A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,198
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cat tipi  (Read 5003 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

becarita
« on: May 19, 2004 10:00:52 AM »

I originally made this for my friend's little boy, but as soon as i finished it, my cats decided that they wanted one too.  So I thought I would share this.   I posted the pictures and directions here:  http://www.geocities.com/bmorrette/cattipi.htm   (sorry, I haven't quite figured out how to post photos on here yet)

And here's the directions:

I made this kind a cool, kinda quick cat tipi for a friend of mine (acutally it was for her son, but it turns out my cats had more fun with it).  So I thought I would post the instructions in case anyone was interested.
Hope you like it!

Materials:

2 yards of canvas (I got mine at walmart for pretty cheap)
6 36 inch dowel rods
twine
glue gun
and anything you want to put on it for decoration

Instructions:

Take 3 of the 6 dowel rods and lean them into each other so they form a tripod.  Hot glue these three together.  Then once, the glue dries, grab the other 3 and place them in the spaces in the tripod.  Hot glue those to the original tripod.  Thats your basic framework for the tipi. 

Next take the twine, hot glue it into place and wrap it around where all the poles meet (or where the bulk of your hot glue is).

Heres the tricky part You can probably do one of two things here.  What I did to get the size for the canvas cover was to take a piece of extra long twine, hold it at the top, where all the poles meet, and run it down one of the poles.  I cut the twine where it met the floor.  From there I spread out my canvas and pinned the twine that I used to measure, to the center of the canvas.  I stretched out the twine with a pencil at the end, and created a semi circle. (I had a lot of extra fabric at the bottom.  I had to pin the fabric to the twine and go back and re-cut the fabric)

Or I think you could take the tripod, lay it on its side, roll the tripod over your canvas, following the bottom part of the poles with a pencil to get your basic shape.

I cut out about an in of extra fabric so that I could stitch up the bottom, so it looked a bit neater and the canvas wouldnt unravel.

Next I took top of the cover for my tipi and hot glued that to the twine.  And thats basically it.  I still need to decorate it.  As soon as I put it on the floor to take a picture of it, Jimbo and Kinky D (the cats) had already claimed it as theirs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004 12:46:03 PM »

I love that idea! And wow, my two cats look EXACTLY like yours! Here's a pic, because I'm such a dork.

Libby 10 months

Lucy 10 years

Well, those aren't the best pics that I have of them... but you get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004 01:45:50 PM »

Your cats are SO CUTE! (both of you...) and the tipi is so cute I can hardly stand it. Sometimes it's a bummer having a violent terrier that would rip something like that down in an instant...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
becarita
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004 02:11:36 PM »

Our cats could be separated at birth!  The tipi was super easy to make.  The hard part was keeping them away from it from it long enough to finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gabbagabbahey
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004 10:32:23 AM »

Now I want to make one for my cat, but its soo dumb it would probably pass it up and go sleep on a bed.  At least i could have the fun of making one, maybe my nefew would want to play with it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion fades, only style remains the same.

A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.

~ Coco Chanel
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004 12:06:03 PM »

Ah!  That made me giggle with the visual of my cat, Onineko, starting at me like I had gone off my rocker, if I made her something like that!

I personally think it is adorable.  Oni, on the other hand - has a distinct preference for sleeping and hanging out on everything she shouldn't.  Every time I make or buy her a bed - she'll choose to sleep on my clothing, or on the package the bed came in.  Or worst still, my kimono - if I am doing kitsuke!

I might still have to try it one day though!  Thank you for the instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004 08:00:07 PM »

haha.  he stuck his tongue out at me.  oh dear, i'm slap happy from homework.  your cat tipi is the shizzle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IceCreamCone
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004 08:23:09 PM »

Because I love kitties so much (I work/volunteer at an animal shelter) - anything cat related gets a huge smile from me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Date Night Lookbook
Rebecca Looks at Lingerie Trends for All Shapes and Sizes
What to Wear to Work in This Freezing Weather
How to Get a 90s Look
How to Texture Clash Your Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...