A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,499
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finger puppet confusion!!!  (Read 825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

strangela

beware of octopus girl

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2005 01:34:12 PM »

I want to make finger puppets of the members of the band My Chemical Romance. I have basic design ideas in my head, but I'm not sure how to go about putting it all together. I want to make them out of craft felt and maybe yarn for the hair. I don't know what would work better, sewing or gluing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiwimum
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005 08:39:15 PM »

Depends how long you want them to last! Gluing is quicker, sewing will last better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carolina
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005 01:11:12 PM »

Hi there
I'd recommend a mixture of sewing and gluing. I would make the bodies of the puppets in felt, sewing together a front and back in blanket stitch. Keep the facial features really simple - use black embriodery thread to make French knots or short downward stiches (like " I ") for eyes; no noses; perhaps a black felt " O " for the singer's mouth and simple straight horizontal stitches "----" for the others. 'Curving' a smile can be tricky; an easy way to make a smile is to do a two-stitch shallow V shape.

To make the hair, I'd use wool in long strands than you think you need. Lay several strands across the puppets head and stitch them down along what would be the centre or side parting. Then, you can trim the hair to the style you want. This is a good time to employ that glue - using it to secure the hair in place.

Beware that glue and felt can be a combination tricky on something as small as a finger puppet - as felt is fiberous (sp?) it tends to pick up the glue where you don't want it to be and its also difficult to get the edges sealed down without getting glue everywhere. Plus, it can soak through and make the felt kinda hard or crusty.

The accessories will be fun - match sticks for the drummer ... ummmm ... guitars for the others!

Finally, I'd suggest making a single one first as your test puppet, to get the shapes, face, and technique right before you start cutting the rest. Good luck and show us the pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafted creatures at carolinelarnach.wordpress.com
strangela

beware of octopus girl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005 07:13:10 PM »

Thanks, this really helped!!! Now, if only I could find time to actually make the little buggers. Curse you, Biology homework! CURSE YOU!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nina Malkin Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Author Jennifer Chiaverini
21 Nights Book Trailer
Nikki Sixx Talks About Heroin Diaries Part 4
Donald Trump Talks About Think Like a Champion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...