A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting Advice for Beginners  (Read 63857 times)
Tags for this thread: backing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2010 08:29:57 PM »

I was just looking for some inspirational stuff about sewing scrubs and found the post in here from 4 years ago with the advice I had determined up to that point in my sewing/quilting adventures.  It was interesting to reread this and see what I had advised that made me think "NONONO" now. (No rolling up a quilt to machine quilt it, unless you WANT to ache and hate doing it, for example.)  I don't have the time tonight, but I plan to reread through this full thread to see if I recognize anyone else who has grown on here and become a much better artist.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
slimeyp
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2012 03:23:56 AM »

Any advice on how to make clothes with a quilting technique. I was thinking perhaps a plaid shirt in that lumberjack style (maybe with a cord colour)? Lovely and padded like a duvet for the winter time. I want to feel like I'm still wrapped in my bed linen on the way to work!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 07:57:22 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
samadhya
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2012 06:39:10 AM »

Hi, I found the book Little Bits Quilting Bee (link below) really brilliant for starting off. Many of the magazines and books are prescriptive, i.e. the "correct" and "incorrect" ways to work and "proper" techniques, where as the Little Bits... just gives you the tools to start creating yourself with whatever ideas are floating around in your head. Far less traditional but, for me, a lot more creative and fun. The sites you use, the quilters you follow online and the tutorials you follow will depend on if you want to make a traditional quilt or just mad freestying Smiley
Also, if you're on Pinterest, check out Earthtones Girls tutorials boards - I've found them absolutely invaluable http://pinterest.com/earthtonesgirl/

Have fun!
a x

Little Bits Quilting Bee - http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bits-Quilting-Bee-Quarters/dp/0811877302
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clairefromsandiego
« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2013 07:11:50 AM »

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the advice in here! I'm hoping to start quilting soon. Deciding whether I'm going to start now (no fabric stores available so just using bits of clothing, and hand sewing) or wait until I'm back in the US in another year (with my lovely sewing machine Rosajia at my beck and call). Definitely appreciate all the tips and info here! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat?
bethymay123
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2013 06:10:58 PM »

Bex,

there are a ton of free sites all over the web. google what you are wanting to know. I am teaching myself to quilt right now and am always finding new inspiration on the web.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Summer Makeup
Hottest Summer Beauty And Style Secrets
Beauty MacGyver: How to Fix Your Favorite Broken Makeup Products
6 Skin Beauty Tips For Summer
Top Picks For Liquid Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...