to get the old Singer, that converts into a table, but I have no room for it and it is going to a good home... thank goodness or I'd of had to save that one too!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2006 07:45:13 PM »

Speaking of "just like knitting" I had to have the conversation with my boyfriend the other day about why he couldn't STEP on my vintage wood needles. (the cat knocked them out of my knitting basket and instead of picking them up he walked on them. I freaked) That particular set of needles was handed down to me from my Grandmother, who's father had made them for her directly after they immigrated here from Ireland because she had lost her only set in the move. They are hand carved. I could NEVER replace them. But "you can buy another pair at JoAnnes for like four dollars."

I would have caused him pain, with the antique knitting needles.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2006 08:15:47 AM »

i really don't understand what's so bad about the cheap sewing machines. my parents bought me a cheapie $100 machine for christmas a couple years ago. sure, it doesn't do much and it certainly can't handle much, but then again, my only sewing experiences were taking in huge concert tshirts. i wanted the machine so that i could make my own clothes [[ at 5'2 and 90 lbs, i'm pretty much stuck shopping in the children's department ]], and i'm thankful they didn't get me something fancy and expensive. crappy machines are good for learning, and if you accidently break them, its not such a big deal.

plus, i don't see myself getting into anything that would require a more sophisticated machine anytime soon. why spend the money?

but, on the other hand... because the device was so inexpensive, i left it in tennessee when i moved up to pennsylvania. now i sew everything by hand Sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordpress.com
www.wickedtomatofactory.etsy.com
gerbilonwheels
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2006 10:26:04 PM »

It's not such a big deal if I break mine-- it has a 10 year warranty.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006 11:50:26 AM »

so i posted a page or two ago about my grandma's machine (which is now mine) and about how i think it's great and how special it is... (for a photo: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.needleworkgoodies.com/manuals/Singer338manual.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sewwhat.net/millie/H.sm_manualsCOPIES.htm&h=427&w=640&sz=62&tbnid=dgzLiTS7U43ZsM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsinger%2B328k%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)  then over the weekend, i guess i was giving it too much lovin', and i jammed it! 
oh no!  and just as  i had bought some new fabric at a great sale in center city!

but luckily i live in a great city, and a sewing machine repair man (who makes housecalls, no less) is going to look at it tomorrow.  i'm crossing my fingers (and hoping the office doesn't mind if i take a sickday on behalf of my ailing machine...)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

supasonicsage
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2006 12:13:40 AM »

I had an old pfaff for years that was ok, but didn't really do much and tended to ball thread up on the bottom for no real reason what so ever... I did a website for a sewing machine store and got a $2000 machine in the bargin.  All I can say is that a good machine makes sitting down to sew relaxing and pleasurable instead of frustrating and aggravating.  I recently stayed with my mom for a couple of months and she was sewing uniform tops on a cheapie brother machine... It hurt me to hear that thing chugging along and catching and balling up thread.  Needless to say, she got a new machine for Christmas and is in love.  It wasn't even hugely expensive..  I just don't think Walmart is a good place to get a machine, but I wouldn't buy a car there either and most sewing machines will last longer than a car will...  or a tv... or a computer... well... you get the idea

There are a lot of good machines out there with metal gears and oscillating hook systems that don't cost thousands of dollars, but a lot of people seem to think that a sewing machine is a sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
And the sun is still here...
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...