A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warm Braid Cable Wristwarmers -- with PATTERN  (Read 8482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

litlnemo
« on: November 08, 2005 11:13:44 PM »

I have been working on a pair of cable wristwarmers and the associated pattern.

I basically wanted wristwarmers that didn't cover the thumb or the knuckles, because the ones I have that do interfere with my typing. And I really wanted to try a cable, a really obvious one. But not just a plain rope cable, as that seemed a little too boring. So I went off looking for a cable pattern I liked that would fit on the back of the wristwarmers. I found a loose braid in the Knitters' Bible (I think) and liked it, so that is what I used. I gave the wristwarmers ribbed cuffs and a two-row buttonhole-style thumbhole (horizontal, and it turned out to be much easier than I expected).

Here they are:

The pattern is available as a PDF download at: http://slumberland.org/patterns/warm_cable_armwarmers.pdf. It calls for Cascade Pastaza bulky yarn, 50% wool/50% llama, which is really wonderful yarn. I love it to death! Smiley

This is the first pattern I have really written up from scratch. I want to eventually be able to create more elaborate works, so this is a start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimski
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005 07:37:44 AM »

They are beautiful.
Well done and thanks for the pattern.
(hmm, that sounds like "so long and thanks for all the fish" . Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005 09:49:26 AM »

Pretty. I've been wanting to try cables like that. I've only done really basic ones. I might have to give these a try. Thanks for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Huhwhat?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005 10:39:29 AM »

Beautiful! These will go on the "make for me" list! Thanks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovemyff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005 10:43:10 AM »

Gorgeous. Just what I've been looking for. I love the color too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005 02:04:43 PM »

Thank you everyone!

Craftykate, these cables really are easy -- they look more complicated than they are. So definitely, go for it.

I am really looking forward to seeing how these turn out if anyone makes them. Please post photos! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jodi1978
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005 02:48:33 PM »

Sad I cant get to pattern.  Boo Hoo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shsh
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005 02:57:24 PM »

i adore these~ would this be for a more advanced knitter? hmmm, i'm so new to knitting and have yet to experiment with cables...my daughter has been begging for knitted wrist warmers, as she already has several crochet ones! really beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When people have lost their authentic personal taste, they lose their personality and become the instruments of other people's wills.--Robert Graves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonrhythm/
http://del.icio.us/dandelion
pink.octopus
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005 03:06:10 PM »

Those look great!  I've been looking for a pattern like this, too... I'll definitely have to try them out! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005 03:31:26 PM »

Sad I cant get to pattern. Boo Hoo

Hmm, I just checked and the pattern is there and the webserver seems to be working... if you PM me your e-mail address, though, I can e-mail you a copy.

Quote from: shsh
i adore these~ would this be for a more advanced knitter? hmmm, i'm so new to knitting and have yet to experiment with cables...my daughter has been begging for knitted wrist warmers, as she already has several crochet ones! really beautiful work.

Thanks! I wouldn't call this advanced... It probably counts as intermediate or advanced-beginner. I only started knitting in April, so it's not too hard. Basically the skills you need for this are: knit, purl, circular knitting, and using the cable needle... but that's easy. You just slip one or two stitches onto the cable needle, then knit the next one or two stitches beyond that the normal way. Then you go back and knit the one or two stitches that are sitting on the cable needle. That's all there is to it -- it's easier than I would ever have thought. The instructions explain which stitches to put on the cable needle, etc.

I think this is a fun project to learn cables on as this particular cable is very easy (you are never cabling more than two stitches, so you don't have to do a lot of tugging to make it work, and you aren't worrying about doing any increases or decreases or anything else that would complicate it). This was only my second cables project myself (the other being Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from SnB). I think this is easier than the SnB armwarmers, which had a couple of killer stitches.

Quote from: pink.octopus
Those look great!  I've been looking for a pattern like this, too... I'll definitely have to try them out!

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Velour
Lady of the Scissors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005 03:45:54 PM »

Aaa! They're the perfect thing, but I can't open the pdf! Any chance you can post the instructions in a diff format? It might be that it's just my comp...  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
litlnemo
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005 03:52:24 PM »

Aaa! They're the perfect thing, but I can't open the pdf! Any chance you can post the instructions in a diff format? It might be that it's just my comp...  Embarrassed

Hmm, I know the pdf is ok because a bunch of people have opened it... so I wonder why it won't work on some computers? Hmm. Anyway, I will try to get a web page version up soon. That will take a little longer because I have to turn the chart into a graphic for the web. Tonight or tomorrow I will see if I can do this. Thanks for letting me know that you are having a problem with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robin
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005 03:57:22 PM »

I could've sworn I saw some stylish hipster in my neighborhood wearing these today--but I see we're on opposite sides of the country, so it couldn't've been you. A lightning-fast knitter must've jumped on your pattern already. (really, same color and everything)

Lovely work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velour
Lady of the Scissors

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005 04:00:45 PM »

Hmm, I know the pdf is ok because a bunch of people have opened it... so I wonder why it won't work on some computers? Hmm. Anyway, I will try to get a web page version up soon. That will take a little longer because I have to turn the chart into a graphic for the web. Tonight or tomorrow I will see if I can do this. Thanks for letting me know that you are having a problem with it.

