A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hands Across the Water: UK to US Swap  (Read 19144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittnkitten
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005 04:15:07 AM »

awwww, I love this idea. I lived in London last summer, and I was supposed to move back there for a job, but it didn't work out. I'm still homesick for it everyday.

I miss MacVittie's biscuits (you can get them here, but they're not the same), Branston pickles, taking the tube... also this great bar on a boat on the Thames I used to go to, the Tattershall Castle. ***Sigh***

I'll have to decide between this and the Amelie swap, since I'm a newbie and can only sign up for one! But yeah, keep me posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005 12:25:47 PM »

Don't they have peanut butter in the UK?

Yep, definately! We have 3 jars in the larder!

maybe a 1 note,

Note?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005 01:02:52 PM »

We have peanut butter here in the uk but they don't seem to have made any related sweetie products....I wish they would!

This thread on another board I post on might be of some interest!

That's hilarious. Yep, it's not that there's no PB, it's the sugar and chocolate components that are missing. Of course any Brits who really love the stuff could always make "Buckeyes" (which I guess you'd have to call conkers, or horsechestnuts): mix up PB with confectioners sugar, roll into balls, dip in melted chocolate, and chill until firm. Nice. Or, request them in this swap!  Grin  My BF at Uni used to always want me to bring PB Snickers, which they don't make any more, as well a s PB Twix, which they still make (and cartons of duty free cigs but that's another matter). Candy is so much better in the UK though. What I REALLY miss is Sainsbury's thick & creamy vanilla yoghurt. Nothing here compares!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005 01:06:22 PM »

Candy is so much better in the UK though.

Really? Are you serious? I could kill a slug for a packet of Peppermint Patties. And yes, I am totally addicted to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. The last time I got some was last year when I went to NYC. We left 2 days before Hallowe'en and so I went to the supermarket to grab some bags of sweets....Well, I got so much, the cashier was convinced that it was for the trick-or-treaters.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005 01:13:05 PM »

Maybe it's just the grass is greener (or "chocolate is more chocolicious") on the other side of the pond! But yeah....I love the creamy chocolatey loveliness of British sweets! Oh, and I miss diet Lilt!!! I guess that would be a bit much to swap though, haha. I also have a weird smell-memory association about Sainsbury's dryer sheets..yeah, I'm a weirdo. I'm glad we have Lush now, and I can even get Boots products (happy dance of joy) But no Lilt or the yoghurt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
purplefluffycow
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2005 04:31:49 PM »

Sorry but this just had to be said..... Peanuts, yuk  Tongue  Can't stand 'em or anything with them in.  You can all throw things at me (as long as there are no peanuts involved) and carry on with your pb loving conversation now  =)

On the chocolate side, I have to say that Galaxy make some of the best chocolate.  Galaxy beats Cadbury's any day.  There's nothing quite like a bar of galaxy caramel dipped in a cup of coffee/hot chocolate.  And has anyone tried those Willy Wonka bars they brought out because of the film remake?  The fudgey scrumptilicious whatever they are bars are quite something, but at 48p a bar it's something I won't be buying again.

I miss MacVittie's biscuits

Yummy  =)  those digestives with caramel and chocolate on top  =)  But they aren't quite as good as Fox's ginger cream crunch thingies or their Classic biscuit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucy van pelt
in the sky, with diamonds

lie back and think of england

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2005 05:44:09 PM »

Well, they're horrid, but for some reason, I love chewing on Quality Street Licorice. When I have it, it's like a cow chewing its cud. You can find boxes of them sometimes in Big Lots here, but by that time, they're stale.

There's a supermarket on the beach where I live, and they have a few shelves devoted to British items because so many Brit tourists stay on the beach there, and if they get a hankering for salad cream, shortbread, or Birds Custard they they do not have far to go. It's funny to see it next to the Mexican (ethnic) stuff!

I wonder, is the Cadbury here less sweet than the Cadbury over there? I mean, is it the same quality?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittnkitten
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005 07:18:37 PM »

I think Cadbury only sells those cream-filled easter eggs here, whereas in England they sell them in bars & stuff, like Hershey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005 08:24:40 PM »

Oooh, I think they're German or something but you made me think of Kinder Eggs! Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Emmetropia
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2005 12:24:01 AM »

We still have some 1 notes in Scotland; mostly coins, but some notes are still in circulation.

American chocoloate tastes sweeter to most of what is on sale in the UK.  The only stuff I've ever had here that tastes like US chocolate was in cheap (sorry!) easter eggs.

Kinder eggs rock!   If you can't get them in the US and anyone wants them, I can happily send some out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Primark Lookbook 2014
4 Date Night Outfit Ideas!
See All the Celebrity Super Bowl Style!
You Can Do What with Double-Sided Tape?
Celebrity Stylist Phillip Bloch Talks About Super Bowl Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...