A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie-inspired capelet- By julsey723  (Read 149690 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erikasewing
« Reply #700 on: April 16, 2007 03:50:26 PM »

Here is my version of the capelet.  I made it longer and turned it into a cardigan.  Also, I added the crochet ties (and a couple of glass beads at the ends).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30373688@N00/462005567/in/set-72157594534557723/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekatiest

I like to verb words. It weirds the language.

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2007 04:48:40 PM »

So, I started the capelet, then realized when I got to the bottom ribbing, that I would never wear it that short.  I decided to try making it longer like some of you did.  I added a couple rows of purling, then alternating cables and ribs.

front, back, close-up of cable (closer to true colors) -

I also thought this would be a good intro to cables for me.  I went to www.knittingfool.com and searched around the stitch pattern index until I found one that looked easy enough.  Now I'm +2 to knitting!

The only thing I didn't realize was how much the cables pulled in the  fabric. The front has more of a cut-away shape now. Will the stitches ever "relax" a little? I don't think I can block this very much, because it's an acrylic/poly blend.  If not, I'm thinking of calling the cut-away look a "design element"... Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2007 06:05:00 PM »

yup, cables sure do pull in.  You've got yourself a "design element"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chillsession
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2007 08:08:53 PM »

here is mine! i needed something to A) go over a strapless dress and B) to use up some extra yarn i had

i was a little worried about fixing it to my six but since i was using red heart i figured it would turn out a little smaller than if i had used chunky wool like the first person did, and it turned out awesomely and cant wait to wear it...its my first shirt/sweater like thing ever, ive been scared to make them up til now so maybe i will start to venture from hats scarves and afghans

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 02:21:37 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #704 on: April 22, 2007 09:11:29 AM »

Okay, I'm a bit of insomniac, so it's no surprise that I finished mine last night at about 3am! I made a few changes to the pattern - mine has a braided tie at the neck instead of a button, I made it alot longer, so it would cover my lower back (which can get cold in the summer) and I added a couple of rows of stocking stitch under the ribbing at the sleeves and back, so it would roll a little. I also wear it the knit side out because it suits the yarn better. I love it and I'm happy that it managed to use up a lot of my scraps of yarn, some of which were only about a foot long *lol* Yeah, I'm a cheapskate and won't throw bits away  Wink I've been wearing it all day!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

policyoftruth
"Eighth time's the charm!"

Fudgesicles?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #705 on: April 22, 2007 05:38:24 PM »

No pictures of my progress yet, but I am only a few more repeats away from being done with the raglan increases. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #706 on: April 23, 2007 02:41:14 PM »

Here's mine

I used caron simply soft, which is actually soft, who knew, I wasnt sure if I would like my own so I didnt want to spend to much money at first, Its so easy and quick I figure I can always make another in better yarn.

I also knit with 2 strands together, this is a very thick stiff fabric, maybe if I try washing it , it wil relax a little, it also likes to stick out in the back on the bottom, which is annoying,

I made it a little longer to cover my tank tops, I couldnt decide on the sleeves so I met myself in the middle not too short not too long, I do like the color though its heathey gray

I casted on 55 I think and didnt follow the instructions I later found about the back being an odd number, but it doestn really bother me anyway, I also added a couple increases for the back since I have broad shoulders I was afraid of it not being big enough

I dont have any buttons to close with so i just used my hair clip for the pictures, I almost want to pick up stitches along the front and creat a closure, has anyone does this?  I'm not to terribly excited about it at this point, but its a start

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #707 on: April 23, 2007 05:36:31 PM »

I've seen some with a chain or I cord to make a tie closure.

I think if you're going to use a chunky yarn or 2 strands, you need to use larger needles or what you knit does come out too stiff and dense. That's just me, but I do use 6-7mm needles on worsted weight because I like looser gauge.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
policyoftruth
"Eighth time's the charm!"

Fudgesicles?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: April 24, 2007 12:30:05 PM »

Here's mine

I used caron simply soft, which is actually soft, who knew, I wasnt sure if I would like my own so I didnt want to spend to much money at first, Its so easy and quick I figure I can always make another in better yarn.

I also knit with 2 strands together, this is a very thick stiff fabric, maybe if I try washing it , it wil relax a little, it also likes to stick out in the back on the bottom, which is annoying,

I made it a little longer to cover my tank tops, I couldnt decide on the sleeves so I met myself in the middle not too short not too long, I do like the color though its heathey gray

I casted on 55 I think and didnt follow the instructions I later found about the back being an odd number, but it doestn really bother me anyway, I also added a couple increases for the back since I have broad shoulders I was afraid of it not being big enough

I dont have any buttons to close with so i just used my hair clip for the pictures, I almost want to pick up stitches along the front and creat a closure, has anyone does this?  I'm not to terribly excited about it at this point, but its a start
Great job! I should've done some increases as well, oh well maybe next time.

Is the Simply Soft too hot? Acrylic can be pretty stuffy and as inexpensive as it is, down here in Georgia it isn't the best option Tongue

As for a closure, I second what soozeq said, i-cord would make a great closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #709 on: April 24, 2007 01:10:33 PM »

Great job! I should've done some increases as well, oh well maybe next time.

Is the Simply Soft too hot? Acrylic can be pretty stuffy and as inexpensive as it is, down here in Georgia it isn't the best option Tongue

As for a closure, I second what soozeq said, i-cord would make a great closure.

oh thank you so much for the compliment, the increases were fine for my broad shoulders, I added them thinking I didnt have enough cast on in the beginning,  but I should of thought ahead because now at the bottom it tends to stick out away from my body, so maybe some decreases after that?? if your going to make it longer that is, (shaping for the waist) but then it wouldnt be so quick and easy!!

It has been in the upper 60s here and Ive worn it outside over my tank top not problem,  but in the car, its definitely hot, the yarn was double stranded so its really thick, Im pretty sure it would be too hot for Georgia, you guys have the humidity that i no longer have to deal with :0)  I want to make another with some lighter yarn for the cool summer nights, I live in tank tops, so this is perfect for me!

oh btw I recently purchased and I-cord maker, so cool, just load up and crank it out, I love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
How to Fold an Origami Sailboat
How to Fold an Origami Swan
How to Fold an Origami Heart
How to Fold an Origami Ninja Star
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...