Oopsie, never mind! I was determined to get that pattern, so I bumped my bro off his comp, and it worked fine  Wink Thanks for the pattern! I've been looking for a good wrist warmer pattern for a little while, and this was the best board. I'm a beginner whose *sort of* mastered the basics, but I figure I'll have to tackle something sooner or later. I'll post how it goes!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
BraveFool

Third Knitter of the Apocalypse

View Profile
!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005 06:34:17 PM »

Those are just so darn awesome! Hmmm, maybe that'll be next on my list... after I finish (well, okay, after I start and finish) Christmas presents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodi1978
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005 09:37:16 PM »

I sent you a PM.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005 01:44:55 AM »

I could've sworn I saw some stylish hipster in my neighborhood wearing these today--but I see we're on opposite sides of the country, so it couldn't've been you. A lightning-fast knitter must've jumped on your pattern already. (really, same color and everything)

Lovely work!

Thanks!

Heh, I think everyone north of latitude 40 or so has wristwarmers on the brain lately. My husband set the heat in our house to 57 during the day! (While HE is gone but I am here. Hmph.) So I have to do something to keep from freezing. (That and turn up the heat when he's not looking! Shocked )Cables are sort of an obvious design for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are making and wearing cabled wristwarmers now. Midnightsky1686 here on Craftster came out with a pattern for braid cable wristwarmers this week too (see them here, which are sort of similar to mine and yet also rather different. Smiley

Velour, I'm looking forward to seeing them! And BraveFool, thanks!

By the way, I replaced the pattern PDF with a smaller one (it was over 4 megs before, and I think that might be why some people had trouble downloading it). So if you had trouble before, try again. Jodi1978, I'll e-mail you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jodi1978
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005 08:24:27 AM »

Thank you so much. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005 08:34:33 AM »

This is a great project!! Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

litlnemo
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005 04:05:45 AM »

Quoting myself for a moment...

Heh, I think everyone north of latitude 40 or so has wristwarmers on the brain lately.  (...)  Cables are sort of an obvious design for them, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are making and wearing cabled wristwarmers now.

Someone mentioned Knitscene magazine in a forum I was reading tonight, and I finally checked out their website to look at the photos -- they have braid cabled wristwarmers too! (They call them "fingerless mitts"!) They look kind of like mine, only they seem to be a lot longer, and the ribbed cuffs are shorter! They use a bunch more yarn (different yarn too, of course). I can't tell which type of thumbhole they are using. I guess I will have to pick up that magazine if I ever see it show up at the newsstand and see how similar it really is.

Anyway, it looks like if you want cabled wristwarmers/armwarmer/mitts/gauntlets/whatever you want to call them, there are a lot of choices this autumn! A lot. Smiley Heh. I had no idea I was that much a part of the knitting zeitgeist.

I'm beginning to think I should have used a different cable.  Wink But I do like that braid.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

art_grrls_are_easy

How I adore you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005 07:04:32 AM »

These are fabulous! Thanks for the pattern. I'm getting all stocked up for a Chicago winter over here...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty mcknitknit

I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, down it goes

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007 09:17:00 AM »

Way to renew a thread! I made these last fall and sent them to a friend in Boston. I used a dark blue Manos, much darker than this photo makes it seems. They're warm and lovely. thanks for the pattern!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010 08:42:08 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystic_rabbit
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007 12:46:25 AM »

Really nice...thanks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michele1620
JP Knitting Lady!

Love me, love my crafts!

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007 04:40:27 AM »

What a fabulous way to start!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

litlnemo
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007 06:01:23 AM »

Way to renew a thread! I made these last fall and sent them to a friend in Boston. I used a dark blue Manos, much darker than this photo makes it seems. They're warm and lovely. thanks for the pattern!

I am glad you liked the pattern! I added a link to this post to my gallery of folks who have knitted the pattern (on the pattern page at http://slumberland.org/wp/2005/11/08/pattern-warm-braid-cable-wristwarmers/).  So many neat wristwarmers! Thanks for knitting my pattern! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shortstuff411

Yarn Frog Princess and sometime Knittin' Kitten

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007 06:20:57 AM »

Thanks, i was trying to work out a pattern for armwarmers just like this yesterday- YAY!! now I will have one ready made that I know is ok!  Wink

I wanted to do mine rainbow striped... and now with the 'wild stripes' blanket on here, it's gonna be warm camping for me!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use IR Converted Camera
How to Understand Qualities Of Storm Light
How to Photograph Architectural Patterns
How to Create Extraordinary Colors
How to Take a Pet Photograph
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...