A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Bather- easy to make, great gift- Now with How-To!! (scroll down)  (Read 9911 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jutybo
« on: November 10, 2005 01:42:05 PM »

I haven't seen anything like this on the boards so far, but I'm new and might have (probably) missed something...  I started making these as baby shower gifts after coming up with the design for my little guy (we have NO counter space and thus nowhere to put a towel when we bathed him in the sink).  My son's big enough for the tub now, and this is still a great help.  You can fold the bottom up and around the baby after you pull him/her out of the water, too!  I of course got all excited about maybe selling the thing, then saw something similar in a baby magazine a few months later... you know how that goes...  turns out the idea's not as original as I thought!!  Hope you enjoy- I'm glad to give instructions if anyone wants them. 

Yes, this was actually a TRIPLE baby shower...  no way could I afford three different gifts.  The bather-thingy's pretty much just a towel with a head-hole in it and some hem tape (sewn shut) for the apron strings.  The pockets in the front are made out of washcloths, and then stuffed with more little washcloths (since I bought them in a discount pack, there were plenty extras).  Thanks for looking!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005 07:47:14 AM by jutybo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chattyKathi
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005 03:14:54 PM »

How Clever! so are they to keep mommy dry during the bath or to dry off baby after the bath lol. My mom one time made a beach coat for my niece out of a bath towel, it so cool I have it now for my daughter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Julieko

Our newest member of the family..Jillibean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005 06:03:46 AM »

This is a very nice and handy idea!
Even though it's already been made, you could still make them and sell them on a web site or on Ebay.
You just probably need to make up a new name for them and have them be a little different then the ones you've seen.
Isn't it amazing how people can come up with the same ideas without ever meeting?

I for one would like more information on how to make one. Smiley
Thanks a bunch!
Julieko
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.blueberrymama.etsy.com
Adorable baby and nursing mama stuff at a great price!
jutybo
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005 07:39:47 AM »

Thanks for the comments chattyKathi and Julieko! 
To chattyKathi:  I wonder if your Mom's beach coat is at all similar to a bathrobe I made for my son from a towel (from an old pattern I saw somewhere online... I would LOVE to give credit but can't remember the site!!):

To Julieko:
I'll post pics the next time my little guy takes a *decent* nap and I figure out how to do a tutorial, but here's the basic outline of how to make a bather:  You could probably do this by hand, just make sure you have a good thimble or something...
Supplies:
One good size bath towel (can be as long as you are, but not much longer or you'll trip)
One small washcloth (or half of one large washcloth)
One package of Extra-Wide Double Fold hem tape* to match/contrast with the towel
Thread
Scissors
Something to mark the towel with (doesn't have to be a fabric marker; it will eventually be covered completely- I use a sharpie)

*One note about the hem tape:  I only use this because I'm lazy and don't take the time to use good-looking fabric, so if you actually know how to sew binding-type stuff on, you could use fabric scraps instead.

Step 1:  Making the head hole
If your towel has a border on the short ends, make sure your head hole doesn't go into it.  If you want a V-necked bather, you can just draw the shape right onto the towel and then cut it out.  For a circular-shape (what I find is the easiest to do), lay the towel out flat, then fold the top flap (short edge) down so that there is about 5 inches or so between the fold and the start of the border (if no border, give at least 10 inches between fold and towel edge).  Then pick up the towel by the fold, and fold the LONG edges together (with the first flap on the outside).  Now you can cut an arc around the point (about 3 or 4 inches away).  Unfold and you should have a circular head hole!  This is messy, BTW, so I would keep a lint roller or some tape handy to pick up the little towel-bits...

Step 2:  Putting hem tape on the head hole
I'm not sure how to describe this very well, but I don't measure out the hem tape or anything.  I just start with the tape right out of the package (and stuff the rest of the package in my shirt to keep it out of the way) and apply it to the head hole, starting where the hole is closest to what will be the back of the bather.  Go all the way around the head hole and overlap the hem tape a little (trim off excess hem tape).  Keep the rest of the hem tape handy for your apron strings.

Step 3:  Putting on the apron strings
Cut the remaining hem tape into one long piece the same length as the long side of your towel.  Then cut that piece in half.  At this point I put the bather on and figure out where I want my strings to go, but if you have your hair done up and don't want to risk it, just attach them at about the halfway point on each side- using a pen to mark where that is.  I like to put my strings a little higher than the midpoint because then I can wrap more of the towel around the baby while holding him.  I also like to sew the hem tape shut, but I've made them both ways (open and shut) and who really looks at the strings anyways??  Voila!  Now you're done unless you want to add a pocket.

Step 4:  Adding a pocket if you want one (or ten)
Use an entire small washcloth or a large washcloth cut in half or whatever shape you want- just be sure to finish the cut edge with some hem tape.  Yes, I'm obsessed with the stuff.   Roll Eyes  Then figure out where you want the pocket and sew it on.  For mine, I place the pocket so that the top edge is just about (or a littler higher than) where the apron strings are attached.  This way the pocket doesn't sag open when the bather's on.   

If you want your bather to be reversible, I would suggest leaving the pocket off entirely (otherwise you might feel weird wearing a towel "inside-out"). 
Please let me know if this makes sense!!!!  Especially if there's a specific part you would like pics of!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005 08:08:26 AM »

What a clever idea!  I have never seen anything like it, so it's certainly original to me.  Maybe I'll give it a try Smiley  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chattyKathi
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005 06:38:57 PM »

oh thats cute too, I should take a pic of the beach coat I know right where it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 01:49:14 AM »

Oh my gosh!  I had this idea, too!  About two years ago, when my middle child was little and I was bathing her by myself.  I thought about how cool it would be to have a towel that tied onto me, that I could just untie and wrap around baby when she gets out of the tub.  It's one of those things that I always meant to make, but never found time for.  I guess great minds think alike, eh?  Good job, though - yours look very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
RandomCrafter

I like to Move It, Move It.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005 08:53:12 PM »

I have older "babies" who think splashing mom is AWESOME so I'm considering making one for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jutybo
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005 09:06:26 AM »

Thanks for the wonderful comments!!  If you're thinking of making one yourself, please be encouraged- this thing doesn't take long to make AT ALL- plus, you can use an old towel that you already have.  Post some pics!  I'd love to see how different the bathers (or mommy-protectors...) can look.
To recycled_earth: That's so cool.  Your thoughts and mine were exactly the same!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010 01:21:28 AM »

Jutybo, you simply are a genius!  Thank you so much for posting this.  I had been looking for something like this for my GS but didn't like what I saw til I saw this.  Thank you!  I did do them slightly differently.  Since I've never done the bias tape thing and haven't done it well I decided to just fold over the cut parts and sew them in.  I also slit the neck hole then put Velcro on both short sides.  I find that it's easier to take off this way.  One side at a time and wrap the ends on the little tike's head while transporting him from bath room to bedroom.
Again thank you so much jutybo for the inspiration.  (In fact, now the DIL's sister asked for 4 also)
Well, I tried to add a link to my craftster gallery but it didn't work. \I didn't do it right.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 01:26:33 AM by Jinjeet Phoenix - Reason: cause I'm computer helpless » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Vintage Glamour to Long Hair
Beauty Field Test: Fake Bangs for the Noncommittal
Black Women and Their Hair
Try This Different Take on the Braid
Hair Tips: Customizing Your Curling Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...