A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
878 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silver charm bracelets  (Read 601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

professoruuc
« on: November 10, 2005 04:16:56 PM »

I can't imagine that this HASN'T been posted somewhere before, but I just can't find the answer to my question.
Where should I buy silver charm bracelets that I can add to? I've seen them at jewelry stores and stuff, but they're pretty expensive for one bracelet. Can I buy them wholesale? Where do you gals shop?
Also, I have the same question about earrling chains (the thin link chains to put on the earring hook that can be added to with jump rings). Where do you get those?
I'm looking for cheap options, as always!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005 06:37:38 PM »

you can buy the chain at bead shops or online, and make it into a bracelet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
tinkertoy
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005 08:43:48 AM »

For little chains for earrings, I just buy bulk lenghts and cut them up.  I actually get a lot of my jewelery supplies off of e-bay.  It has been a LOT cheaper than the bead stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005 07:22:58 PM »

Hi professoruuc -- If you have no prblem with online ordering, you might take a look at some of the larger jewelrymaking & beading supply sources such as firemountaingems.co m or shipwreckbeads.com
With most of the larger websites you can also phone in an order if you prefer. If you prefer print catalogs, I know for sure FMG has them (still free I think), and I 'believe' Shipwreck does too.

Re Fire Mountain Gems in particular : for bulk purchases &/or fairly large purchases of assortable items [FMG's "assortability" feature is explained in its catalogs & also at the website], you can often get reeeallly close to true wholesale prices without needing to 'be' in business; anyone can shop there.
For just one thing or a small amount of something, though, you'd probably do just as well at a local bead shop.
But then again, true-wholesale places do require tax ID number or business license or whatever, and they usually have a minimum purchase of at least $100 (some considerably higher).

Ebay's not a bad idea, although after having been around it since it began, eventually I got really bored with the auction thing, so I found the Buy-It-Now and 'storefront' features a genuine relief.  Usually, fairly-high-volume ebay sellers' prices are at least a little lower than those in brick & mortar bead&jewelrymaking shops, even taking into account the shipping charges; and I'd say the quality's better than what one generally finds at chain-type crafts stores or in discount store crafts sections & such.

I live in The Rural Wilds quite a drive away from the socalled-'nearest' bead shops/crafts stores/etc, so I don't find shipping charges for catalog or online shopping exorbitant. And maybe because I'm an -ahem!- "older person" the convenience alone is worth it.  But for just one of something or only a small amount, you (and even I) might consider shipping rather high.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005 04:22:28 AM »

If you're looking for cheap chain to make earrings try yardsales and flea markets.  A lot of the time you can find good quality chain with a few kinks or knots really cheap so you can cut them up and make pretty stuff.  You can buy bulk chain at craft/bead stores and hang charms off it.  I also get chain at the hardware store and make charm bracelets out of it.  Here's a pic of what the hardware store chain looks like in a bracelet.  Hope this helps.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=55790.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emmy Submission: The Future Of Us
Top Collectors Suffer Art-Fair Fatigue
Man Protests Museum By Destroying $1 Million Vase
5 Things You Never Knew About Scrabble
Performa 13 Shingerview: RoseLee Goldberg
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...