A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 13499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006 06:07:19 PM »

I've definitely had people underestimate the cost and value of a good machine. Even when I was in fashion design school! Girls were constantly asking to use it, or take it to their rooms for "a few hours or so" to finish a project here and there. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to let them (people I wasn't even friends with) borrow my machine (which was around $850!!) I quickly began to just say "Oh, gosh. You know, I just have so many projects I really can't spare it for a moment!" rather than try to explain (delicately) that I can't loan my sophisticated piece of equipment to just anyone who wanted to reconstruct a tee shirt or whatever when there were free machines available 24/7 across the street. Granted, they were industrial machines (not much fun to sew with) but they did the job and I brought my machine because I knew I'd be comfortable with it.  Smiley

Don't even get me started on people who ask if they could get my machine (or one similar) at Wal-Mart, or if sewing as a hobby saves tons me of money. Sewing is very misunderstood these days, much like knitting  Tongue
...MUCH like knitting.
I shock my new coworkers and friends constantly b/c when I pull out something I'm knitting they say, "You knit???" and give me that deer in the headlights look...
All I can say is, "Remember that scarf you got for Christmas? Dude...That was handmade you idiot!"
haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006 06:31:47 PM »

I love reading all these stories. When I was little, I used my mum's old sewing machine to make doll's clothes, etc. It was the singer she made her wedding dress on, which sadly got tossed when they moved.  More recently, I have been using my friend's Elna, which cost the same as my computer Shocked.  I got my own Kenmore a year ago, and it is my new friend... I call her "Stitches."   Cheesy

Everyone is right tho... I think that because you can buy a cheapo sewing machine for $40 at walmart or wherever, people who don't sew don't realize that high-end sewing machines can literally cost thousands of dollars. that's ok... we can educate them.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
HorrorCraft
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2006 12:14:42 PM »

My first sewing machine was my Great Grandmother's.  It's an old Singer, still in it's cabinet. 
It's in storage right now, waiting for me to move into a place where I can actually use it.  It still runs fine, but I know it needs a tune-up.  The cabinet has seen some abuse, but I will eventually restore that as well.

I love it very simply.  A little over 3 years ago I moved from Virginia to Indiana.  I only took what could fit in my car, and that Singer took up a lot of room, but there was no way I was ever going to leave it behind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2006 12:28:46 PM »

My first sewing machine was my Great Grandmother's.  It's an old Singer, still in it's cabinet. 
It's in storage right now, waiting for me to move into a place where I can actually use it.  It still runs fine, but I know it needs a tune-up.  The cabinet has seen some abuse, but I will eventually restore that as well.

I love it very simply.  A little over 3 years ago I moved from Virginia to Indiana.  I only took what could fit in my car, and that Singer took up a lot of room, but there was no way I was ever going to leave it behind!

LOL, I just hauled my grandma's machine and my friend's grandma's sewing table OUT of Fishers! Hi to Fishers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
HorrorCraft
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006 12:34:44 PM »

Lol, how ironic and Hi back!  Fishers is a nice community, but I don't feel it's "home to me".  So my Great Grandmother's machine will be moved once again. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006 12:47:29 PM »

Yeah, I haven't lived there in years, but my parents do. I was a broadripple gal, but now in the twin cities! Spent Christmas in Fishers though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2006 12:52:07 PM »

i asked my grandma if i could borrow her sewing machine a year ago because since she hadn't used it in ages and i was really getting into crafty endeavors.   i'd used my mom's all the time in high school, so i knew what i was doing with it and had been warned of how super special a good sewing machine is. 
it's a super old singer (50's?) and it's a tank!  i love how industrial the powder-coated steel casing is!  i always really appreciated having the machine at my old apartment in VA (my family lives in NJ) but when my grandma passed away in september, it became even more precious to me because it was hers... 
so it's like a double gift - that i am able to "borrow" it and that i get to think of her each time i pull it out for a project!

i don't think non-sewing people really get how much a machine means to someone who has a "good" one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2006 12:58:19 PM »

This may be heresy on this thread..but has anyone ever painted an old sewing machine? It's a 70's ish singer the color of a manila envelope, and I think it would be fun if it had a little makeover. I am going to paint the table it sits in while the machine is away at the "sewing machine spa", but I think it would be cute painted to match the table. Is this sewing blasphemy? Will it hurt my "new" old machine? It was my grandma's but it was one of many  she had over the years, so it's not *that* sentimental, so that I want to preserve its beautiful manilla-ness.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006 01:23:25 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2006 01:19:23 PM »

I decoupaged my machine.  Okay, not the whole machine.  I named it (Daisy Anne) and put stickers on it, to spell out her name.  The stickers started to peel up at the corners, so I put some decoupage over them, and haven't had a problem since.  (So we're really only talking about a 4" x 3" section on the top/front.)

I don't want a new, fancy-schmancy, computerized machine.  I detest those things.  They totally lack character.  And they do all sorts of crap I don't need and nothing that I do.  How many embroidery stitches do I need, really? 

My mom has a Singer Touch and Sew from the 70s that I love.  It can go thru tons of fabric.  My newer (albeit, cheaper Singer) one will not.  And it has a wind-in-place bobbin.  You just push over a button and wind away.  It's sweet.  Of course, they're going for an arm and a leg on ebay.  (I just can't rationalize spending over $100 on an old machine.  $60 is my personal limit, and most Touch and Sews go for over $100, plus shipping!)  Here's one I tried to bid on, but it the reserve was never met:

I just won a Singer Creative Touch 1036 (circa 79-82), though.

Except for the top brown part, it's supposed to be all metal construction, and from the pictures, it has the same wind-in-place bobbin as the Touch and Sew, plus droppable feed dogs, so I can sew thru gobs of layers.  (And, it turns out it was the last sewing machine ever to be produced in the US.  After that, they were all made over seas.)

I can't wait to get my new baby.  I'd love to have my Grandma's old Singer.  I have no idea the year or model, but it's from the 50s, I'm sure.  It's green.  It hasn't been working right, so she got my aunt's New Home (68, and also green), but if the Singer is fixable, it's been promised to me.  I can dream!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006 01:25:49 PM »

I'll have to check the model tonight...I have no idea! I just got it, and I need to get it cleaned and serviced before I start taking classes in March. I'm just really tempted to give it a shiny coat of "appliance paint" to pretty it up a little!  Smiley I'm going to start painting the table soon, to go in my new guest/sewing room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Snake Charmer Costume for Halloween
Is It Time to Get a Chemical Peel?
Tips For Long Lasting Makeup and Oily Hair
Manicure Trends from Fashion Week Designers
Selena Gomez Fresh Face Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...