A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Minneapolis rocks!  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bryonyramsden
« on: November 10, 2005 06:18:52 AM »

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who made recommendations for what to do in Minneapolis and St Paul.  I'm still there - I have a couple of days left, but DB has finished the conference now, so I get to spend more time with him.  We are heading to the Childrens' Museum today to see the Japanese exhibit with Totoro and the Catbus Cheesy  I've been to the Walker Art Center, which was just stunning.  I feel so lucky to have seen some of Rothko's works (and actually the more I think about it the more I'd like to make a throw like one of his paintings).  The sculpture garden was cool too.  And Loring Park - DB and I have been several times to feed the squirrels, and have some really good pics Cheesy  I've also visited the Science Museum, which was fab - we don't have anything as interactive as that in the UK, or if we do it is for little kids, but this was excellent.  I liked the way the displays talked across to you, so worked for any age.

As for yarn shopping, I've visited Depth of Field, which I wish I could take back home with me so that they can set up a store there Wink  Bought some gorgeous stuff and spent way too much, but you can't get any of the things I bought at home, so I think I'm allowed it Cheesy  Got 3 balls of Diakeito Diamusee, 3 of Artful Yarns Candy, and 3 of these big chunky super soft 100% wool yarns, that I can't remember the name of, but are lovely soft pink.  And some needles to knit the yarn with.  And a needle felting kit.  And some magazines.  And Socks Soar on Two Needles.  Yay!  So far, despite best intentions, I've only played with what I bought, and have managed to knit the chunky stuff into a loop using two circs, and I never realised how easy it would be.  Yay!  But I love all of these.

Then I went to Crafty Planet yesterday, despite feeling like I was in the wrong place (but it was good to see some of America's suburbia, and it is lovely).  I am in love with this shop too.  The guy there says they can do mail order to the UK, which is cool (and he also helped me find bus times back to Downtown when he realised I may have missed the bus I caught there).  I bought some very very cool fabric with teeth on (sounds mad, but it is very cute, and rather funny Cheesy), an Amy Butler messenger bag pattern to use the fabric on, a skirt pattern, 4 balls of Lionbrand Landscapes in Rose Garden (I've wanted some of this for a while, but there is only one stockist in the UK, and they charge the same in dollars as in pounds, so it is much cheaper to buy here - try one dollar is 1.70 and work it out!), and a gauge counter/needle sizer.  I think that might be it...  I've heard mixed news on the Landscapes as to whether it felts or not, but I love the colour of it, so one way or another I'll find something to make out of it Smiley

I've also been impressed with how lovely the residents are, and how friendly they've been towards me, whether they realised I was a tourist or not.  I heard residents were rather reserved, and indeed someone else on DB's conference complained about the attitudes of the people here, but I've experienced nothing but warmth, politeness and chatty people.  Maybe that's because I'm english - we don't like people to be too friendly!  But when I was out yesterday going to Crafty Planet, it was really windy, and a sweet little old lady was at a crossing in Downtown with me, and made a joke about getting blown away to me Smiley  Then when I was in the suburbs having made my purchases, a lady walking her dog came up and said 'Ah, so you've been yarn shopping then!' and we started chatting about the shop and how we hoped they'd make a good go of the business (they better do - I want to order things in future from them!).  I've also been told in the Science Museum that my scarf (a mongolian woolly thing) was beautiful, had a political conversation with a barman who was just the funniest guy when he got going and was happy for us to take the mickey out of each other's political systems Smiley and had a conversation with a cashier in Target about the kind of bread I was buying (honey white if you are interested!).  Which reminds me.  Target is fab, but it was a bit surreal to be a bit jet lagged and see the British Aisle in the cosmetics section.  Boots stuff is a staple in the UK, and the prices are pretty good here, so I recommend it to you all.  Particularly the No 7 foundation (one of which is rather similar to a Clinique one but much cheaper - the one that compensates for dryness AND oiliness)...  Shame I missed the cheap yarn tho Sad

Anyway, I've already wittered on lot, but thank you everyone who contributed to my post for all your help and hints and tips.  I feel very at home here, but I couldn't have done half of it without you lot.  And if you are interested, DB has some pics up on www.daveyp.com/gallery.  Mostly squirrels at the mo, and an absolutely horrendous shot of us after we got in from 18 hours of travelling and felt very very very jetlagged...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
teruterubouzu
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005 07:26:12 AM »

I'm glad you have had a nice visit and am impressed that you made it to Crafty Planet on the bus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeepers
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005 07:48:18 AM »

One of my favorite people lives in Minn (I miss her so much) and she loves it there...I'm happy to know you had a nice visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

find what you love
love what you find
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Side Chignon Wedding Hairstyle
How to Use a Flat Iron For Perfectly Straight Hair
Celebrity Inspired Wedding Hairstyles
7 Hairstyle Toppers For Your Wedding
6 Sizzling Wedding Hair Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...