A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teen Lunchbox  (Read 2640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NaeNae
« on: May 21, 2004 02:06:44 AM »

I have my niece staying with me and she eats breakfast, but takes no lunch to school. this means she comes home and starts pigging out on crisps, chocolate, candy, puddings... before having her evening meal. she is starting to eat very poorly as a result of this.

i just bought her the most amazing little hello kitty bento box with the intention of filling it with wholesome, filling, healthy foods each day. things are really tight around the house at the moment, so the cheaper the better.

anybody got any good recipes for a lunchbox that are cheap and chearful? i know she likes spicey things. rice, cold pastas, salads....

thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krebstar5
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004 04:57:21 AM »

Spaghetti pies, cous-cous, calzones, frittatas.  All of these are nice because you can use leftovers to spice them up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
ForevrBee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004 05:51:28 AM »

This would be actually more of a snack food. add some chips (I'm thinking of something like Garden of Eatin's blue corn chips, I like them with the lime added) & for the spiciness,  in a little Tupperware dish, some dip mixed with some Wasabi powder (Warning: use it very, very sparingly! The first time I had this with some sushi, I'd put on a little too much for my roll & almost died. it was so powerful.) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004 01:06:22 PM »

If you have an asian store near you can get the vingear power that they use to make sushi rice.  It adds great flavor and makes the rice sticky enough to hold together to form into rice balls.
Though this does not really go in a bento box, soups can be really healthy and filling.  One of my favorite cheap soups is potato leek.  Just boil potatoes, and leeks in chicken broth, then puree....season to taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Jule
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004 04:50:06 PM »

Carrot sticks, celery sticks, Tomatoe wedges with a homemade dip or dressing.  One of my favs is 16 oz. sour cream ( I prefer low fat) & 3 tablespoons mayo  mixed with a packet of GoodSeasons Brans salad dressing mix. Or the same base mixed with 2 tablespoons salad herbs, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, dash of red pepper flakes.  Mix the dip the night before & chill well to let flavors blend.

Apples slices, strawberries, or mellon chunks (dipped in cold water & lemon juice for a few mins to keep from browning.) with a yogurt dip. Use any flavor yogurt & mix with a teaspoon or 2 of jam, or a couple tablespoons of yogurt flavored with a few pinches of powdered drink mix.

A party mix  or gorp made with driend verrgies, seeds & cereal.

Apple Oatmeal Cookies II
Moist, tasty cookies. Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Cook
   Time: approx. 40 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 1 Hour . Makes 4  doz   Printed from Allrecipes,Submitted by Cindy Carnes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 cup margarine, softened     1/2 cup honey     1 egg     1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour     1/2 teaspoon baking soda     3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats     1 apple, cored and chopped
Directions
1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).     Grease cookie sheets.
2 In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, honey, egg and vanilla until smooth. Combine the whole wheat flour,   baking soda and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats and apple. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3 Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing
   to a wire rack to cool completely.

Applesauce Bread I
This is a really good and moist bread. Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 1 Hour 20 Minutes. Ready
   in: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes. Makes 2 loaves (24 servings). Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Linda Gaffney
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 cups all-purpose flour     3 eggs     2 cups white sugar    1 cup vegetable oil     2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins (optional)      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon     1 teaspoon baking soda     1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
2 Beat together eggs, sugar, and oil. Blend in applesauce, and then sour cream or buttermilk. Mix in flour, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon. Stir in raisins. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3 Bake for 80 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Creamy Yogurt Hummus
This version of the delicious, creamy Middle Eastern dip uses non-fat yogurt and is delicious with crackers, raw vegetables or toasted pita slices. Prep Time: approx. 5 Minutes.
   Ready in: approx. 5 Minutes. Makes 3 cups (24 servings). Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Sara
1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained     1 clove garlic, peeled    1 teaspoon salt    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
Directions
1 In a blender or food processor, blend garbanzo beans until smooth. Mix in garlic, salt, lemon juice and yogurt.
Blend to desired consistency.

Thai Noodle Salad
This is a delicious and flavorful salad. Udon noodles can be purchased at health food stores, Asian food stores and at most supermarkets. Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 25 Minutes.
   Makes 6 to 8 servings. Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by jessica
8 ounces Udon noodles     1/2 cup unsalted crunchy peanut butter     1/2 cup milk   1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced         3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar      3 tablespoons soy sauce   1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes   1 cucumber, julienned    2 cups fresh bean sprouts   2 carrots, grated
6 green onions, thinly sliced    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint   1 head romaine lettuce    1 cup chopped peanuts
Directions
1 In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the udon noodles for about five minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold running water and let cool.
2 Whisk the peanut butter, milk, ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a small
bowl until well blended.
3 In a large salad bowl, combine the cooked noodles, cucumber, sprouts, carrot, green onions and mint. Wisk the peanut butter dressing and pour it over the salad. Stir until well coated and serve chilled on a bed of romaine leaves.
Garnish with the roasted and chopped peanuts.

Jule

« Last Edit: May 21, 2004 05:16:55 PM by Jule » THIS ROCKS   Logged
faux

My mama's a lama...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004 06:32:57 PM »

Wraps are always good, so much more fun than a sandwich, and really easy.  My fav is to spread ranch dressing on the wrap (you can use tortillas) than tossing on some tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and whatever other veggies happen to be laying around on top of that.  This is quite delish, and great since I'm slowly going veggi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sartasticness
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004 10:57:13 PM »

hummus or tobuli (spelling?) with some peta bread and/or veggies for dipping... fruits are always good... um... take-out leftovers or somethin... like pasta or even pizza. Um.... simple sandwiches of some sort... even if its just pb&j, its better than nothing. Peanut butter is a pretty good source of protein. Um... let's see... if you have a thermous that's really good at keeping things hot, soup can be good, especially if it were winter.. which its not.

Okay, i'm brain dead today. hope i could help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004 11:29:49 PM »

i think the easiest lunch is really leftover dinner, but that won't always fit into a cute bento box.

i used to make a big pot of thick vegetarian chili and wrap it up for lunch burritos. even just spicy bean mash with rice and veggies is awesome, and super cheap to make.

(for a spicy bean mash, i saute lots of onion and garlic, then add chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, basil, and a little cinnamon, then add some black/kidney beans and a bit of tomato, mash it up and simmer until irresistable. finish with some cilantro, maybe.)

also, big homemade muffins go a long way. oatmeal raisin or banana or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Excerpt from A Farewell to Arms By Ernest Hemingway
How to Get a Literary Agent
Marjorie Celona Discusses Her Novel Y
Lenore Appelhans Discusses Her Novel Level 2
Mini Biography of William Shakespeare
Latest Blog Articles
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...