A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purse mishaps w/pic  (Read 1701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darksidevegan
« on: April 25, 2007 09:48:53 AM »

Here's a couple mishaps I've had lately...

I make a lot of custom purses for people and a couple weeks ago a girl asked me to make a large purse with an inner pocket, and eyelets on the top with fabric threaded through. After finding the material she wanted, which was pretty expensive, I set to work. All was well until I got to the inner pocket. When I went to sew in the zipper, the slight stretchiness of the material messed it all up, so I decided to try a different pocket style.
Too bad I ran out of material, so I had to go back to the store and buy more fabric. I get home and try to attach the pocket via zig zag stitch... and it also didn't work out. So I give up on the whole pocket thing and tell the girl I'll take $5 off since I wasn't able to add the pocket. After putting the purse together, it was time to  make the holes for the eyelets. Of course, I didn't have a punch for the holes, so I improvised and used my seam ripper.
After getting the first hole done, I moved on to the second... then woopse, I ripped a hole over an inch long through 4 layers of fabric and two of thick interfacing!  For a while I thought I would have to do some weird appliqué or something, but alas! my dad had larger eyelets, a hole punch and helped me get all the eyelets in. Finally the  dang thing was done, so I email the girl and she's excited... until her mom takes away her money and won't let her buy any more purses! So after all that work and stress, I haven't even sold it yet! Here's a picture of the finished thing.

The next custom purse I made wasn't so dreadful, but I still had problems. A chick wanted a purse to have a skull & crossbones & bow appliqué and the wording "I'm a mother fucking princess" on the front. So after doing the applique, I used my not so good MS Paint skills to do the wording and print it out on iron on paper. Fortunately I cut out each word separately, because on the "I'm" I found out it wasn't going to work at all. The iron on looked really bad on the black fabric, and you couldn't see the wording at all. So I went to work using my nails to scrape off the iron on stuff until I couldn't take it anymore and cut off part of it and finished the purse up. I didn't get a picture of that purse, but here's a picture of one that it was based off of and has the same style/applique.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.krisaki.wordpress.com
Bento. Fashion. Crafts.

buy clothing, purses, and accesories from me at
sweetheart.etys.com
yvonnevantpadje
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007 10:35:29 AM »

To me they look fine, then again I have never made a purse/bag myself.

I think that first one looks really cool <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007 10:39:49 AM »

The striped fabric is super cute. Sewing zippers on stretchy fabrics is a pain in the a**. I usually put interface or stabilizer on the back to prevent it from stretching.

And I totally hear you about making things that people don't even buy. Its the terror of making custom bags (which i also do). I once bought supplies to make a messanger bag, and the girl called me up an said she bought one instead. I was really pissed.

Other than that, I really like the striped one. I think the eyelets are a good touch : ) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
moonmom
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007 10:44:11 PM »

I agree. Nice bags, but love the first one, too bad about not selling it to her. It is good to have a variety of styles. Sometimes all it takes is one look and a gal is hooked....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 04:27:44 PM »

Is that a plush fabric on the second one?

Myself, I avoid zippers, saves me the trouble.  Here in Maine there is a chain of discount odd stuff resellers called Mardens, great places to hunt for stuff.  Wife and I found 22 inch zippers for 15 cents.  I think we got $6 worth.

They are all hers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
stargazersewer
Fat is not a 4 letter word.....

Oh, ma....let me sleep.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007 12:59:28 PM »

As patrick's wife and a zippered bag maker i just wanted to say that I love both bags.  I think the blue one came out nice.  I hate stretch material for bag making too.  I looooovvee. the skull with the bow.  I think it is so cute. 
and about the zippers, they are all mine until he wants something to have one.  then it's "hunny, can you do this for me?" hehe. 
Shawna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hot_hermione

OOO! What a hottie, yes i know im a HP dork:D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007 05:30:13 PM »

i agree with everyone else, the bags/purse looks fine.  but of course im a beginner when it comes to sewing, teaching myself at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethanyjoyce
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007 12:37:58 AM »

i one botched an iron on transfer to a t-shirt, and after an hour of picking off increasingly tiny bits of a lightning bolt, I discovered the magic solution:
Goo Gone.

I put it on, let it sit for a few minutes, pulled the remaining pieces off and then washed the t-shirt. Got it all off and didn't damage the shirt. Of course, it was a cotton/poly blend, so I guess you'd have to be working with an easily washable purse. But it saved me a whole lot of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spicy Meatball Submarine Sandwich Recipe
Elegant Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grilled T-Bone Beef Steak Recipe
Celebration Veggie Relish Tray Recipe
Lemon Thyme Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...