A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood, bamboo, metal, plastic? Which is your favorite kind of needle  (Read 5650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

box of purls
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005 10:09:36 AM »

I think I"m sort of like loisgriffinwannabe.  I don't really have a favorite needle type.  Although I do love my one set of Addi Turbos and the my sets of skacels, but I don't get to use them much.  I'll use two different needle types on the same project because that's just what I have.  I have equal amounts of plastic and wood dpns and oh yeah metal, but I think I probably prefer the wood just because they are pretty.  I have a whole set of rosewood needles that I received as present last year, they are from size 8-13 I think, and I use them as much as a I can although the yarn doesn't always want to cooperate. I have a lot of the susan bates ones too I started out on those because they were so much cheaper than the wood ones.  I have a couple of sets of the plastic lion brand dpns that I like although I don't like the plastic straight needles they are a little too bendy for my taste and I think I knit tightly and abuse my needles.  So yeah no favorites I let all the needles get in on the yarn love I pass out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mathgirl
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2005 10:29:26 AM »

For larger needle projects (size five and up) I use my Denise set. I like not having to buy new needles for every project.  I have a few addi turbos and Inox express but they are a too slick for me. I also like Clover bamaboo and if I ever need a new circular for something where Denise isn't working I would buy Clover.

Mostly I knit socks, so I have quite a few sets of small DPNs. I used to swear by Brittany birch but lately I find them too sticky so I switched to Inox Gray and now they are my standard DPNS. I don't like bamboo for small DPNs because they're too pointy, more expensive, and my dog likes to chew on them so I worry about having them around the house.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2005 12:25:05 PM »

Has anyone tried these short circular needles that are to be used instead of dpn's on sock and small projects?

I was just wondering because I was thinking of buying some.

Here is the link, scroll down a bit to see them: http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=bry_51-44&Category_Code=k_n_cir

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2005 12:58:16 PM »

I haven't tried them, but they look neat.  I've never made socks not on dpns....but I've only made one pair of socks....so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athena404
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2005 02:43:40 PM »

Has anyone tried these short circular needles that are to be used instead of dpn's on sock and small projects?

I was just wondering because I was thinking of buying some.

Here is the link, scroll down a bit to see them: http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=bry_51-44&Category_Code=k_n_cir

Emms

oo, ya, they look so cool!
the woman at my lys swears by them and uses them for every sleeve/sock/cuff she can
supposedly theyre quite good for ppl who dislike dpns
i dont really mind using dpns, so i havent tried them yet but they seem really neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2005 03:55:48 PM »

Dpns can be bundlesome but it looks really cool when you are knitting to have like three or four or five needles going every which way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2005 07:37:24 PM »

If you try them, let us know how they are...I'm terrible with DPNS!
I'm not very coordinated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenBeez
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2005 08:53:35 PM »

Ohhhhhh, I LOVE my Addi Turbos! I have two of them. I would buy Addis in every size, if I had unlimited fundage.

I just bought a pair of Clover bamboo straight needles. They're all right, but I don't like them as much as my Addis.

Someone mentioned the Target bamboos upthread- I bought a couple of them too- they're worth less than the $1 I paid for them! I got a set of "5s", and one of the needles was a 5, the other was a 4. And they were rough as hell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whiterabbit

. . .some people juggle geese!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005 04:17:13 AM »

I *love* bamboo needles for everything, although I do occasionally use metal if the yarn I'm working with is hand-dyed or looks like it might bleed. (I dyed the tips of my 5mm's purple working with some cotton yarn I bought for armwarmers)

I tend not to like metal needles, which I started on (the cheapo plastic-coated aluminum ones) because I touch the needles to each other quite often as I knit, and the clicking starts to bug me if I'm going for a while.

Has anybody else here tried casein needles? I really liked those, I bought a pair for a scarf I made and they were great - really supple, and they warm up after you've been using them for a while. Casein is a polymer made from the protein in milk - my LYS stocked them for about a year, but I think the company that makes them has since gone out of business. Too bad, though. They were pretty sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(http://swayinglights.com): things i make, things i like, things i see.
crazycatladymel
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005 05:31:55 AM »

Casein needles are on my wish list, for the sheer fact that they don't show up (I've heard) on x-rays and if I travel during a crack-down time, I want my knitting with me! Also, because how cool to knit with milk (kind of)?

I hated the metal needles for similar reasons, whiterat. Not only the clicking, but just the metal touching metal grated on my nerves. However, I know of one person (friend of a friend) who knits in such a way that when she tried bamboo, she gave herself blisters. So it's good there is a variety!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Imply Motion
How to Understand the Psychological Power of Yellow
How to Get Out of your Comfort Zone
How to Use Selective Focus
How to Use Unconventional Cropping
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...