A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood, bamboo, metal, plastic? Which is your favorite kind of needle  (Read 6667 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2005 06:44:39 AM »

I prefer bamboo, as of right now.

But I needed a size 8 needle and my LYS only had it in Baylene Flexible Neeldes ( I'm spelling their company name wrong, but they are from NZ) and...I think I could easily buy up some of their stash as well.

I have a couple of circulars in bamboo and metal (susan bates, I think) and I am not happy with either because of the snagging between cable and needle.  any thoughts on the Addi Turbo's or other brands out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhodora
i like giants

eyes like omens i've been told and

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005 06:53:47 AM »

bamboo are my favorite by far.  i'd say it depends on the type of yarn quite a bit as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rhodora Handcrafted by Sarah Jones - rhodora.etsy.com
ComputerKids.org! - HTML help, tutorials, advertising, and ideas for your site!
Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005 06:54:03 AM »

Personally I love birch wood and bamboo sticks, for the bamboo I buy clover, which work well and for the birch, I cant remember the name off hand. I look for packaging. Ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"underwater, I wrote drowning"
rhodora
i like giants

eyes like omens i've been told and

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005 06:55:40 AM »

as for circulars, i know that many people like denise interchangeable needles.  http://www.knitdenise.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rhodora Handcrafted by Sarah Jones - rhodora.etsy.com
ComputerKids.org! - HTML help, tutorials, advertising, and ideas for your site!
BlondieKate

^^^I wish!!^^^

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005 06:57:07 AM »

I love my bamboo needles, so far.  But I'm currently working on a scarf on plastic 19's.  I hate them, but I've had a hard time finding large needles in wood/bamboo that weren't 5 inches long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005 08:44:32 AM »

Bamboo is nice, but I really refer hardwood needles I make myself Smiley I can make 'em as long as I like, and it's easier to find the larger sizes (though it's tough to find the smaller ones). I oil mine up with essentail oil blends, currenly orange vanilla is most common, and the hardwood is able to soak it up better, and feels more buttery to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005 08:48:42 AM »

I love my Denise needles so much! I knit so much more often, and produce so much more now that I have them. I was working with clover bamboo circular, but they have a not so sharp tip, and a poor transition from needle to cord.  I have tried addi turbos, too, and they are very awesome! I'd get some if I didn't already have the denise set.  I enjoy working with hardwood needles quite a bit, they seem to hold their tip better than bamboo. It all depends on the yarn, though. I also like Lantern Moon ebony and rosewood needles...they are gorgeous...and WAY too expensive.  I only like them (and adddi turbos) marginally better than my denises, so I am very happy with them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
crazycatladymel
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005 09:37:00 AM »

Hardwoods (Britteny or Lantern Moon) first, then bamboo (Clover, for me). The only aluminum I ever worked with and liked is a pair of Addi Turbo's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005 10:20:57 AM »

I like aluminum the best.  But then my only experience with bamboo are one pair of needles I bought from Target's $1 section.  I learned on aluminum, and when I tried the bamboo I can't imagine me NOT snapping them!  Whether it's while I'm knitting or when I leave them lying around like I always do Wink

I didn't like the Boye metal needles though, except the small ones.  The bigger one's tip was awkward and not very pointy.  I started knitting using my mom's needles from a LONG time ago and they are Susan Bates. So that's what I've been buying. 

I like the coldness.  I don't like when things get warmed up, like when the cat sits on the couch and warms up my seat, it's icky.  I spend half the night flipping over my pillow to get the cool side, and also moving around the bed (as much as I can) to get the cool spot on the sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005 10:30:04 AM »

I love my Clovers! It may just be because I started with bamboo. They are just flexible enough, but also not too slick. Unless I'm knitting with something hairy, then I like metal because it slides off so much more easily.
I've tried hardwood, but they just didn't feel right to me. Maybe I just tried the wrong kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Diner Meat Loaf Muffins
How to Make Hot Dogs With a Cornbread Bun and Tomatillo Relish
How To Make Cheddar Cheese Grits Casserole
Spam Bites; The Texture of Jerky Meets the Flavor of Spam
KFC Customer Claims He Was Served Deep-Fried Rat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...