A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Made From T-Shirts  (Read 11486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mtiesen
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006 02:28:47 PM »

Hi Crabby (I'm willing to bet you're NOT),
Thanks so much for the hints!  Really helptul. I suppose we would use a different fabric for the "fill-in" than we'd use for the sashing.  To match each individual block, or all the same?? Decisions, decisions. Then we have to think about a border too. I would love to get ideas from you & others...

Yes, we'd planned to make a "collage" of the smaller logos & patches in each of the 4 corners, as the picture shows.  We have four quite stiff patches that we thought might work in the very corners of the border; not sure about that yet.

On some other threads I read a lot about bunching problems.  As I'm planning to sew this on my regular sewing machine with a walking foot, i'm concerned about that.  Maybe after the top is done it should be sent to a real quilter...

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Reba
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006 10:35:06 PM »

Hope this is the right place for this. . .

I'm a complete quilting newbie, and my sewing machine won't sew stretchy fabric.  I've tried--it just won't.  If ironing interfacing on the t-shirts makes them more sturdy, do you think I then might be able to sew them on my machine?  It seems to make sense to me that after the interfacing is put on, there wouldn't be so much stretch.

Thanks for all your tips, reading through this thread has made me REALLY want to make this quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2006 11:03:47 AM »

Hi Reba,

Yes, interfacing will allow you to sew stretchy fabric (like t-shirts) on your machine.  After you iron it on, the fabric will not longer stretch at all (or only a little bit).  It's amazing stuff!  It comes in different levels of stiffness, so be sure to consider how stiff you want your final product to be.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laura1121
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2006 06:56:52 PM »

ok so im halfway through making a tshirt blanket/quilt/whatever and i need some help.  unfortunately, i did everything very haphazardly so far, the seams are all wonky and not lined up but since i cant fix that im just going to focus on doing the rest correctly.

i already sewed all the tshirts together into a big block (the front of the blanket) but now i have no idea how to do the backing.  i want to use fleece but i dont think i can buy a piece of fleece large enough to cover the back?  it's a little bigger then a twin bed...i was thinking of just sewing it to the front like a pillow (wrong sides together then leave one side open to pull through & sew that) but i want it to look like

that...as in, the blue part is part of the backing...so you can see the backing from the front, and i don't think you'd be able to if i just did the "pillow" thing

also...when people say "tie it" in the corners, what exactly does that mean and how exactly do you do that?  sorry if thats a dumb question.  i was just going to sew each corner of each shirt to the backing but then i came here and everyone said to "tie it" and i have no idea what that means

thankkkk youuuu in advance to anyone who would like to help me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2006 09:52:16 PM »

laura-
mine was too large to fit one piece of fleece.
so i sewed two together, and it has a large seam running through the middle across the back of the quilt.
and to get the bordered look, i took strips of the same fabric and made a border to the outside of it.
and did the same sew and turn inside out method you said.
hmm
hope that somewhat helps or makes sense...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reba
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2006 11:36:38 AM »

Of course I have more questions.  Grin

I'm kinda clueless about the whole batting thing--do you just create knots at intervals throughout the quilt so the thing will stay together?  Do you do anything to the edges to keep it all together?

I'm thinking I might just do fleece for the border of the quilt and the backing, as someone on this thread mentioned.  Has anyone done this?  With the interfacing, and without batting, does the quilt get too stiff?  I know that there are degrees of how thick fusible interfacing is--I guess I just need to find a balance where it's stiff enough to sew but not so stiff that the finished product is like a board.

And if I do just do the front and then fleece for the back, I'd still need to create some knots at the square corners, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emisaurus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006 01:29:16 PM »

since mine was all 12" squares in the end
i did a knot at every corner of the squares.
as for the interfacing, i think the batting is there for warmth, and more of a thickness, since t-shirts can be rather thin in the first place.
i bought my interfacing from walmart, and found that that is the best, because i also purchased from a craft/fabric store, and it irritated me like no other.
its a little thick, and more sturdy.
im not too sure on the brand though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006 02:01:35 PM »

I'm kinda clueless about the whole batting thing--do you just create knots at intervals throughout the quilt so the thing will stay together?  Do you do anything to the edges to keep it all together?
Hi Reba.  Whether or not you use batting, you will want to either tie knots periodically or sew all the layers of the quilt together.  Did you find info on knot tying?  I've used embroidery thread for this, and it works really well. Just thread a needle, bring the thread down from the top though the layers, and back up through to the top again, and tie the ends together on top of the quilt. Or, vice versa if you want the ends to decorate the bottom side of the quilt.

I'm thinking I might just do fleece for the border of the quilt and the backing, as someone on this thread mentioned.  Has anyone done this?  With the interfacing, and without batting, does the quilt get too stiff?  I know that there are degrees of how thick fusible interfacing is--I guess I just need to find a balance where it's stiff enough to sew but not so stiff that the finished product is like a board.
Find a good balance of stiffness, and you'll be fine.  Also, the interfacing should get softer after you wash the finished project.

And if I do just do the front and then fleece for the back, I'd still need to create some knots at the square corners, right?
Yes, definitely. In my experience, if you are using fleece for the back, you don't need batting. Unless you want a really warm blanket.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make The Best Turkey Burger
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Grill Fails Mashup
How to Cook Perfect Burgers
Heavenly Hush Puppies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...