A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood, bamboo, metal, plastic? Which is your favorite kind of needle  (Read 5563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005 11:35:13 PM »

Ya know, maybe I am weird, because I was reading all these posts, and I definitely don't have a fave needle. I love so many for diff  reasons:

Addi's: Wow, so perfect for acrylic, but I hate them for more expensive or slick yarns, because my stitches will just slide away. Also not good for knitting at 2am when my hands are clumsier. And way too expensive at 20$CDN and up.

Bryspun Flexible needles... these are the ones that you were mispelling I think, Shirley Ujest, and they are great because they are super flexible, resonable prices, and warm to touch.

Susan Bates Crystalites™: They are light, easy to use, and I love the fun colors. they are perfect for smaller projects due to the length, and are cheap too... maybe these are my faves?

Aero Circulars: I love these because they stay cool, and I am usually warm, like Chelsea, so I understand what she means. They make a great sound when I am knitting, and my sts don't fly off if I am not supervigilant...may be these are my faves.... oh geeze...  Roll Eyes

I hate bamboo usually, because of the snag, but I tried Crystal Palace Bamboo circs needles, and they were amazingly smooth and beautiful, but the join was bad and kept snagging my yarn. Also they were like 30$CDN each...yikes.

Anyhow, maybe I am just very loving towards needles... to me their variety is like good friends, all who you love for their own personality flaws and assests, and need to meet up with them again and again, to have a natter and remember why you like them so much.

Wow, I think I love knitting just a tad too much, eh?

emms  Tongue

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005 12:15:19 PM by loisgriffinwannabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2005 07:33:08 AM »

Wow, I was just reading loisgriffinwannabe's, and I'm shocked about needle prices!  $20-30?  And they're not even good quality?
My needles are a few cents for four of them  Grin  Of course, dowel rods don't come in all the right needle sizes, but I have a good set of some 7's and some 2's from them, and really, I can't fathom paying any more than a few dollars for some knitting needles.  Maybe it's because I'm not a yarn snob at all, making me even less of a needle snob.  Who knows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Cocoa Kitten
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2005 07:39:59 AM »

I tend to knit really tight, so I prefer metal needles, actually.  They have a good weight and just feel much sturdier - not much else can handle the abuse and strain my knitting puts them through.  ....Which is not necissarily a good thing, though, in terms of my finished products.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitcake
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2005 10:29:30 AM »

I have been knitting with skacel addi turbo circular's for years now and I love them. Usually just work back and forth on them and not in the round, easier for travel knitting. I like how they feel smooth , the tips are not too pointy , and the knitting process feels more fluid and smooth. Sometimes I use my mom's old aluminum straights , mostly if I'm working at home. Bamboo, hmmmm, I think I liked them when I was a new knitter , easier to control your stitches, occasionally I try using them again and I just don't like the feel of them anymore.
  Just started knitting socks, am now addicted, and so far I prefer Susan Bates aluminum double pointed needles, definitely going to try addi turbo double pointers in the near future.

I do have a question. I'm working on a top down cardigan using Rowan Big Wool on #17 Susan Bates plastic circulars. Hate working on these needles , hard to move the stitches along on the purl side. Don't like the look of the large size addi turbo circs. , where the needle and circular part meet. Any recommendations?
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005 12:10:45 PM »

Wow, I was just reading loisgriffinwannabe's, and I'm shocked about needle prices!  $20-30?  And they're not even good quality?
My needles are a few cents for four of them  Grin  Of course, dowel rods don't come in all the right needle sizes, but I have a good set of some 7's and some 2's from them, and really, I can't fathom paying any more than a few dollars for some knitting needles.  Maybe it's because I'm not a yarn snob at all, making me even less of a needle snob.  Who knows?

