A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Refinishing a picture frame  (Read 2615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2003 10:06:24 AM »

While I was at the thrift store looking for records to melt in to bowls, I found this pretty 8x10 wood frame for 99 cents.  However, it's in desperate need of refinishing, as it looks like the layer of paint (?) that was on it is peeling off.  It's a rather ornate frame with 3-dimensional roses around the border.

I was thinking of either repainting it and putting either gold or silver leaf on it, or spray painting it silver.  Are there any steps I should take?  Do I need to sand it down (might be difficult with the roses)?  Should I use a particular type of paint?

Or, does anyone have any other really great ideas on how to refinish it?  I definitely intend to use it to hold a photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004 05:41:58 AM »

Ok, this is reallllly an old post ..u probably already finished your frame - but I thought i'd reply anyways ...

I redid a thrift store find that was the same thing. sorta...no flowers ..but somewhat of a textured fancy edge [ see pic ]

I sanded the old paint off slightly [ I didnt sand even all of it..just until the frame felt smooth ...... and I was careful around the inset where the design is.  ( I would take the lowest grade sandpaper around the flowers and use the corner of the sand paper to get it the grooves ) I cleaned it , made sure it was dry and sprayed it with 3 coats of silver spray paint.  

The inside is even the cardboard I was using to spray paint on! it had a neat look to it from being randomly sprayed, so I just cut it to fit the frame and put..yup..

A picture of Archie + Edith from All in the Family. I'm an Archie Bunker fanatic.  crazy enough this pic is in my bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004 05:43:54 AM by artzyfartzy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004 10:19:39 AM »

artzy, that looks great! If you are worried about taking off too much paint or detail with sandpaper, try steel wool - I use it all the time whenever I strip and refinish anything.

dani24, not sure what color your frame is, but if you want to refinish it, after you smooth any rough edges (like where the paint has peeled away) you could put crackle medium or hide glue (does the same thing as crackle medium) and paint on top of that - the colors from underneath will show throw a bit (which I usually like) and crackling can hide a multitude of sins in terms of small chips, etc. Sounds like you got a deal - have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
andy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004 09:31:15 AM »

I did two picture frames...and this is what I did...

painted navy blue,,,,tole paint...
took the drackel med. and painted over ..read directions..
when dry I sprayed with two FLORAL SPRAY PAINTS...GOLD  and SILVER  ...

randomly over all lightly when intermixed , they came out beautiful....

then of course when they dried they were sealed....

Many many compliments on these frames...

that would certainly be beautiful on a raised design...

Mine were flat pine frames....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004 09:42:05 AM »

Also if the design is too ornate to sand, you might want to try some paint stripper.  You can get this at Sears or your local hardware store.  It's nasty, toxic stuff and you have to wear rubber gloves, but it softens the paint up so that you can scrape it off (sometimes even wipe it off).
 I did this in my old house to remove the paint from these cool, patterned switchplates that were in the house.  Then I covered them with that silver rub n' buff stuff.  They turned out really neat - but the silver started to wear off after a while.  kind of an antiqued effect.  Too bad I don't live there anymore so I can't take pictures....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004 08:25:02 AM »

melidomi, next time try something called CitriStrip - it's an less toxic, more enviromentally friendly, and smells great! I will say that sometimes, on a really tough finish, it won't work as well, and then you have to use the toxic stuff - but I do a lot of stripping and refinishing of furniture etc. and I would say it works about 75% of the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix the Dough for Naan Bread
How to Make Naan Bread
How to Add the Tandoori Style Chicken to the Sauce
How to Prep the Ingredients for Butter Sauce
How to Cook Tandoori Style Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...