A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Made From T-Shirts  (Read 11252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarybow
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005 06:39:52 AM »

I have no clue what other fabric would fit in more with metal band shirts  Cheesy

What about plaid flannel or anything solid in color?  Like if a bunch of your tshirts are black or white, you could use a solid dark red color.  Depending on your pattern, the weight difference between the tshirts and denim (esp jeans) might be hard to work with. 

Posted in the completed works forum is this metal tshirt quilt top which is where I might have thought of the plaid flannel:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=42873.0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005 06:49:05 AM by sarybow » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennickell
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005 06:49:03 AM »

My aunt made a t-shirt quilt for my sister and she used polar fleece for the backing, then she didnt have to line it. The fleece is thick and washed up nice, she used parts from the t-shirts she cut up to make the border with, then tied it in the corners of each squre with embroidery floss.

And just a suggestion to those who are wanting to cut up hubbies/boyfriends shirts. You may want to ask them first. I once suggested cutting up my hubbies shirts and making him a quilt, he about had a heart attack, guys get weirdly attached to things like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2005 06:51:11 AM »

oooh I'm glad I found this thread. I don't have time to look at it now, but my sister wants me to make her one with all her old t shirts. I'll be sure to come back and read through it all later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
fire*rocket
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2006 10:45:27 AM »

There are some great suggestions in this thread!  Smiley I've just been commissioned to make a t-shirt quilt out of old tye dyes.  There are going to be many different square sizes though which should give me a challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ParanoidEv
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2006 02:24:36 AM »

I'm still busy with my quilt, I just have a huge pile of shirts stacked on my sewing desk for a LONG time now..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put your hay on the ground and your sexy legs in the air! You have the right to remain wheeking for pellets!
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006 05:39:32 PM »

I have a t-shirt quilt my Mom made me about 20 years ago and it's my favorite.  She did it a little different than what I have read here.  She cut the sleeves off some and left them on others and left all the neck bindings on.  Then she cut out a backing piece of material the size she wanted the top to be, laid the t-shirts on it, overlapping where necessary, until the entire top was covered.  She didn't have to add any extra pieces since she let the t-shirts overlap.  Then she stitched each t-shirt to the backing material by outlining it.  She put a thin layer of batting under that and a backing material and tie quilted it.  Whatever color the t-shirt was, that's the color of yarn she tied it with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xladyluckx
Hiatus over...back to crafting.

woo woo!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006 05:00:44 PM »

As a quilter myself, and a wired on at that, I have decided to try quilting with t-shirts as well. The boyfriend finally listened to me to clean out the holey tour shirts out of our closet. He was a little miffed at my nagging, so I told him that I would make him a quilt out of the ones he boxed up so he can get a new use out of them. He is on tour in europe right now, and I already made the nice pile of shirts and put them on the chair in the living room for when he comes home. I was going to start cutting, but I am going to get him involved by picking his faves and helping with the layout. I like the borders some of you have put around each tee square, and thought I would do the same. I found a set of vintage star wars sheets last weekend at the flea mkt. so now I have borders for the years of tees he has collected. He is a star wars nut too, and I am STOKED to cut them up and piece my ass off!
One person asked for help with terminolgy.....I would suggest going to a used book store, craft store or quilt shop and buy any book that has the words beginner or for the first time in the title. I took a brief class, but those books are what got me addicted. I do log cabin with funky fabrics and crazy quilting. I am not into the traditional flowery/calico quilts, although I am making a nice piecework ditty for my grandmother. Showed her the design the other day and she was all teary. It is not my style, but for her I would knit faux fur boots in the summer if she asked me to. Things that are good to invest in for quilting:
rotary cutter - this is a handle with a circular blade on the end - invaluable to get clean cuts!
clear ruler - they come in a bunch of sizes and are pricey for the big ones. Watch the sales at your local faabric stores and use the coupons!
cutting mat - I started with an 18x24 mat and just graduated to the  "cover the whole damn table" size. I used a 50% off coupon and got it for $23 bucks. I LOVE MY CUTTING MAT.
sewing maching - self explainatory
fabric - cotton is the best place to start, then go crazy! - people have done some amazing off the wall quilting in thier time. flannel, jersey,silky, the possibilities are endless!!
interfacing - it comes in fusible (iron on) and non fusible. Check with your local fabric store as to what is the best type and thickness for the project you are doing. I always go there and ask them what I may need for this and that, and thankfully those ladies there know their stuff!
iron - an iron that works well is a great item to have. you should press your seams after each time you sew a length of the block. press and wash your fabric too before quilting. spray starch is a nice item to have to bring back the crispness to the fabric.

That is my two cents, I am sure everyone will add to the list in order to help those get started! I will post pics once I am done with my tee quilt too! 6 more days until he gets home and I can start cutting!!! woo hoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006 12:43:55 AM »

i always find it funny to read about cleaning out husbands/boyfriends concert shirts being raided.
in my case, im the raging concert goer... lol. the boy just sits back and lets me have my fun.
and expects me to tell him all about it.
but in refrence to the quilts, i made one as well
although not as indepthly put together as some have been
and im impressed
my aunt is having me make another one for my uncle
(with his old bill and opus shirts)
so im hoping that the shirts dont fall apart in the process
since they are worn rather thin...
lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mtiesen
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006 01:20:00 PM »

What a great thread!  I'm making a T-shirt quilt for my daughter from her old softball shirts; have fused the cut pieces to interfacing, which is really helpful in the handling.  The pieces were all cut different sizes, and also have different size logos on them.   She wants to use sashing, with block sizes as similar as possible so the sashing is even both horizontally and vertically.   The quilt will be about 97x100 when done;  she plans to use it on a king-size bed.  (I have never made any kind of quilt before, although I do sew). Question: How do I go about figuring how to "fill" around those shirt pieces that are too small for the block? 

I was just able to post a photo of the blocks on the craftster picture hosting, if you'd like to see it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010 12:52:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006 12:16:53 PM »

Question: How do I go about figuring how to "fill" around those shirt pieces that are too small for the block?

Hi mtiesen -
Making all the blocks the same size by filling in the smaller logos with fabric that coordinates with the border/sashing is a great idea. It sounds like your daughter wants all of the blocks to be similar, so this could work out pretty well.  Doing this is simple. 

Start by taking inventory of your blocks, and finding the size of the largest block, (say 15x15 inches). If you are lucky, many of them will already be close in size.  You'd then have to apply a border around the smaller squares to bring them up to the larger size. A rectangular block would need two borders of fabric to make it square; a small square would need a full border to make it larger; etc.  Add what you need to bring all of the logos up to the desired size.  Then you can sew them all together in even rows, and then sew the rows together to make the quilt.  Easy.  Time consuming, but easy.

It looks like you have some smaller logos from fronts of shirts and numbers. You could sew four of them together to make one large block to match the size of the larger logos. If you have enough, it would be cute to put one of these "combo blocks" at each corner of the quilt (as you already have it laid out in the pic).  I also see some very small logos - you could applique these onto some of the larger blocks that have a lot of open space.

This is going to be so neat when it is done!  Ask more questions if I am not being clear.  Looking forward to seeing the results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Achieve Bouncy Waves with Cesar Ramirez
Get a Diane Kruger Braided Updo Hair Style
How to Style a Cheryl Cole Updo
Tips For Younger Looking Hair
How to Create a Twisted Bun Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...