A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,521
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warm Braid Cable Wristwarmers -- with PATTERN  (Read 8346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

litlnemo
« on: November 08, 2005 11:13:44 PM »

I have been working on a pair of cable wristwarmers and the associated pattern.

I basically wanted wristwarmers that didn't cover the thumb or the knuckles, because the ones I have that do interfere with my typing. And I really wanted to try a cable, a really obvious one. But not just a plain rope cable, as that seemed a little too boring. So I went off looking for a cable pattern I liked that would fit on the back of the wristwarmers. I found a loose braid in the Knitters' Bible (I think) and liked it, so that is what I used. I gave the wristwarmers ribbed cuffs and a two-row buttonhole-style thumbhole (horizontal, and it turned out to be much easier than I expected).

Here they are:

The pattern is available as a PDF download at: http://slumberland.org/patterns/warm_cable_armwarmers.pdf. It calls for Cascade Pastaza bulky yarn, 50% wool/50% llama, which is really wonderful yarn. I love it to death! Smiley

This is the first pattern I have really written up from scratch. I want to eventually be able to create more elaborate works, so this is a start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimski
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005 07:37:44 AM »

They are beautiful.
Well done and thanks for the pattern.
(hmm, that sounds like "so long and thanks for all the fish" . Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005 09:49:26 AM »

Pretty. I've been wanting to try cables like that. I've only done really basic ones. I might have to give these a try. Thanks for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Huhwhat?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005 10:39:29 AM »

Beautiful! These will go on the "make for me" list! Thanks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovemyff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005 10:43:10 AM »

Gorgeous. Just what I've been looking for. I love the color too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005 02:04:43 PM »

Thank you everyone!

Craftykate, these cables really are easy -- they look more complicated than they are. So definitely, go for it.

I am really looking forward to seeing how these turn out if anyone makes them. Please post photos! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jodi1978
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005 02:48:33 PM »

Sad I cant get to pattern.  Boo Hoo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shsh
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005 02:57:24 PM »

i adore these~ would this be for a more advanced knitter? hmmm, i'm so new to knitting and have yet to experiment with cables...my daughter has been begging for knitted wrist warmers, as she already has several crochet ones! really beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When people have lost their authentic personal taste, they lose their personality and become the instruments of other people's wills.--Robert Graves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonrhythm/
http://del.icio.us/dandelion
pink.octopus
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005 03:06:10 PM »

Those look great!  I've been looking for a pattern like this, too... I'll definitely have to try them out! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005 03:31:26 PM »

Sad I cant get to pattern. Boo Hoo

Hmm, I just checked and the pattern is there and the webserver seems to be working... if you PM me your e-mail address, though, I can e-mail you a copy.

Quote from: shsh
i adore these~ would this be for a more advanced knitter? hmmm, i'm so new to knitting and have yet to experiment with cables...my daughter has been begging for knitted wrist warmers, as she already has several crochet ones! really beautiful work.

Thanks! I wouldn't call this advanced... It probably counts as intermediate or advanced-beginner. I only started knitting in April, so it's not too hard. Basically the skills you need for this are: knit, purl, circular knitting, and using the cable needle... but that's easy. You just slip one or two stitches onto the cable needle, then knit the next one or two stitches beyond that the normal way. Then you go back and knit the one or two stitches that are sitting on the cable needle. That's all there is to it -- it's easier than I would ever have thought. The instructions explain which stitches to put on the cable needle, etc.

I think this is a fun project to learn cables on as this particular cable is very easy (you are never cabling more than two stitches, so you don't have to do a lot of tugging to make it work, and you aren't worrying about doing any increases or decreases or anything else that would complicate it). This was only my second cables project myself (the other being Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from SnB). I think this is easier than the SnB armwarmers, which had a couple of killer stitches.

Quote from: pink.octopus
Those look great!  I've been looking for a pattern like this, too... I'll definitely have to try them out!

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Straighten with the Measure Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...