A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Made From T-Shirts  (Read 11322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Twisted_angel
« on: March 08, 2004 11:06:28 AM »

has anyone here every made a t-shirt quilt, where you cut out the designs on a bunch of t-shirt and sew them together? i want to make one so i would appreciate some tips! Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004 06:20:07 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
holywhack

...trying to get it together

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004 07:03:28 PM »

I HAVE!! <<Raises hand>>

look at this thread...
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3151

I cut out the designs from the shirts, (I used the backs of some) and used fusible interfacing to keep them from stretching...lots of fusible interfacing, but then I had lots of shirts.  I've seen where people just cut out generic squares, and put strips between each square, but that wasn't my style, so I did A LOT of piecing, and rearranging and filling in with old pj pants.  I sewed most of it by hand (all the shirts and the denim to the sides...)  It took about 2 weeks of non-stop sewing! Originally I was gonna do it all one-sided, but it would have been WAY TOO BIG...about king-size.  But the way I did it, it covers the entire top of my full size bed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft unto others, as you would have them craft unto you...
aspenwall
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004 09:39:09 AM »

in case you arent good with the fusible interfacing...you can use muslin...it isnt fused to the shirt but makes it easier to peice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kookykarina

yes, i think it happens to most girls

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004 12:44:51 PM »

im in the process of collecting enough t-shirts that no oone wants to make into a blanket... i htink it will look great very vintage... im going to cut out the picture on shirts or logos  or sayins (things like ie. "You laugh because im stupid i laugh cause im dont know what is going on")
they are in all diffrent sizes adn shapes but none circular ... im goign to sew them together and then but like the bed stuffing in it the sheets and then sew a sheet to the back probaly a black one...
i think it will look cool.. once i ever finish it i will try to get a picture up... tell me your thoughts please..
and by the way this is my first post i've been looking around alot and i thought it was abouttime i joinedthe party this place is freakin awesome
~karina~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only I had the will power to finish projects
holywhack

...trying to get it together

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004 05:00:14 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3151

look there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft unto others, as you would have them craft unto you...
wizkid
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004 08:45:42 PM »

I made one of those with all my shirts from High School productions. (Musicals, shows I was in) I think it is is an awesome way to use t shirts that you wouldn't normally wear. Can't wait to see pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
Mexicomarti
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004 05:37:15 AM »

I'm a quilter, so here's my advice:

Use iron-on interfacing on the backs of the shirts before you cut them.  It's really cheap...comes by the yard.  Then I strongly advise you cut them all the same size square...use a big pizza box lid for a template so they are all the same size.

Determine how many squares will make up a row.  Sew the squares together to make the rows, then sew the rows together.

You can buy batting of all types of loft (puffiness).  I suggest low loft.   When you put your sandwich together (backing, batting, top),  you can tie the three layers together at even intervals with embroidery floss.   I suggest a tie at every square corner.  If you don't quilt it or tie it, the three layers will flop around and be a mess.

After you do that, here's a link to a site that shows you how to put a binding on the edges.

http://www.quilttownusa.com/Chitra/beginners1b.htm

Tee shirts make great fun quilts.  I've done a couple as wall hangings for a runner, using the tee shirts from races.

Marti in Mexico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jill
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004 08:39:37 PM »

I saw a quilt in a magazine where they cut the torso of the shirt (with the design on it), both front and back, and made little pillows, lightly stuffed. Then they stitched all the little pillows together. It was a wonderful, puffy-looking quilt that grew as they added new shirts. This one had different sized shirt-pillows, but I think it would work better to have one standard size rectangle, making for a more even quilt. The benefits of doing it this way versus a traditional quilt technique are: it goes quickly, you can add on to it, no binding or backing, unique and cushy look. Good luck with the project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join me in my world, where the skies are always sunny
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004 01:54:32 AM »

One thing I'd add.... Make sure the shirts aren't too worn out.  If the fabric is too warn, putting stitches in could tear the fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
violet_knife
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004 10:40:21 PM »

After you do that, here's a link to a site that shows you how to put a binding on the edges.

http://www.quilttownusa.com/Chitra/beginners1b.htm

Those are the clearest directions I've seen! Thanks so much. I just did a ton of math and drawing to figure out the geometry for a t-shirt quilt with fabric scraps between panels, and the whole "binding" thing was confusing the heck out of me (didn't want to cut anything until I had a clear plan).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Herbal Conditioning Mixtures for Sparkling Hair
How to Create an Up-Do with Pin Curls
How to Create a Side Up-Do
How to Care for Color Treated Hair
Learn About Hair Cutting Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...