A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Shops (or anything craft related really!) in Ireland?  (Read 5028 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laurac

Baaa! I'm a sheep!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2005 03:15:10 AM »

Hi,

I'm going to be hitting the road next month and visiting Belfast, Limerick and Dublin.

Anyone know of any good yarn shops I could visit? Although knitting is my main hobby, I love pretty much anything crafty!

Thanks

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonzo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005 03:43:09 AM »

Gah!! I can't believe I just saw this, hope it's not too late! I live in Dublin, and can recommend the Blarney Woollen Mills shop which is just at the Ha'Penny Bridge right in the city centre. It's small, but has some nice stuff. There's a chain of fabric and wool stores called Hickeys, you'll find them on Henry Street or in the St Stephens Green shopping centre. Also there's a nice fabric store right near the Market Arcade...can't remember the name but it's right near a bead store called Crown Jewels and a vintage store called Harlequin.

Anyway, they're all in the city centre so if you're out and about you'll be able to find them easily enough. Hope it's not waaay too late! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laurac

Baaa! I'm a sheep!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005 04:57:15 AM »

Thanks!

I was there on Saturday night at the Temple Bar Music Centre, but it turned out that I barely had time to eat let alone shop!

Had a great time though. Dublin is ace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 10:39:29 AM »

bonzo, your post isn't too late for my trip! i'm just off now to look at a map to find these places! yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j0j0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006 03:43:11 PM »

Hi,

if you are in Belfast try Craftworld on Queen street for general crafty stuff, Simpsons (behind marks and Spencers) for knitting stuff, Abacus Beads on Castle Street for, uh, beads and the Spinning Wheel (along the left hand side of the City Hall as you are facing it) for fabrics.  Although I'm sure the shops in Dublin are better, these could be worth a look if you are up this way anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhythmgrl
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 03:50:51 PM »

The shops that you all mentioned, do they carry Irish yarns or are they more commercial - stuff I can find anywhere?  I'm arriving in Dublin on 30th of May, will be in Belfast for just a day and back to Dublin for another four days.

Thanks!
Also, can anyone recommend some non-touristy places to hit for a good time?  Traditional music, pubs, etc that aren't corny?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009 05:52:56 AM »

i was just there a week or so ago! (also it's worth noting that I can be folded up flat and fit in your suitcase) there is very little yarn available in ireland actually spun from the sheep of ireland. it's  too rough for sweaters and garments. the bulk of that yarn is sent to those countries that make carpets and such.

most spinners, knitters and weavers use fiber that is imported, from south america or austrailia, occasionally japan. in dublin check out this is knit and springwools. i had great luck at this is knit, alas, i never got a chance to find springwools.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Natural Oil Mask for Damaged Hair
How to Prevent Frizz
How to Make a Haircut Last Longer
How to Make Hair Color Last Longer
How to Style Your Hair with Mousse
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...