A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to keep the neck warm on those cold winter nights.... Denim Scarf!  (Read 5990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andi_sunrider
« on: November 08, 2005 06:14:37 PM »

Okay, so originally I was thinking that I would weave a purse, but didn't have enough time to make a loom kind of thing, so I decided to make something totally different! So I cut two pairs of jeans ($2 each from the thrift store) into 1/2 inch strips, trying to stay on the grain as much as possible, and sewed all the peices together with the sewing machine with a quick zigzag and backstitch. Then I spent several hours knitting them up! I had to purchase new needles, size 15mm, and was amused that the needles were more than the jeans....

The full shot!

A closeup of the closure, with a button I stole from my sister that just slides through the loose knit.

So the way I sewed them together, I alternated between the light and the dark, so it created an awesome design, I think:

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, and am contemplating how it would work with other materials.... Cutting the jeans out took a long time, I think it would have been much easier if I'd been cutting straight from fabric. This challenge has totally been awesome, I'm glad this theme was so awesome and has produced so much awesome and original stuff!!

Andi
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 06:15:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
binderclips
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005 06:59:16 PM »

woah. thats really cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eirinnkelly
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005 07:49:19 PM »

That's great, awesome idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005 11:59:59 PM »

Sewing the pieces together must have been a hell of a job, but the knitting I bet was very rewarding. Great!
Gr,
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andi_sunrider
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005 01:34:58 AM »

Sewing the pieces together must have been a hell of a job, but the knitting I bet was very rewarding. Great!

The most time consuming part was snipping the threads, actually, the sewing on the machine was a snap! It was really fun to knot; I actually haven't knit anything in about four years, so I'm glad it's pretty even!

Andi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005 10:25:45 PM »

such a fabulous button..... the scarf's pretty cool too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
orange_sunset

I found myself! ...Now where'd I put the scissors?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005 10:48:38 PM »

Wow! That seriously rocks! Is it warm?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kalikat

But I'm too busy to wash dishes!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005 08:13:00 AM »

I'm so glad you did this. I was going to do the same thing but got frustrated with the getting the width right and the guage, that I gave up. Yours is wonderful. It makes me want to give it another go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005 01:32:03 AM »

I'm so glad you did this. I was going to do the same thing but got frustrated with the getting the width right and the guage, that I gave up. Yours is wonderful. It makes me want to give it another go.

Funnily enough, I totally guessed, and ended up going with the midrange priced needles. I went to this specialty knitting store, and just stood there looking at the needles for awhile. The salesperson asked me what I was looking for, and told me that the yarn should suggest a needle size. When I told her I was knitting 1/5 strips of denim together, she "smiled and nodded" and left me to my own devices. I should really go in there again while wearing this....

Wow! That seriously rocks! Is it warm?
It's really cosy, actually, as as it's so thick! I can adjust it a bit, too - the tighter it is around my neck, the warmer it is, so if I'm cold, I just button it up through the stitches in a different place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Hairstyles
How to Start a Beauty Salon
Coloring Techniques with John Simpson - Part 2
Professional Hair Color Technique Lesson
Hair Foil Coloring Technique
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...