A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Made From T-Shirts  (Read 11499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005 09:07:59 AM »

Hi twisted_angel,

This is all really good advice so far.  I am in middle of making my t-shirt quilt, and it's really fun. 

I also strongly advise that you iron on interfacing before you cut your squares - it makes it a lot easier. 

I used a plastic 12.5-inch quilting square as my template, but you could just as easily use cardboard.  I liked using the clear plastic though, because you can see through it, to the pattern on the shirt that you are cutting out.  It makes it easier to get the picture centered.

I used 12 different shirts, and I cut out the big logo on the back, as well as the small logo that was on the front of the shirt.  I am going to work the smaller logos into the border.  I also put a 2-inch border around each t-shirt square, matching the fabric to the shirt, with no regard to how it would look with the other squares - it's crazy but it turned out pretty well!  I usually have to match everythingRoll Eyes  This is a quilt to use, not to hang on your wall, so I wanted it to be fun and colorful.  Plus, it was really fun to search for sailboat fabric to go with my oceanography shirt, and fish to go with my whale shirt, etc.

I am going to put binding and a flannel back on mine, but some girlfriends of mine skipped the whole step by using fleece for the back.  They just sewed it around the edges of the quilt top (wrong sides together, and leaving a hole so that you can turn it right side out), and then stiched in the ditch around each t-shirt square.  The fleece added loft and warmth in one step.

Here are a couple of pictures so you get the idea of what my quilt is looking like:

The quilt top.  I haven't made the border with the smaller t-shirt squares yet, but you can see them ready to go.

A close-up of the squares.  Even though the fabric is crazy and mixed up, the quilt top as a whole actually looks good, and will really come together when I add a border.

Good luck, and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005 10:47:09 AM »

Wow, super cool, Crabby!

Can't wait to see more like this... now I have a way to use messed-up Tshirts I can't part with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
zenochka
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005 08:41:39 AM »

I love this idea! I just called my brother and asked if I could make him one out of his old shirts from High School, he was in plays and musicals and such. My mom loved the idea since it will clean a lot of shirts out of his closet lol!
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
siamquilter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005 10:41:02 PM »

I made a t-shirt quilt for my daughter's then boyfriend several years ago.  She wanted to include a spaghetti top, so I stitched it down to a leftover blank piece of t-shirt and then cut it out.  I agree that you should iron on the interfacing before cutting.  Some  tips that I've learned after helping friends make T quilts.
When you've collected all your shirts, measure the largest design.  We've found that sometimes it's larger than a standard 12" block.  If you want to make sure your design is centered and you don't have the clear rulers, cut a window in your cardboard template.  Then you can center the window over the design.  I've had friends make quilts with sashing around each block and also just sewing t-shirt blocks together.  Both styles have looked great.  Oh, one other tip if you're tying your quilt.  If you're trying to tie it every 4 or 5 inches, create a cardboard template and put holes where you want the knots to go.  Also, one friend tied it with the knots on the backing side which looked really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emmyliz
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005 11:57:43 AM »

This thread is great!  I really want to make a quilt out of my cross country and track t-shirts from high school, but I have never done any quilting before.  (Which is kind of funny, since I work for a quilt research organization.)  You guys have so many great tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenochka
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005 05:18:50 PM »

I'm almost done the top part of my brother's t-shirt quilt (it's looking awesome btw), just have to add the school colored border, and have the batting and the fabric for the back. Now my question is, would it be better to hand tie it at every square corner or stitch in the ditch down each row? I did add a border to each square and I was thinking of just stitching down each row, though I can't do across b/c the shirts don't line up across but it does look cool the way I did it. I'll take a pic of the front and put it up here tomorrow. So hand tie or stitch? what would you do? Thanks
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005 05:30:50 PM »

I'm almost done the top part of my brother's t-shirt quilt (it's looking awesome btw), just have to add the school colored border, and have the batting and the fabric for the back. Now my question is, would it be better to hand tie it at every square corner or stitch in the ditch down each row? I did add a border to each square and I was thinking of just stitching down each row, though I can't do across b/c the shirts don't line up across but it does look cool the way I did it. I'll take a pic of the front and put it up here tomorrow. So hand tie or stitch? what would you do? Thanks
Cheryl

Cheryl,

It depends.  Let me elaborate.  If you used cotton batting, the quilt will be much more durable if you stitch in the ditch (maybe you could go around each block in between the square and the border, instead of doing lines down the rows?).  If you used polyester batting, it is a bit more tolerant of repeated washing with less stitching (it will handle ties a bit better).  Depending on the size of your squares however, you may have to stitch in the ditch to provide enough stability so the batting won't get ruined in the wash.  Post pics!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenochka
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005 08:25:45 PM »

Here is the website which has a pic of the t-shirt quilt. The top is cpmpletely finished, I just have to do the backing and the binding which I'll try and work on this weekend. The link is http://www.geocities.com/zenochka/quilt_photo_page.html
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005 09:58:36 AM »

Great job, Cheryl!  Here's my $0.02 for the quilting part: Stitch in the ditch around both the black and gold borders, and around each t-shirt square in between the t-shirt and it's border fabric.  That way you'd stabilize the quilt AND it would look great!  If you wanted to use polyester batting, each square would be a little puffy and would stand out.  If you don't want that look, just use cottong batting.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlawill
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005 07:57:25 PM »

wow this has been immensely helpful! i've been thinking about making a quilt out of my husband's old band t-shirts. he's been to so many concerts and just HAS to buy a tshirt every time. eventually some fall out of rotation but they all have such history that i would hate to get rid of them! i can't wait to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 User Interface Tutorial
Pixel Light Painting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...