lemonadelemonade, I am not a needle snob, and I really resent the implication. I bought those Crystal Palace needles as a present to myself. I have had two serious strokes, and I took up knitting as part of my physical therapy. When I was learning I heard that bamboo were probably going to be better for me because I wasn't very dexterious, and also my hands were always cold, because of the poor circulation caused by the stroke. (they aren't cold all the time anymore, they have recovered their warmth)

So when I recovered (mightily) I bought those as a gift for myself from my LYS. But then they didn't work well, because of the join, so I returned them, and bought Susan Bates Crystalites,about 4 prs,and some yarn for the same price as the needles. But I usually buy circulars and work straight on them because I like to have the weight of the project in my lap, because my hands are still weak. And I usually buy Aero's because they are about 6$ for a pr of circs. Also I am stating Canadian prices. I don't have the deterity to make my own needles, or the time or energy, or the tools! I admire you for making your own, but not all of us can do that....for various reasons.

I do have a question. I'm working on a top down cardigan using Rowan Big Wool on #17 Susan Bates plastic circulars. Hate working on these needles , hard to move the stitches along on the purl side. Don't like the look of the large size addi turbo circs. , where the needle and circular part meet. Any recommendations?
 Smiley

knitcake, I would try Aero's, if you can find them, or Boye circs... happy hunting! Oh and I read your blog, Mara, and its hilarious, and I love that we use the same template  Roll Eyes

emms  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemonadelemonade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005 05:58:42 PM »

lemonadelemonade, I am not a needle snob, and I really resent the implication.

I'm very sorry, but please know that I did not intend the word "snob" as an insult.  I suppose I always use the word so loosely because I myself am a very cheap knitter, therefore I consider spending more than a few dollars on supplies "snobby", though I am aware that it's not snobby in the usual sense of the word.  I now regret calling it snobby without considering what it implies to everyone else who reads it.  Sometimes I forget who my audience is.
Ugh.  Now I feel like a horrible person.
Anyway, I apologize sincerely for my careless choice in wording.  Really I was just surprised about the prices because I'm rather ignorant about high quality supplies.  The fact that you were stating Canadian prices, though, does make it a little less shocking.

I'd like to congradulate you on recovering from your strokes.  That's very admirable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005 10:37:37 PM »

I love Addi Turbos and Inox Express. I usually use either or. When I need needles quickly and cannot get those, I will get bamboos. I generally always buy circs because you can do everything on them Smiley I am definitely far from a yarn snob Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005 01:08:10 AM »

I'm very sorry, but please know that I did not intend the word "snob" as an insult.  I suppose I always use the word so loosely because I myself am a very cheap knitter, therefore I consider spending more than a few dollars on supplies "snobby", though I am aware that it's not snobby in the usual sense of the word.  I now regret calling it snobby without considering what it implies to everyone else who reads it.  Sometimes I forget who my audience is.
Ugh.  Now I feel like a horrible person.
Anyway, I apologize sincerely for my careless choice in wording.  Really I was just surprised about the prices because I'm rather ignorant about high quality supplies.  The fact that you were stating Canadian prices, though, does make it a little less shocking.

I'd like to congradulate you on recovering from your strokes.  That's very admirable.

Sorry I was too quick to get huffy... I apologize too! Don't feel like a horrible person. I am way to sensitive, and I am so sorry. Let   Kiss and make up lol...

emms, sincerely...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005 09:22:09 AM »

I do enjoy my bamboo ones greatly, but I've noticed some of the slide is gone on a pair ( after only one scarf) should bamboo's be oiled and if so, with what?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonadelemonade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005 09:44:43 AM »

Sorry I was too quick to get huffy... I apologize too! Don't feel like a horrible person. I am way to sensitive, and I am so sorry. Let   Kiss and make up lol...

emms, sincerely...

Okay Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stylish Clothes for Moms - Tsu.Ya by Kristi Yamaguchi Review
Vintage Look: Dolly Python Talks Vintage Fashion
Katy Perry Roars Into Fall With Leather
Luli Fama Spring/Summer 2014 - Swimwear - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Biggest Fall Fashion Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...