A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie-inspired capelet- By julsey723  (Read 151589 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aijay
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2006 11:00:50 PM »

luckychere, don't be discouraged-- for my first year of knitting i had to restart every project about 5 times.  argh!  i still have false starts all the time.  good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caramelo

Knitting soothes me...

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2006 10:09:01 AM »

First I measured around her neck/collarbone where I wanted the sweater to fit, it was about 11 inches.  The gauge for Softee Chunky is 15st on size 10s.

11/4 = 2.75 x 15 = 41.25

This is the number of stitches to cast on, I decided to use size 10.5 needles so I figured I would only cast on 39 st.

I did seed stitch instead of ribbing for 5 rows, then separated the sections out

39/6 = 6 so there aer 6 st per section, with three leftover, so this is how I divided it up

7 front, 6 sleeve, 13 back, 6 sleeve, 7 front

Then I just did as the pattern said with the YO increases, except I did a 4 st seed stich border.  I did 11 sets of increases and it turned out just right for the sleeve measurement (measurement of upper arm, I did it a little looser so she could wear it for longer)

I added a few rows to the sleeves and the body before doing a seed stitch edge on them, you really can do anything, it's so versatile!

You should be able to whip up one for a 6 month old in no time Smiley  Just plug her measurments in (you just need neck/collarbone and upper arm).

Good luck!

Thanks a million   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neuromancer
« Reply #452 on: April 17, 2006 05:46:52 AM »

When I first saw this pattern, I was sooo jealous because I didn't know how to knit (only crochet-- hadn't seen the crochet version at that point). Then I forgot about it, and re-found it recently... and now I KNOW how to knit! Well, I'm still a beginner and have only been at it a few months. So this is my very first clothing-like project. I'm totally annoyed that I had to completely start from scratch  when I realized about an hour ago that over the course of about 2 inches I totally forgot to k2 at the end of the odd rows, grrrr! Angry So I'm still working on the initial ribbing section. I'm using KnitPicks Sierra (I loove Sierra) and size 11 circulars, so hopefully I'll be okay size-wise.

This was my first "clothing-like project," too.  Sorry you had to start over!  I found it to be a pretty quick knit, so you should make up the stitches soon.  I've had to rip out my current project at least 3 times, so I know the frustration.

Here's my finished product:

I added length (I'm tall) by adding more ribbing.  And I like the way it looks open, rather than pinned.  What a great pattern!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006 05:55:16 AM by Neuromancer » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RandomCrafter

I like to Move It, Move It.

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 17, 2006 02:53:00 PM »

I'm really thinking about starting this project but my problem is I am a big girl. Size DD chest...I saw someone on page 20 something made it longer (about waist long) and made 3/4 sleeves. I want to make it something like this. Would this be hard for an advanced beginner to do? I have to finish Clapotis before I even *think* about buying yarn for this (who am I kidding I already have the yarn picked out) but I just wanted to know how hard it is to adjust and if anyone can lead me in the direction to learn how. Hehe

**edited to add: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62281.150 just like the one lasandri did on page 16 that's how I would like mine hehe
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006 04:42:29 PM by RandomCrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2006 01:12:38 AM »

I'm really thinking about starting this project but my problem is I am a big girl. Size DD chest...I saw someone on page 20 something made it longer (about waist long) and made 3/4 sleeves. I want to make it something like this. Would this be hard for an advanced beginner to do? I have to finish Clapotis before I even *think* about buying yarn for this (who am I kidding I already have the yarn picked out) but I just wanted to know how hard it is to adjust and if anyone can lead me in the direction to learn how. Hehe

**edited to add: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62281.150 just like the one lasandri did on page 16 that's how I would like mine hehe

Hi again Renee!

I am a larger chested girl, and this pattern is totally easy to adjust.

I actually posted the mods that I used a couple pages before that post that Sandra (lasandri) made- I was the first to make it longer, and I helped her with hers, and here is what I wrote:

Emms - your longer capelet looks lovely. I made a short one for a friend because I'd never wear it short - but I might make a long one thanks to you. So - a  couple of questions.

