A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood, bamboo, metal, plastic? Which is your favorite kind of needle  (Read 5820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sillydickens
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005 06:51:36 AM »

I too hate the click-click-cliking of metal needles!! I adore my Brittany wood needles--my mom only uses wood needles too so maybe it's a family thing. In one of her more spiritual/new-agey moods she told me that wood was my element. I guess that's true--I love making things with wood and will only knit with wood (or bamboo for smaller sizes) needles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The priviledge of a lifetime is being who you are."--Joseph Campbell
jacktastic
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2005 06:59:54 AM »

Clover bamboo all the way.  I have used plastic and aluminum but the plastic I found to be truly terrible.  Metal is nice when working with acrylic but the noise - - eesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2005 03:44:24 PM »

I too hate the click-click-cliking of metal needles!! I adore my Brittany wood needles--my mom only uses wood needles too so maybe it's a family thing. In one of her more spiritual/new-agey moods she told me that wood was my element. I guess that's true--I love making things with wood and will only knit with wood (or bamboo for smaller sizes) needles!

thats actually so funny you say that because im the total opposite
i love the clikety-clack noise of knitting needles, its almost soothing
i grew up around tons of knitters: my mom, my grandmother, my aunts
so i really love all the "knitting" sounds
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005 07:50:36 PM »

You know what's weird?  I use metal needles all the time and I've almost never heard them click.  maybe I'm missing it.  My sister did say something last weekend about the dog being afraid of my clicking but I thought she meant my clicky counter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005 08:27:44 PM »

thats actually so funny you say that because im the total opposite
i love the clikety-clack noise of knitting needles, its almost soothing
i grew up around tons of knitters: my mom, my grandmother, my aunts
so i really love all the "knitting" sounds

I agree...I love the clicking! I love the tapping of the bamboo needles, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005 09:08:28 PM »

I love the clicking too! It makes me feel busier!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2005 07:18:34 PM »

I just bought my first pair of bamboo needles this week.. dpns at that... and I love them! I bought the Boye interchangable set a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not loving it.. I'm considering returning them.. but I like the fact that I have needles in every size now.. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to start a project but having to buy needles AND yarn isn't affordable for me.

I'd love to just have a full set of bamboo DPN's, straights, and circulars in every size and length! Don't see that happening any time soon though!

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2005 09:55:52 PM »

Has anybody else here tried casein needles? I really liked those, I bought a pair for a scarf I made and they were great - really supple, and they warm up after you've been using them for a while. Casein is a polymer made from the protein in milk - my LYS stocked them for about a year, but I think the company that makes them has since gone out of business. Too bad, though. They were pretty sweet.

You can get some casein needles here at elann.com... they also have dpn's in casein.

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2005 07:10:34 AM »

My #1 choice is the Addi Turbo needles.  They are a bit expensive but they are a dream when you are knitting. 

My #2 choice is bamboo.  They feel nice when you're knitting; the yarn just flows neatly from the needles. 

You know whichI would love to get, the Lantern Moon needles.  They are up there in price like the Addi Turbo

Rosecomet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2005 07:15:13 AM »

For crocheting I prefer metal, but knitting I usually end up with plastic or metal. Since I have constant aches in my muscles, straight knitting needles weigh too much so I usually use the round kind with plastic between the needles (don't have the slightest idea of what they're called in enlgish). It works better and the weight doesn't strain on my arms and shoulders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Artificial Light in Nighttime Photography
Indoors Light Painting
Giving Al Sharpton a Makeover
How to Use an Infrared Filter
Shooting For Black and White
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...