A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Repairing coat lining/upsizing - 40's coat  (Read 388 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 10, 2005 09:15:58 AM »

So, I have this FABULOUS coat from the 40's that I happened upon in a thrift store (how often does that happen?  I mean, really!) for freakin' $5!!  I've been wearing it off and on, but the lining needs some repair. 

It's a full length walking coat with a hood, made of a lovely deep purple wool, and feels like a silk lining.  It's probably a silk blend of some sort, it doesn't wrinkle like silk.  Anyway, the lining is coming apart at the armholes, and the pockets are just lined holes  Cheesy  I can fix the pockets fairly easily, but I'm noticing that the coat is slightly tight across the shoulders.  Since the coat is gored all the way to the neck, I'm hoping one of you more experience craftsters might be able to offer me some guidance.  I'm not sure what I could do to let it out a tad, but perhaps you all might have some suggestions?

Also, a little guidance for repairing the armhole lining would be great, I'm really not sure what to do there.  I just put my first sleeve together about two weeks ago!

Thanks for the kickass projects, inspirations and advice on here!!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chilan
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005 06:20:25 AM »

Hmm...  Well, I have a few questions first...

About that lining at the armholes... Is the seam thread just unravelling, or is the actually lining farbric falling apart there?  Like, it has actually ripped... Meaning that there is now no seam allowance?

Also, how is the wool sewn together at those gores?  You'd have to peek into the back of the wool, so I guess that it's a good thing that there is a hole in the lining....   Grin  Is it serged together, or is it just normal with seam allowances?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005 09:05:23 AM »

I can easily check how the wool is peiced, the lining is open at the bottom (will do this later today, have a shopping date w/my mom!).

As for the armhole, it's the seam itself coming apart, and I guess my big quandry with that is the size issue, if I should wait to repair that until I figure out how to upsize the coat, or what?  I have a feeling that the seam coming apart is due to my slightly-too-large-shoulders issue, and wearing the coat anyways Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thai Fried Chicken
How to Make a Chinese Beef Noodle Dish
The Classics: Hong Thaimee Makes Laab
How to Make an Asian Shrimp and Fruit Salad
How to Cook With Bean Sprouts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...