A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: alternatives to yarn???  (Read 11490 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VaxGirl
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2004 08:07:33 AM »

Someone on the Knitty message board was experimenthing with strips cut from a t-shirt.  She cut the shirt in a spiral, think of peeling an apple in one long strip.  Then she stretched the strip to curl the edges.  The knitted swatch looked really impressive.  It looked like one of those expensive ribbon yarns and I bet it was really soft!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darcidoodle

Don't let your karma hit your dogma!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004 03:57:56 PM »

I've seen some really cool pillowcovers made out of felt that was cut into long strips and painted with metallic fabric paint. The front of the pillow was knitted and the back was a solid piece of felt. It was very, very cool. (and cheap!)
I've got a pile of fleece I'm goint to knit into a blanket...or a sweater...it's just got to cool down a bit first. Summer's not the best time to knit with fleece or plastic bags...sweaty legs...agh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2004 10:09:40 PM »

Hey I also knit with plastic bags, but i cut each bag into one continuous piece.(its alot easier than it sounds)
Theres a website online that explains how if anyone is interested. grrr I cant find it, but Ill look more later and post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
ysolda
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004 06:35:22 AM »

ive been experimenting with strips of fabric, htere is a way of cuttinga  cutinous strip from a lengh of fabric that goes back and forth basically. I'm planning on making a top knitted from old black lace, knitted in a lace pattern on big needles with sorta holes with inserts of maybe the flowers cut form teh original lace, ooh and butterflies printed in black ink on acetate and cut out, with hole punched in and threaded onto my 'yarn' - will post pics when its done - and a diagram if you want it of how i've been cutting the strips
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
darcidoodle

Don't let your karma hit your dogma!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004 08:11:27 AM »

Please post those pix. I'm very, very interested. Sounds like it could be intensely groovie.
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ctgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004 08:39:09 AM »

ysolda-I'd love to see a diagram of how you are cutting 1 continous strip from fabric.  I have some old "jersey" sheets I have been wanting to do something with.  Can't wait to see a picture of your lace top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004 11:37:01 AM »

I"ve seen the kits for making purses out of old grocery bags, but I'd rather just use a pattern I already have and save the money.  Anyone know of some stores that have different colored plastic bags?  All I have at home are white bags and I'd like to make something in a different color.

Walmart uses blue bags, safeway uses tan bags, and food-4-less uses bright yellow bags Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
ysolda
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2004 01:35:42 AM »

here is a diagram of how I'm cutting yarn form fabric, or anything else flat. It makes a long cotinous strip which you can wind into a ball as you go, if the strip is 1cm wide and the fabric is 1m square that's 100metres of yarn. A few metres of fabric should give yu enough to knit a smallish garment.
try this out on a piece of paper, cut a slit near one edge, cutting until just before the edge. then start at this side and cut a slit across above the first one, again stop cutting just before the edge. if you keep doing this all the way along you will have a long strip of paper joined by little squarish bits. These little squares do show up when you knit with fabric cut like this, but they're not very noticeable and tend to add to the look and texture, they're a lot better than knotting or sewing lots of short strips together anyway. I hope that helps, its actually a really simple technique but it's not too easy to explain.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012 02:24:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
emling
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2004 08:07:26 AM »

I used the method suggested by the poster on Knitty---I took one of my husband's seamless t-shirts, cut about a 3/4" strip in a spiral starting from the bottom, then knit it up using 10.5 (U.S.) needles.  Here's what it looks like:

It's too stiff and bulky at this gauge to be of any use for clothing, but it'd make an excellent potholder, or the bottom of a tote bag. I want to make a bathroom rug with more squares of this type . . . now I just have to get my husband to say goodbye to a few more ratty t-shirts.

BTW--at this gague, one mitred square about 5" x 5" = most of one men's large t-shirt, up to the armpits.  Another thing--if you give the strips a firm tug, like the Knitty poster suggests, they curl so the raw ends are on the inside.  The end result is remarkably smooth looking--hardly a raw end in sight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olga
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2004 09:22:14 AM »

This book has the plastic bag pattern and others in it, Check it out at your local library, I did.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584793619/qid=1091549859/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-9328130-5266506?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Liquify Tool in Photoshop
Photoshop Makeup
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 1
Easy Photo Frames and Borders in Photoshop
How to Use the Soft Light Layer Mode
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...