A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting Advice for Beginners  (Read 65528 times)
Tags for this thread: backing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carobelle

Don't tell me I'm not crafty...!

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2003 06:16:46 AM »

For a couple of years now I have so wanted to make a quilt but have been too busy to even think of it... well I think  i will have some time coming up... so now it dawns on me..
WHERE/ HOW DO I START??!
I mean I have the scraps, i think I know the kind of pattern I want to do, but do I handstich them, machine sew them... and what on earth happens when i get to the point where I actually have to QUILT the thing!! am I going to be put off by the level of difficulty of the whole project??
please give me some tips if you can!
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maamtastic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003 09:28:39 AM »

I am not very experienced, but I just jumped in there and started cutting and sewing and have been learning as I go with a huge crazy quilt made out of my and my kids' iold clothes.  If you are afraid of ruining your "good" scraps, that might be a good way to start.  I am halfway through a king size crazy quilt and it is amazing how easily it is coming together.  You can do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slumber party at my house!
Jera
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003 11:15:13 AM »

Um I am just a beginner but I like to hand stitch; cause its easier to pull out the stitches and start over if I mess up.(which I do alot)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
SunCrush

I love the 80's!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003 03:23:00 PM »

I have made tons of quilts... here is a picture of the blocks I am sewing right now, for a Batik Quilt...

Good Luck... Any questions feel free to ask!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maamtastic
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003 11:33:22 AM »

I have mostly finished my first quilt top and am really happy with the way it is working out.  But this one is a wacky freestyle crazy quilt and I'd like to try a flying geese type one next.  Does anyone have any advice for quilts with triangles or just beginning working with patterns, etc?  Any good books?
thanks!
layne
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohnother_again
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003 11:08:49 PM »

Hi Layne,
I do crazy quilting too but never bothered with traditional quilting. If you want to try it, there are a zillion very instructional websites out there on traditional quilting.  Just do a search on Google and you'll have more info than you know what to do with!  
Have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maamtastic
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003 12:57:17 AM »

I think I have figured out what to do for my next one.  I want to do a courthouse steps twin sized one for my daughter in aunt grace fabric.  She wants a hearts bed so I am going to use the february fabrics and some others and do red centers and pink and white strips.  There are a ton of how tos for logcabin quilts and they are so easy!
layne
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orlandosgurl

Butter toast is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004 11:49:40 AM »

My mother and I have taken up quilting! I think its really fun, although I am just a beginner. I am starting a new one....any advice?  Grin
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004 06:10:58 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little Orlando is a very good thing
knittykat
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004 12:06:23 PM »

Congrats on learning to quilt.  I learned myself this past year and it is sooooo addictive.  You can take all these leeetle scraps and turn them into a warm blanket--who wouldn't love it?

My favorite quilting book is Quilts from The Quiltmaker's Gift.  A beautiful book with gorgeous photography, step by step instructions, and suggestions for design changes to suit all ages and skill levels.  It is designed so that children and adults can learn together (the Quiltmaker's Gift is a kids' book).  Each pattern has a number of variations for inspiration.  Many quilt books have bad pictures or pictures of just one block which is not very helpful!  

Another fun (fast) project is a shaggy quilt.  You basically cut rectangles of your fabric (they're big pieces) and cut slightly smaller rectangles of your batting and sew little 'sandwiches' with an X across them.  This 'quilts' all of the pieces individually.  Then you sew them together with the seams out, make little cuts in the seams, and run it through the washer.  I made one in 3 days for my best friend (when I decided 3 days before Christmas I wanted to make her a quilt!)  You can find free patterns on the internet or in craft stores--I got mine from Hancock fabrics.

Good luck!  
Kat

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bex
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004 01:32:19 PM »

I'm wanting to find a good [free] source online for learning to quilt...

Does anyone know of any such site?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guys I've made an awesome new discovery! Blue and yellow mixed together makes an entirely different color... I'm gonna call it, BLELLOW!!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Killing 20 Orcs Without Getting Touched - Shadow of Mordor
CGRundertow TABLE TENNIS for Xbox 360 Video Game Review
Let The Madden 15 Tournament Begin
History in Five: Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation
The Legend of Sheba by Tosca Lee
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...