A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood, bamboo, metal, plastic? Which is your favorite kind of needle  (Read 5502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charity
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2005 11:15:10 AM »

I have (almost exclusively) Lantern Moon knitting needles.  (The only circular knitting needles I have are the Addi Turbos)

They are horrendeously expensive.  I can't really justify the price to myself either.  I just have this picture in my head of me knitting and when I see it, I'm using those needles and sitting in a rocking chair in front of a fireplace. 

I don't have the rocking chair or a fireplace, but g**dammit, I do have those Lantern Moon knitting needles.

I guess I'm trying to have a complete collection.  Any time I need a new needle size, I just buy that size of Lantern Moon needles.  I'm single, childless, with a pretty good job so I can afford it.

I guess I'm a needle (and yarn) snob.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2005 03:09:24 PM »

I love my denise interchangeable set. They have the nicest connectors and are really nice plastic
I LOVE THEM! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2005 03:26:03 PM »

They are horrendeously expensive.  I can't really justify the price to myself either.  I just have this picture in my head of me knitting and when I see it, I'm using those needles and sitting in a rocking chair in front of a fireplace. 

I don't have the rocking chair or a fireplace, but g**dammit, I do have those Lantern Moon knitting needles.

I have the exact same vision--only add in a mug of cocoa! I don't have a rocking chair or fireplace, either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charity
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2005 04:15:46 PM »

Ooh!  Hot cocoa! 

/modifies knitting vision...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2005 08:18:15 PM »

I have (almost exclusively) Lantern Moon knitting needles.  (The only circular knitting needles I have are the Addi Turbos)

I guess I'm trying to have a complete collection.  Any time I need a new needle size, I just buy that size of Lantern Moon needles.  I'm single, childless, with a pretty good job so I can afford it.

I guess I'm a needle (and yarn) snob.  Smiley

Don't apologize for having the means to afford the good stuff! The way I see it, we're allowed to call ourselves snobs, but not other people. Applying the label to someone else seems like a put-down, but applying it to yourself is fine. Just like you can make fun of your brother, but no one else can.  Tongue

I'm a yarn snob all the way, and a bit of a needle snob too. If I could afford it, I'd have all Lantern Moons, plus whatever circs* (probably Denise's and/or Addis). I have 1 pair LMs. They were a gift, and I'm always trying to figure out if I can make the next project on size 10.5s, so I can use the best needles! I won't use anything from Crystal Palace, needles or yarn (long story), and prefer to work with the best stuff I can afford. I can't afford the high end stuff, unless I luck out and get it on sale (that means that it's discontinued, but I don't generally mind that), so it's not so much about brand. Does it feel good in my hands? Or do I hate the thought of picking up the project? I'm working on one like the latter now. Ack yarn, but the ONLY one available in the colorway requested. But otherwise, I'd never use it again.

*I heard that Southwest Trading Co. is coming out with some good circs at good prices. Will be watching for those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faint___HEART
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2005 08:22:59 PM »

I still use my good old plastic ones I got from Micheals. They're in the colors of the rainbow. And they fit my amazingly small hands very well. Every other needle I've found *besides my interchangable bamboo ones* never fit my hands right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2005 11:22:02 PM »

I still use my good old plastic ones I got from Micheals. They're in the colors of the rainbow. And they fit my amazingly small hands very well. Every other needle I've found *besides my interchangable bamboo ones* never fit my hands right.

I just wanted to say that your avatar is from one of my favorite movies!! Grin I loved the Notebook! And that is the start of one of the hottest love scenes ever  Wink

emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charity
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2005 01:54:41 AM »

Don't apologize for having the means to afford the good stuff! The way I see it, we're allowed to call ourselves snobs, but not other people. Applying the label to someone else seems like a put-down, but applying it to yourself is fine. Just like you can make fun of your brother, but no one else can.  Tongue

I didn't think I was putting myself down.  I don't think being snobby about yarn or needles or anything inanimate is really a bad thing at all, just a preference.  It's only a bad thing in my book if you are snob with people.  But, thanks for the thought. Smiley

I did a count of my knitting needles.  I have:

Lantern Moon, size 8, 9, 11, 17 (US)
Addi Turbo circulars, size 10 - 16", 9 - 40"
Skacel bamboo circulars, size 6 (they suck, but it might be because I am not good with small needles and yarn)

A fairly small collection but for all the things I've been knitting, size 8 seems to be the most common size.  I only bought the size 17 needles for one project.  I don't know when I'll get to use that again.  Maybe if I make a blanket (or throw) using modular knitting techniques.  (Otherwise, I'd need circulars.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2005 06:55:05 AM »

I also have 17s that I used once (not LMs, but locally hand-made). My inventory is a little scarier:

straights:
2 - 8, 10, 11-15: Clover (including 2.5 pair of 8s)
9: Trendsetter (only pair the store had. nice, though) (+ a single 9 from Clover)
10.5: Lantern Moon (swoon... need to find out where my SIL got them - she left part of the price tag on them and paid about $2 less than the average price I've seen)
11: Brittany (2d in line behind the LM)
17: Handmade, locally (I think)

DPNs:
Most of the same sizes, up to 13s. Mixture of Clover & Brittany. Much prefer the Brittany. And at my favorite LYS, they're cheaper than the Clovers!

Circs:
All Clover, except a 10.5 long (30"?) in Addi, which was a dream to work with. Most are short, because I mostly make hats. I need some fat ones, 15 or 19. When $ allows, I want a set of Denise Interchangeables, and will probably get some Addis in the future.

Have you seen the 8" circs from Clover? I want them all!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuttibreak
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2005 01:28:51 PM »

Any opinions on Denise Interchangeables vs. Addi Turbos?

I haven't tried either. I have clover circulars that I like alright, but everyone is always raving about these two brands. I'm tempted to try them, but I'm not sure which to buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pixel Light Painting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
In choosing a Digital Camera do Megapixels matter?
Photography and the Green Screen
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...