A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting Advice for Beginners  (Read 67421 times)
Tags for this thread: backing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roccstarr75
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2009 06:34:33 PM »

I know this thread is old, but I am sure people still come to it.  I did not read through all 15 pages, so if this has been mentioned already, *apologizes* Wink

I just discovered a blog called "Oh, Fransson" (www.ohfransson.com) and I have learned more in the 1st 30 minutes of reading her tutes than in the past year of experiences from quilting on my own.  I am in no way affiliated with this blog, its just that I am usually the one everybody turns to for tips, hints, and shortcuts, so when I find someone that I can turn to, who thinks of tips, hins, and shortcuts I didn't think of...well...let's just say I'm deeply impressed with this woman and will be reading her blog A LOT!

She has an excellent teaching style that (judging by the comments she gets) is easy for just about every type of learner, and she takes/provides a TON of excellent pictures.  She must have a really good camera,  because she gets in really close where its needed, and it helps a lot to visualize what she's talking about. 

Basically, she knows what she's doing, and it shows.

Check it out now, and you can thank me later!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2009 06:42:58 AM »

It's sad that HGTV doesn't really show crafting anymore. I learned to quilt from the show Simply Quilts. 

Even though I can quilt, that blog looks like a good one and I'm adding it to my Google Reader.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beledi
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2009 04:37:20 PM »

1. Online communities are great - and so are books - but sometimes when you're new to something you can look online to see if there's a local guild or group that meets. See if there's a nearby quilting group and go and watch people and ask questions and you won't feel so intimidated by jumping in.

2. I highly recommend making a doll's quilt first or something other kind of small practice quilt so you can see how it goes together and get ideas for the real thing.

3. When I made my first quilt I did everything without sources and it still turned out fine - although I found out later I went about it the least efficient way possible. I used cd cases as a template and cut out each individual square, sewed the squares into rows with my machine, sewed the rows into the top sheet (with my machine) and put it together the batting and the back like a giant pillow (put the right sides facing each other and the batting on top of the wrong side of one of the wrong sides, and sewed three sides with my machine), turned it right side out and handstitched one side together. Later I got a quilting book and realized there are much easier ways to go about it - but even though I did it "wrong" I still ended up with a quilt that looks great. So don't worry too much about doing it wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2009 08:43:40 AM »

I found this link today while surfing...

This is a great clip to watch teaching sewing a log cabin square.  The thing I found interesting (besides the clip being well done) NO words were needed to understand what is happening.

Enjoy!
http://vlieseline.de/English/Produktvideo.htm?pId=49&vId=16192
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cc4ever
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2009 11:33:32 PM »

http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/quilting.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurenrox
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2010 04:47:34 PM »

Thanks for all the helpful links! I got a new sewing machine for Christmas, and I want my first project to be a quilt, but I'm sad I have to learn the basics first, as with everything... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiquidsDagron
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2010 01:40:07 PM »

i got a sewing machine for my b-day last yr. and so far made a Sackboy and super Mario star for the hubby for Christmas. now i wanna make him a Mario themed quilt. so my question are...

1 Is it easier to do just the squares?

2 When I get the top done what do I do from there? Do I sew the batting and the back on at once or one at a time?

3 When the top batting and back are together do i then sew back over the lines in the quilt to make sure that everything stays where it should and doesn't slip?

I haven't been sewing long, and I'm sure it shows in the questions. I just recently joined and I know there was 16 pages already, so if my questions were already answered i apologize for my inpatients >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2010 07:07:03 AM »

i got a sewing machine for my b-day last yr. and so far made a Sackboy and super Mario star for the hubby for Christmas. now i wanna make him a Mario themed quilt. so my question are...

1 Is it easier to do just the squares?

2 When I get the top done what do I do from there? Do I sew the batting and the back on at once or one at a time?

3 When the top batting and back are together do i then sew back over the lines in the quilt to make sure that everything stays where it should and doesn't slip?

I haven't been sewing long, and I'm sure it shows in the questions. I just recently joined and I know there was 16 pages already, so if my questions were already answered i apologize for my inpatients >.<

1-Large squares are easy to start with.  Strips are also easy.

2-Sew the batting and back to the top all at the same time. You will baste them together first  you can use thread to baste or you can use pins.  THere is also a quilting spray adhesive you can use to baste.  I hope that you will google thorough quilting instructions or get a simple book for beginners...

3- See #2 above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiquidsDagron
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2010 11:49:50 PM »

thanks that helps a lot  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
petunya
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2010 03:50:08 PM »

Just remember that a quilt doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. Enjoy the process and learn something new with every quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is my therapy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Unforgettable Oscars Red Carpet Trends
Get the Look: A Night Out
Oscars Red Carpet Fashion: Best and Worst Dressed
Rock This Outfit for Cocktail Hour
Rent the Runway Shows Us How to Wear 3 Top Spring Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...