A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood, bamboo, metal, plastic? Which is your favorite kind of needle  (Read 5652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

box of purls
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005 10:09:36 AM »

I think I"m sort of like loisgriffinwannabe.  I don't really have a favorite needle type.  Although I do love my one set of Addi Turbos and the my sets of skacels, but I don't get to use them much.  I'll use two different needle types on the same project because that's just what I have.  I have equal amounts of plastic and wood dpns and oh yeah metal, but I think I probably prefer the wood just because they are pretty.  I have a whole set of rosewood needles that I received as present last year, they are from size 8-13 I think, and I use them as much as a I can although the yarn doesn't always want to cooperate. I have a lot of the susan bates ones too I started out on those because they were so much cheaper than the wood ones.  I have a couple of sets of the plastic lion brand dpns that I like although I don't like the plastic straight needles they are a little too bendy for my taste and I think I knit tightly and abuse my needles.  So yeah no favorites I let all the needles get in on the yarn love I pass out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mathgirl
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2005 10:29:26 AM »

For larger needle projects (size five and up) I use my Denise set. I like not having to buy new needles for every project.  I have a few addi turbos and Inox express but they are a too slick for me. I also like Clover bamaboo and if I ever need a new circular for something where Denise isn't working I would buy Clover.

Mostly I knit socks, so I have quite a few sets of small DPNs. I used to swear by Brittany birch but lately I find them too sticky so I switched to Inox Gray and now they are my standard DPNS. I don't like bamboo for small DPNs because they're too pointy, more expensive, and my dog likes to chew on them so I worry about having them around the house.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2005 12:25:05 PM »

Has anyone tried these short circular needles that are to be used instead of dpn's on sock and small projects?

I was just wondering because I was thinking of buying some.

Here is the link, scroll down a bit to see them: http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=bry_51-44&Category_Code=k_n_cir

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2005 12:58:16 PM »

I haven't tried them, but they look neat.  I've never made socks not on dpns....but I've only made one pair of socks....so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athena404
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2005 02:43:40 PM »

Has anyone tried these short circular needles that are to be used instead of dpn's on sock and small projects?

I was just wondering because I was thinking of buying some.

Here is the link, scroll down a bit to see them: http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=bry_51-44&Category_Code=k_n_cir

Emms

oo, ya, they look so cool!
the woman at my lys swears by them and uses them for every sleeve/sock/cuff she can
supposedly theyre quite good for ppl who dislike dpns
i dont really mind using dpns, so i havent tried them yet but they seem really neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2005 03:55:48 PM »

Dpns can be bundlesome but it looks really cool when you are knitting to have like three or four or five needles going every which way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2005 07:37:24 PM »

If you try them, let us know how they are...I'm terrible with DPNS!
I'm not very coordinated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenBeez
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2005 08:53:35 PM »

Ohhhhhh, I LOVE my Addi Turbos! I have two of them. I would buy Addis in every size, if I had unlimited fundage.

I just bought a pair of Clover bamboo straight needles. They're all right, but I don't like them as much as my Addis.

Someone mentioned the Target bamboos upthread- I bought a couple of them too- they're worth less than the $1 I paid for them! I got a set of "5s", and one of the needles was a 5, the other was a 4. And they were rough as hell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whiterabbit

. . .some people juggle geese!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005 04:17:13 AM »

I *love* bamboo needles for everything, although I do occasionally use metal if the yarn I'm working with is hand-dyed or looks like it might bleed. (I dyed the tips of my 5mm's purple working with some cotton yarn I bought for armwarmers)

I tend not to like metal needles, which I started on (the cheapo plastic-coated aluminum ones) because I touch the needles to each other quite often as I knit, and the clicking starts to bug me if I'm going for a while.

Has anybody else here tried casein needles? I really liked those, I bought a pair for a scarf I made and they were great - really supple, and they warm up after you've been using them for a while. Casein is a polymer made from the protein in milk - my LYS stocked them for about a year, but I think the company that makes them has since gone out of business. Too bad, though. They were pretty sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(http://swayinglights.com): things i make, things i like, things i see.
crazycatladymel
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005 05:31:55 AM »

Casein needles are on my wish list, for the sheer fact that they don't show up (I've heard) on x-rays and if I travel during a crack-down time, I want my knitting with me! Also, because how cool to knit with milk (kind of)?

I hated the metal needles for similar reasons, whiterat. Not only the clicking, but just the metal touching metal grated on my nerves. However, I know of one person (friend of a friend) who knits in such a way that when she tried bamboo, she gave herself blisters. So it's good there is a variety!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Colour Temperature Is
Watch This Instead #63 - Hot Tub Time Machine
The Film Lab: Lighting Ratios
Top Slow-motion videos
How to Use Light Meters
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...