You said in an earlier post you added stitches to the front - did you actually add them at the end of the rows or where the side seam would be if it had a seam? I'm thinking the side would keep the "grain line" or whatever you call that column of stitches straight.

How much extra yarn did you use?

Sally

Here are the mods I made:

I measured just my bust from arm pit to armpit (with a bra on,this is important if you plan on wearing this with a bra, lol) and it was 22" across, and my gauge was 3 sts = 1", so I knew each front piece of the capelet had to be about 32 sts each, to close in the front. (22 x 3 = 66 sts, then divide by two for both fronts= 33, I just did 32 to keep it in even numbers)

So I just increased 2 stitches where (you are right Sally, go to the head of the class!  Wink ) the "side seam" would go, increasing every knit row (if you wearing this stockinette side out) or on the purl side if you are wearing it reverse stockinette side out. So my row looked like this:

Row 2 (AND ALL EVEN # ROWS): K to last 2 stitches before first marker, KIF&B (knit into front and back of stitch) twice, (this is the left front) SM, knit to last marker, SM, KIF&B twice, K to end (this is the right front)
Cont until you have the amount of stitches you need to have the front close (for me that was 32 stitches on each front piece), then stop increasing!

This makes a fairly undectable slant (like a dart on sewn items) under the armpit of the cardi.
Continue with the normal instructions, and after you split the body from the sleeves, cont in patt for 8 more inches, ending with 20 rows of 1x1 ribbing. I make the sleeves a bit longer by picking up the stitches and knitting 2 rows before doing 7 rows of 1x1 rib.

I used about 3 skeins of Bernat Softee Chunky (i think, because this is from an RIP project) and size 8mm needles, which made it very drapey.

BTW-  Don't use Bernat Softee Chunky and 8mm needles! Mine turned out way too loose and drapey, so I never wear it. Use the needle size that the ball band recommends for the yarn. I was a bit more newbie and learned that the hard way at that point  Roll Eyes

Anyway, hope that helps, let me know of any other questions!

Emms
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006 01:19:10 AM by loisgriffinwannabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RandomCrafter

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 18, 2006 07:09:49 AM »

Oh! Thanks so much Emms! If I wanted my sleeves to be closer to the wrist would I measure from the edge of my shoulder to the wrist to figure out how long to make it? I'll definitly be using your adjustments to make it longer and close more because I get enough attention to that area...I don't need something emphasizing it anymore LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lynn
« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2006 01:16:00 PM »

i wore mine today so i felt like i had to take a picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60125144@N00/130955559/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2006 01:37:05 PM »

this is incredibly nurdy of me

but is that a canon digital rebel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2006 01:52:49 PM »

Oh! Thanks so much Emms! If I wanted my sleeves to be closer to the wrist would I measure from the edge of my shoulder to the wrist to figure out how long to make it?

No, you don't need to do that at the start... when you are making it, you will be putting the live sleeve stitches on scrap yarn, and finishing the rest of the sweater first, so after you finish the body part, you can try it on, and decide on the sleeve length then. This will make more sense when you are making it...

Emms Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RandomCrafter

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2006 06:01:58 PM »

Oh! Thanks so much Emms! If I wanted my sleeves to be closer to the wrist would I measure from the edge of my shoulder to the wrist to figure out how long to make it?

No, you don't need to do that at the start... when you are making it, you will be putting the live sleeve stitches on scrap yarn, and finishing the rest of the sweater first, so after you finish the body part, you can try it on, and decide on the sleeve length then. This will make more sense when you are making it...

Emms Grin

Oh ok! That does make more sense hehe. Is it bad that I haven't even bought the yarn for this yet but I bought the shirt I want to wear under it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Repurposing Cans Into Ribbon Covered Vases
How to Make Recycled Bows
Creating Hanging Votive Candles
How to Make Paper Mache
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...