A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keeping a Stencil on a T-shirt  (Read 4129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chanse
« on: May 20, 2004 02:31:04 PM »

Hey, i'm chris... that is my intro to this site. 

anyway, i've really been getting into stenciling and want to make my own t-shirt.  i have my stencils, i have my textile medium with the acrylic which works very well... but it runs.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any kind of adhesive type stuff what would make my stencil stick to the shirt, but not so much that is stays there. 

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love you all.
playtetris
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004 11:40:47 PM »

i don't know if this helps cause you already have your stencils made - but next time try making the stencils out of contact paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

he's feeling it and so are all the boys he's with.
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004 11:03:23 AM »

i don't know if this helps cause you already have your stencils made - but next time try making the stencils out of contact paper.

i was thinking of doing my first stencil out of contact paper. but i was wondering how it holds up to being pulled off the shirt when you're done. can you use it again? i'm afraid the cutting out will be the hardest part for me (i'm horrible when it comes to fine motor coordination things like that) and i was hoping to be able to use them more than once. what have you experienced stencilers found?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
schquimpy
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004 11:23:40 AM »

the last time i made stencils i used sticker paper. i got away with using them twice, but after that they lose their stickiness and start falling apart.

you can also try using acetate, it's kind of like the stuff they used for transparencies in elementary school. it's not sticky, but you can use tape to hold down the edges. i like to use medical tape cause it's strong but pulls off pretty easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somewhere my vocational guidance counselor is laughing hysterically
Nemi

Where'd I put that?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004 05:52:03 AM »

You can purchace a lower-tack contact paper if you're worried about it sticking too much.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

moefen
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004 02:03:57 AM »

Contact/shelf paper is pretty easy to cut, and it isn't really that sticky.  You can buy it in about three levels of stickiness.  I used the mid range sticky to make stencils for temporary tattoos (tribal style).  You can cut the stick factor by a little, if after peeling the backing, press it on your jeans once or twice to add a little lint.

If you have acetate or plastic stencils, you can spray them with a low tack spray glue.  Be warned that you will never get this stuff off the back and they will always stay sticky.  So you will have to hang them up, or wrap them carefully to store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iris
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

hello.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004 03:48:59 PM »

Aha! I have the winner! Aresol spray glue is fantastic for textile stencil stuff because you can just peel it off when you're done with it. At least i think it's called spray gule...spray adhesive? Well here look at he picture of the materials form a toutorial i did....maybe that will help  Grin
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3432.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
backspace
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004 04:33:12 PM »

I haven't tried anything else, but I swear by quilt basting spray. It's by a company called June Taylor. I think my mom got it at Wal-Mart, but they probably have it anywhere that has quilt supplies. The best thing about it is the fact that its washable. You can wash it off your stencil and the shirt, eventually the stickiness will wear off the shirt on its own, but washing it removes any traces left.

-Jenna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeathCabforCody
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004 10:49:32 AM »

Go to Hobby Lobby and buy actual stencil adhesive.  It's aerosol.  It holds your stencil down and doesn't leave any residue at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004 08:59:24 PM »

I use a glue stick. The purple kind. You probably have one lying around and they work just fine, without any residue (that I can tell, anyway).

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Spinach Stuffed Potatoes
Frito Pie from Hill Country BBQ : Pinkies Out
Grilled Rueben Sandwich Recipe
Meet the Bacon Grilled Cheese Cro-Sonut
Deep-Fried Deviled Eggs - Picnic Staple Gets a Delicious Upgrade
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...