A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anthropologie-inspired capelet - Pattern + Tutorial!  (Read 483550 times)
Tags for this thread: shrug , capelet , tutorial , shawl , wrap , bolero , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

embuggy
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2007 08:13:34 PM »

I'm really confused with this pattern. I've taken it apart like 5 times.

With Row 3, what do you do to the right front panel?

Row 3 and all RS rows: k2, *p to next marker, yo, sl marker, p1, yo* repeat from * 3 more times, p until last 2 st, knit.

I read the pattern as purl to last 2 stitches, then knit those 2. Do you do purl 1, yo, then purl until last 2 st, knit 2?

I did it that way the first time around but ended up with the one front panel having an extra stitch than the other panel so I thought I made a mistake and re-read the instructions and it said p until last 2 st, knit but it just looks weird and only one front panel is increasing.
---------------------------
Question 2

I also have a question about my gauge (4st/1" on 10 1/2 needles), I measure 14.5" around the collarbone so I worked that out to CO 59 stitches. So I divided my sections up to 10-9-21-9-10 (left front-left sleeve-back-rt sleeve-rt front). Is that the best way to have divided it up?

The circumference of my upper arm is 9" so so I worked that out to the sleeves having 36 st (9"X4st) but with my sleeves starting out odd (9 st), is it better to have 35 or 37 st? I don't want it too tight or loose, but just snug. This is my first garment I've ever knitted so I'm not sure how much give the yarn will have, I'm using acrylic worsted weight yarn. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2007 07:37:20 AM »

k2, *p to next marker, yo, sl marker, p1, yo* repeat from * 3 more times, p until last 2 st, knit.

Using your numbers -
k2, (front band)
p8, yo, sl marker, (front)
p1, ("seam")
yo, p8, yo, sl marker, (sleeve)
p1, ("seam")
yo, p20, yo, sl marker (back)
p1("seam")
yo,p8, yo, sl marker  (sleeve)
p1, ("seam")
yo,p8, (front)
k2 (front band)

The red is the first part, the brown/teal/green/purple represent the 4 repeats, and the blue is the last part. So you end up with a yarn over/increase on each side of the front (by the sleeve not the center front), each side of both sleeves, and each side of the back.

For question 2 - I would change the sleeve section to 10 stitches, if they are an even number the "seam" will match up with the ribbing on the neck band. As for fit - I recommend putting your stitches on waste yarn and trying it on when you get the number you think it should be (based on your gauge). That is the beauty of top down, you can try it on along the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embuggy
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2007 09:23:33 AM »

Thanks so much, if I change the sleeves to 10, should I keep the front panels to 10 and make the back 19?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2007 03:06:27 PM »

Thanks so much, if I change the sleeves to 10, should I keep the front panels to 10 and make the back 19?
The front and sleeves should be even number and the back should be an odd number. So leave the fronts at 10 and make the back 19 or 21 - 2 stitches won't mattern that much just a slight difference on were the neckband lays. Personally I would leave it at 21 because I've seen quite a few that are very high up on the neck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shalanna
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2007 07:50:27 AM »

Hi!  This is an awesome pattern, and the genius who figured it out has my eternal respect!  (I am not a natural 3-D visualizer and can't even read maps very well.)  I'm wondering if any of you might be interested in making me one of these capelets (for cash--I have a PayPal account or could send concealed cash.)  I wear a size 16 typically in Macy's and Penneys clothes because of these "linebacker" wide shoulders.  I cannot knit, and I've tried . . . I would love one of these in a creamy off-white sort of yarn for summer.  Maybe a cotton yarn like those cotton sweaters for summer.  As you can see, I don't know any yarn words (duh!)  If anyone would be interested in doing this (especially if you sent a photo of your project here or to your weblog), please let me know.  I will be teaching math this summer and doing some substitute teaching this spring, and a capelet like this would let me wear sundresses . . . yay!  My email is shalanna [AT] tx *dot* rr [DOT again] com if anyone would like to do this.  I admire those of you with talent and skills!  (I wonder if it's my visual problems or just my general clumsiness that makes me so bad at knitting/crocheting. . . .)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marykz

did I say one project at a time?

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2007 06:06:23 AM »

Hi All- OK, so I'm a little late to this thread, but I love this capelet and I'm a new knitter so it took me a while.  but here are my two versions:  (since I'm so new, it has to be links, sorry)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/403855666_e01206669b_d.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/403855659_9a9a787913_d.jpg

Capelet #1, the blue and purple one uses Berroco Foliage, color 5990, on size 11 circular needles.  I followed the pattern exactly.

Capelet #2, the pink and green one, uses Patagonia hand dyed cotton, color 215, on size 11 circular needles.  I added to the garter stitch on the front edges of each side. so it was k4 on each end.

Thanks so much for posting the pattern, and everyone for posting their varieties, and giving me the inspiration.  These are my first wearable objects other than scarves and hats.  Smiley  Marykz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenMac
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2007 01:43:13 PM »

These are my first FO's as well.  Thank you so much for this pattern.  It took me a couple of times to get the YOs right, but once I had those under control, the rest was a breeze. 

Also, did anyone else see that the  Boston Globe had a picture of Abigail Breslin wearing this sweater in their Sunday magazine? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2007 07:39:45 AM »

Here's mine! 

Haven't found the right pin for the collar yet...

Think this one works?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007 07:58:58 AM by Mojo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2007 02:45:18 PM »

I think that pin is good.  I love all the rbight colours.  Very nice!

Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2007 02:57:06 PM »

oh my gosh, mojo, i love it! the pin goes great. what yarn did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Walsh Talks About Enough Already
Elizabeth Scott Talks About Living Dead Girl
John Carter Cash Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 1
Meet Author Tonya Reiman
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...