A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "only a sewing machine"  (Read 16532 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ms.goofball
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005 11:00:44 AM »

i started hand quilting as a 4-H project when i was 10..i picked it up again when i was 16 and learned from a dear neighbor how to sew on a machine since moms machine was soooo complicated.  a year later, my parents gave me my first Singer. It came in its own retro 70's bowling bag case and only does straight and zig zag, but thats all i wanted.

Since then i have made tons of baby blankets, a giant star quilt, and several pj pants that don't quite fit. i have found my new machine at a repair shop though. 300 bucks and its all mine. one day..... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alice Blue
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005 11:43:10 AM »

i don't really know anyone else who sews, so i feel that no one really understands.

ok...i'll stop now...i just heard myself:  "no one understands me and my sewing machine!!" 
i feel a little ridiculous!....hahahaaa   Tongue

Oh, but I understand!  I learned how to sew on my mom's first sewing machine purchased the year she got married -- 1966.  I remember at some point in high school wanting to make a dress out of stretchy material and asking the woman at the sewing shop how I could do it so the stitches wouldn't be too tight.  She told me that my machine should have a setting which would do it automatically.  My mom and I shrugged our shoulders in bafflement, because neither of us had ever used a machine with such settings! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
4Winds
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005 09:00:58 PM »

Yup, the old ones are better for some things.  The "ancient" Morris my stepdad bought to sew his own leather/fur clothes for the Muzzle Loaders group he shot with in the 80's still sews through layers of leather and denim.  My "new" Brother makes pretty stitches, but REFUSES to sew anything thick.  Does anyone even make a machine that does tough and pretty?  My kids are nearing "move out" age and I would like to get them something they won't break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.  ~ Og Mandino
I am the light of the world... ~ Jesus
thing2
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006 03:35:08 PM »

Does anyone even make a machine that does tough and pretty?  My kids are nearing "move out" age and I would like to get them something they won't break.

Some people seem to have something against Kenmores (the Sears brand), but mine is a workhorse, never busts, and has some nice stitches.  I got mine for a present from my father (he came to the store and everything to pick it out!) about seven or eight years ago (I think it was about $150 or so), and it's never needed to be fixed and has done some pretty hefty jobs for me (sewing gigantic foam cushions, seen me thru a number of thick machine-quilted quilts).  A newer, or upper-range one might have even more fancy stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006 10:02:39 PM »

I have my great aunt's singer I think it's from the 70's. Does good for me. I just figured to my enthuse that that nasty stitch skipping it was doing was because I had the wrong needle in it.. also just figured out how to do a double needle stich on it. It's a beast being that I sew 3 layers of faux fur on it and it only complains sometimes. I think I've had the most trouble sewing broadcloth on it (got my finger good).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006 05:55:00 AM »

I just put a bid on my next "new" sewing machine.  Fingers crossed no-one puts another bid on in the next 20 hours.  It's an antique singer machine in need of some tlc and a new table.  Hopefully I can beg an old singer treadle stand from my Grandmother. 

I just gave away one of these babies for free!  I'm not quite sure about the logistics of how I would have sent it to you though.   Huh  I stopped using the one I inheirited in case it gave me tetanus or something.  It IS older than me and my mum combined!   Shocked

I'm currently wrestling with the toyota.  I can feel it watching me as I type this though..   Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Winyari
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006 10:15:04 AM »

I  just have to jump in here...

I fell guilty to the It's only a sewing machine thought once...  No more!

I've been sewing all my life.  And I guess as a kid, using my mom's ancient 1950's Singer that skips stitches, breaks threads, gumms up the bobbin, etc.  I just though sewing machines were supposed to do that.  When I moved out, my mom gave me my grandma's Viking.  I was so excited because it did so much more then just straight stitch and zig-zag.  But still it was ancient, from the early 1980's. 

One day I was sewing and it broke.  I don't really remember what happened, but it wouldn't work anymore.  So I found a sewing repair shop that works on Vikings and took it in for an estimate to fix.  I got the call that said it would cost about $280 to fix and I was shocked.  I decided then that I would just use the money to buy a "really nice" machine.  So I started to shop around. 

It turns out that my grandma spent about $900 on this one back in the early 80's.  I couldn't find a machine that was as sturdy, sew through as many layers, etc. as this one for my price range.  I had this huge eye opening experience where I now understand the value of my machine and I know that one day I'm going to spend a very large dollar amount and get the most kick ass machine around!

Needless to say, I forked out the cash, had my machine fixed and now baby it and love it every single day.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006 01:47:40 PM »

I have three sewing machines and I love them all Roll Eyes  One I got from my mother( it sat on the kitchen table my entire life cause it was always being used) one I got from my MIL it also is very old and my husband remembers it in use all the time Smiley  and I have one that came out of my old schools home ec room before they tore it down.
  Now I can do a multicolor project and not have to stop to change thread and bobbin, I just have each machine set up with a different color Cool  and no a lot of my friends don't get it either Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theantihipster
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006 02:22:17 PM »

so my experience wasn't so much "it's only a sewing machine" but rather "it's not YOUR sewing machine"

my step-dad (who is a complete asshole, lets just be clear) had a sewing machine that I had never seen him use, it just sat in our downstairs closet for years. My grandma paid to have it fixed and it just sat there until I finally begged to use it when I was 14 and he let me. It ate up fabric, the bobbin would get tangled, the whole nine. I was still determined to use it, and I did for 6 months or so until he decided that I was no longer allowed to use it.
so the machine went back into the closet, and it still hasn't been touched to this day, because he claimed that he might want to use it and didn't want me messing it up.

it's been years since then and I'm waiting on a new machine that I should have soon. I guess my point is I'd rather see a sewing machine get used rather than have one sit and waste away (which I found out later was part of the reason it functioned so poorly)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new etsy shop! come see! come see!

www.madebylaurenb.etsy.com my new stuff
dooney
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006 03:03:09 PM »

I have to say this:
But still it was ancient, from the early 1980's.
I'M from the early 1980's!

Anyway. I don't think I've ever had the "only a sewing machine" thought. I told my mom I wanted to learn to sew when I was little, and we bought material and a pattern, and nothing ever came of it. But I remember her making stuff (my clown halloween costume!), and when I finally did use it, I regarded it as a person, with personality, quirks, and faults.

My grandma saw some of the stuff I made and offered me her mom's (my great-grandma's) machine, which automatically makes the thing PRICELESS. It's an old Kenmore, but it's pretty fancy. All sorts of stitches, TONS of attachments, and two of every manual.

The funny part is that when we went to pick it up, I didn't know where it was. My mom goes "it's right there" and points to the "table" next to the refrigerator. My entire life, that thing was nothing more than a piece of furniture we threw our coats on when we came to visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Tea Wallet
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Personalized Pet Collar
Wild Animals on Your Tree

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...