A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Big Thread of "Help Me Find a Pattern, Please!"  (Read 50671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twinkiebling
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2009 10:40:01 AM »

I was at a craft fair this weekend and saw some beautiful back packs made out of blue jeans. I can not find a pattern to make these any where and was hoping someone could help.  They were a tear drop shape with two straps that can be zipped into one over the shoulder strap.  I knew I should have bought one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2009 11:10:53 AM »

You're welcome Smiley

Just remember the edge need serging of they will probably fray.  Might want to use a heavier material too.

Serging is done with a serger=a specialty sewing machine.  You can finish your edges of your fabric with a zig-zag stitch (stitch just along the edge of your fabric so your needle pierces the fabric...not going off one side).

I have made several bags like this out of regular quilting-weight fabric.  Holds a ton of groceries...far more than a flimsy plastic bag.  You can use a French seam (http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/french.seam.html#) the bottom seam (unless, of course, the bottom is the fold of the fabric, so no need for a seam!)

Have fun!
Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2009 11:52:42 PM »

plus. you most likely won't be able to find the bird hardware. But you can change the design slightly and make them applique instead of the clasp as you said. Just pick a contrasting color and cut and sew them on! I've never worked with leather- just vinyl. I don't imagine it's the same... but similar no doubt. I always have to put down some tissue paper to get it to feed through my machine. The shiny surface doesn't want to go under the feed dogs. Also, use a leather needle. The tip is shaped differently so as to not make HUGE holes when you sew. It's like an x shape so that it kind of closes up around the thread. (I read that once anyway...)  Def. a larger than usual needle. And think about using an upholstry thread. or doubling up on your thread.

BTW. yeah. cute bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2009 11:25:26 AM »

Do a few practice runs first before using your leather. Practice on some leather scrap similar to what you're using for the final product. It's rough. Thick marine vinyl is worse, though, so I would NOT recommend that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
babyphunk
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2009 02:26:01 AM »

Hi Tiger Eyes

I would recommend McCalls, Butterick, or Vogue patterns.
Although some of them are limited, I have found some good ones and an especially nice one from Vogue.

I keep an eye out on all their websites as you can buy the patterns online and also they have sales when the patterns are half price, or buy 1 get 1 free Smiley

Alternatively you can message me if you want to describe the type of clutch you are after so I can point you in the right direction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2009 11:08:26 AM »

Or you can check the enormous list of tutorials provided in this sub forum, for free, and see if you'd like to try them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
MargeD12
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2009 07:30:50 AM »

http://oldburdastyle.com/patterns/show/261

Go to the above site and immediately log in.  Then look at the farthest picture to the right where it says "print at home" and click on this.  This is only available until Oct 31 and then they should be putting up another one on their new web site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2009 03:27:11 PM »

If you're looking to buy a pattern, keep an eye on the ads at Joann's, Hancock Fabrics, and Hobby Lobby.  Simplicity and McCall's patterns are often $1 and Vogue $5 or less.  I couldn't believe it when I saw a woman pay full price for a pattern the other day.  I guess she didn't know...   Smiley  
A search on here for "clutch tutorial" brought this list and these are free!  
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009 03:29:23 PM by threegirlsandaboy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2009 10:52:00 PM »

Ok im a beginer sewer but I love to try new things. I want to make some simple play style purses my my best freinds kids. whats the simplest purse off the tutorials to start with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2009 11:52:24 PM »

I love the first two bags in this post.  Do you know if there is a pattern for these?

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302783.0

Thanks!
Keri
Have you asked her?...after scrolling through, evidently not.

They look (Maybe) like
 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49030.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=321626.msg3708886#msg3708886 (If you click the link to the AB Birdie Sling, the ones you're asking about sorta look like that as well)
Wandering around the Internet, I came across this one,which also looks similar,l I think...:
http://sewing.about.com/od/bagstotespurseproject/ss/versatilebag.htm

But, if you were to ask her, I'm sure she'd be willing to share which pattern she used...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009 04:40:54 PM by hat-and-bag-lady - Reason: Another Link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sesame Orange Shrimp Recipe
Skirt Steak and Peanut Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Bite: Thai Beef Salad
Vegetable and Tofu Pad Thai Recipe
Asian Bites: Slow-Roast Asian Pork Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...